• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@roomiller :cheers:

NATO strap for the lemania arrived, as well as a tan strap for the FPJ CB

(So difficult to photograph properly)

And still in love with the movement

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In response to the Hodinkee article - I'm guilty of never owning a Speedmaster... yet. After temporarily swapping for one with a friend earlier this summer I plan to remedy that and add one to my collection this fall or winter. :nodding:
Just fun, a electronically-minded friend of mine recently acquired this fine late-sixties Patek timepiece, with bonus atomic word clock.
This is awesome! It makes me want to find something like this from one of the ships I served on (USS Belleau Wood, USS Kearsarge, USS Saipan). I did make it off one of them with a full set of dishes along with a tea service for 12 (complete with 6th Fleet flag on them) but I'd probably trade them for an atomic world clock. :rotflmao:
Hi all, this is my first time posting in this thread. There are some very beautiful timepieces! Here are two of my favourites from my small collection:
1962 Omega Constellation
1962 Omega Cal. 268 heirloom watch. I inherited this watch from my late grandfather and had it profesionally restored:
Great looking Constellation! I know a lot of folks around the web will probably give you some grief on the restoration of the dial but I think that one definitely needed it. The wear on the crystal and the dial in the "before" picture make it look almost illegible.

oldschoolcool

Reaction score

In response to the Hodinkee article - I'm guilty of never owning a Speedmaster... yet. After temporarily swapping for one with a friend earlier this summer I plan to remedy that and add one to my collection this fall or winter. :nodding:
This is awesome! It makes me want to find something like this from one of the ships I served on (USS Belleau Wood, USS Kearsarge, USS Saipan). I did make it off one of them with a full set of dishes along with a tea service for 12 (complete with 6th Fleet flag on them) but I'd probably trade them for an atomic world clock. :rotflmao:
Great looking Constellation! I know a lot of folks around the web will probably give you some grief on the restoration of the dial but I think that one definitely needed it. The wear on the crystal and the dial in the "before" picture make it look almost illegible.

Thanks! The Constellation is all original and i have the original box and papers from the single previous owner.

As you pointed out for the 268 cal., I kind of didnt have a choice. It wasent a question of light patina on the dial. The watch was in pretty rough shape. I do realize that the restauration will significantly decrease the collectability of the watch. However, seeing as it belonged to my grandfather, i will be keeping it for sentimental value. I am pretty pleased with the way it came out!

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone else read the lastest Hodinkee piece? I'm certainly not an experienced watch collector but I feel he makes some valid points, with a couple of strawmen to pad out the list. He was also a little snobbish/aggressive at some points, such as this bit "Get it right, people, otherwise you'll really look silly in front of serious watch folks."

I found #2 about Rolexes to be funny and timely, as cchen and I discussed this exact thing the other day when we met up to discuss his BLNR. When you learn just a little bit about watches, you sort of scoff at Rolex, thinking of it as the brand for people who want an expensive watch but don't actually know anything about watches. But then you learn a little more, see some more pictures on the forums, and become completely enamored with them. It's a fairly interesting phenomenon.

I read the article and with respect to the Rolex section, I think James Dowling, who has written books about Rolex and who is/was a Rolex forum moderator on TZ, has written better, and more original articles with a similar theme some 15-20 years ago. Mr. Dowling in addition to writing "Why its OK to Hate Rolex" http://www.timezone.com/2002/09/24/why-its-okay-to-hate-rolex-298/# , he wrote an article about the stages of becoming a watch collector, in which you start out thinking Rolex is the finest watch made, you end up buying one or a few, then you discover other brands such as Patek, AP, VC, JLC etc., and you no longer think as highly as Rolex. Then you eventually either buy a Nautilus or RO and you stop wearing the Rolex/es. However, one day you are looking for something and you find the Rolex/es sitting in a drawer where you left them, and put one on again. Then you really start appreciating it again, even if its movement isn't as finely decorated and there is not the same level of hand workmanship, its something you enjoy wearing again. Unfortunately, I can't find that article.

I can identify a bit more with the James Dowling stages of watch/Rolex ownership. When I really got interested in watches in the early 1980's I was only about 10 years old. Rolex seemed like the greatest of brands. They built durable watches that could be worn to the deepest depths underwater, watches that had been worn to climb Mount Everest, and built watches for intercontinental pilots. They were worn by pioneers in a variety of fields and sports, long before brand ambassadors were common (and today almost meaningless because most products are worn by actors, athletes, and celebrities who are paid to wear them). Eventually, I got my first Rolex as a teenager, didn't wear it except for special occasions when my parents let me, but I would open the box and stare at it and try it on over and over again. Years later my Dad bought and AP and then a PP, and I started to learn more about AP, PP, and VC. Then Rolex seemed nice but not quite as impressive. I eventually purchased watches that are considered finer, but TBH I still enjoy wearing my Rolex watches. While some brands may have finer finishes or be considered more elite, I appreciate Rolex watches for what they are - sturdy watches, held in cases that were among the earliest large scale production water resistant watches, and designs that look great even after 50+ years of production with evolutionary changes.

While I appreciate the resale value and cost of their service, its nice, but those are not the main reason I like my Rolex watches even after owning other nice watches. The other parts of the article are entertaining, but really maybe only helpful to newbies.

firenze_rob

Reaction score
I largely ignore Hodinkee. It used to be a prime destination for me, but I'm no longer interested in the writing or the topicality.

But I'll offer something to the list. Watches are a great hobby with it's blend of aesthetics, tradition, and engineering at a (somewhat) reasonable price of entry, but won't sate your existential need for belonging or fulfillment. To this point, understand what it is you enjoy about watches and don't buy into mass interwebs groupthink.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Well, they have "evolved" quite a bit over the last year or two (to put it nicely), but as a watch lover I'd personally find it difficult to entirely ignore Hodinkee.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LeJour triple register chronos have been catching my eye recently as a reasonably priced vintage options. They usually have nice proportions/hands and reliable movements. Anyone here own one?

firenze_rob

Reaction score
^^Several of the vintage LeJours chronos were made by Heuer. So they present a nice value if that's what you're looking for. I had a PVD LeJour chrono that was the same as the Heuer Pasadena.

@Keith T

Right. I agree. For me, I much rather read reviews found on TZ, especially when Basel and SIHH roll around. Also, I'm not so keen on vintage watch slant as the editors. Like I said, I do visit from time to time. Hard to believe that TZ has been around so long. Seems like only yesterday I was looking for my MK III speedy on the sales corner. Too bad that watch hasn't seen the same price appreciation as practically every other asset since then.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Yeah for sure TZ is a great resource, and I also visit WUS regularly, along with a few others.

Lots of good instagrammers out there too. Just for pics mainly, as dialogue is quite difficult in that format :)

@mimo congrats on your bronze beauty.

@TheWraith obviously it's a ceramic Daytona, right? LOL.

serious guess: Bulova moonwatch.

Last edited:

McWu

Reaction score

I largely ignore Hodinkee. It used to be a prime destination for me, but I'm no longer interested in the writing or the topicality.

But I'll offer something to the list. Watches are a great hobby with it's blend of aesthetics, tradition, and engineering at a (somewhat) reasonable price of entry, but won't sate your existential need for belonging or fulfillment. To this point, understand what it is you enjoy about watches and don't buy into mass interwebs groupthink.

This truly is the final state of watch collector nirvana. Many people think it's the "one watch forever" or acquisition of "the holy grail", but really it's about understanding what you enjoy about them and exploring that.

Well, said. :fistbump:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads