• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

McWu

Reaction score
I feel like I've run the gamut of watches, from quartz to "high-end quartz" and entry-level to independent, and I'm finding that the sweet spot for what I look for in brand strategy, unique identity, value proposition, and style is pretty consistently Nomos. I do wish for a bit more variety (I'd love a sportier watch and a chronograph), but for now, these get me every time.

Oddly enough, my wife's absolute favorite watch is her Tangente LE, though I'm sure it's for completely different reasons than mine. She's got a Rolex and gold JLC in competition, and the Nomos is worn 99.8% of the time. As further proof, she's even gone from adamant refusal to interact mechanically with her previous watches to taking the time to learn how to properly hand wind and set a mechanical Nomos.

Appeal on multiple levels like that without any of the marketing hype to chalk it up to? They've got to be doing something right.

Happy Friday, TWATers.

:cheers:

ultramantaro

Reaction score
I feel like I've run the gamut of watches, from quartz to "high-end quartz" and entry-level to independent, and I'm finding that the sweet spot for what I look for in brand strategy, unique identity, value proposition, and style is pretty consistently Nomos. I do wish for a bit more variety (I'd love a sportier watch and a chronograph), but for now, these get me every time.

Oddly enough, my wife's absolute favorite watch is her Tangente LE, though I'm sure it's for completely different reasons than mine. She's got a Rolex and gold JLC in competition, and the Nomos is worn 99.8% of the time. As further proof, she's even gone from adamant refusal to interact mechanically with her previous watches to taking the time to learn how to properly hand wind and set a mechanical Nomos.

Appeal on multiple levels like that without any of the marketing hype to chalk it up to? They've got to be doing something right.

Happy Friday, TWATers.

cheers.gif

+1 for Nomos. I pretty much wear my Tangente Datum about 90% of the time. It keeps accurate time, looks great, and is understated enough that only watch enthusiasts would know what you are wearing.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In Nomos, I always thought that the Metro was one of the better realised Bauhaus watches. The basic Bauhaus models strike me as a little too minimalist in the age of Skagen et al. in every supermarket, especially considering the relatively small dial size.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've said it before and I'll probably say it again: Nomos is a fully no-excuses watchmaker. They have better manufacturing and design chops than some of the big boys, and their thoughtful attention to detail is evident even in the smallest things they do. It's always a pleasure to deal with them.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sharing this new acquisition. Was looking for a fun, casual watch. Wanted to go vintage and wanted something with history and didn't want to spend too much. Ended up with this WW2 1940's Royal Navy lemania. Not super rare but not common either. Love the history of the case markings and how it was associated with the military/NATO. Awaiting a new NATO strap.

roomiller

Reaction score
Thanks Mimo - Perfect timing abound!

Nomos occupies a strange place in my heart. In terms of quality and design I know how well executed they are, particularly for the price, but they don't stimulate any feelings of "want" or "lust" deep down. Am I crazy?

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mimo - Perfect timing abound!

Nomos occupies a strange place in my heart. In terms of quality and design I know how well executed they are, particularly for the price, but they don't stimulate any feelings of "want" or "lust" deep down. Am I crazy?
Not crazy. There are several of us here who respect the brand, its workmanship, and think they are tremendous value...but they just don't ignite any desire in us to own one. A few years ago, I went to a dealer to check them out and see if maybe in person I would feel differently. After trying a few on, I knew even if they workmanship relative to its price is fantastic, I just didn't have a desire to own one. Still its always great to have some watch diversity and see photos of various brands here that I don't see often in the wild. Cheers!

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ agreed. Almost impossible to beat in the sub-5k range depending on your criteria. I like a few of the designs, love none, and would rather spend more to get the pieces I love personally

atia2

Reaction score
I have never been drawn to the minimalist aesthetic of Nomos. It tells no story to which I can relate. I don't like Skagen watches either. Or Ikea furniture. Somehow these things don't seem REAL, as if they are empty models of reality instead of reality itself.

roomiller

Reaction score
I have never been drawn to the minimalist aesthetic of Nomos. It tells no story to which I can relate. I don't like Skagen watches either. Or Ikea furniture. Somehow these things don't seem REAL, as if they are empty models of reality instead of reality itself.

This is only tangentially related, but I absolutely understand that sentiment. I've been in two different flats while in London. The first was this ultra-modern apartment in a new high-rise. Simple and elegant furniture. Tons of really nice, high-end touches. I lived there for 10 weeks and it never fully felt like home; it was too sterile to inspire feelings of comfort.

I moved into my new place with these beautiful antique windows, exposed brick wall, a leather couch, and some big plants in the living room - it felt comfortable before I had even unpacked.

The Nomos worldtimer is the one that I find the most appealing. They're design aesthetic translates incredibly well to a watch style that typically lends itself to cluttered, difficult-to-read dials.

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is only tangentially related, but I absolutely understand that sentiment. I've been in two different flats while in London. The first was this ultra-modern apartment in a new high-rise. Simple and elegant furniture. Tons of really nice, high-end touches. I lived there for 10 weeks and it never fully felt like home; it was too sterile to inspire feelings of comfort.

I moved into my new place with these beautiful antique windows, exposed brick wall, a leather couch, and some big plants in the living room - it felt comfortable before I had even unpacked.

The Nomos worldtimer is the one that I find the most appealing. They're design aesthetic translates incredibly well to a watch style that typically lends itself to cluttered, difficult-to-read dials.
This is interesting. It is very much a preference. Throw me into a modern high rise and I feel right at home.

Old style buildings often feel... off to me.

McWu

Reaction score
I don't at all disagree with anyone who doesn't enjoy the Nomos aesthetic. As there is variety in style of architecture, dress, or expression that any one person can appreciate, so it is with watches. The difference in opinion is embraced!

A bit more into my thought-process, it's actually not the aesthetic (at least not solely) that draws me to any particular watch. As I mentioned in my initial post, the brand identity itself (and the elements that contribute to said identity) matters far more to me than the aesthetic, probably in inappropriate proportion (and thus it's not necessarily something I'd ever recommend as a sound strategy in purchasing watches). I've tried on many beautiful watches from many different manufacturers, and objectively, the money I've spent on Nomos (and will be spending this very week) would buy me much more "acceptable" watches from Patek, Lange, or Rolex, but after owning the gamut, the ones I most enjoy owning are from Nomos.

To hammer the point home, much to the chagrin of pretty much everyone on this forum, I spend the majority of my time in shorts and a t-shirt. And yet, even paired with a pair of sneakers, you'll find me wearing a variety of Nomos watches on any given day. :ember:

And yet, I love it! And I'm happy to have found that right, sweet spot for me.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
OMG not to set us off on a big sneaker tangent, but pretty sure my son has those exact same Jordans :slayer:

Retro 3's right? He's also got a pair of "white cement 4's."

The kid's a budding sneakerhead. And one of these days he'll really be into watches. But he doesn't know it yet.

P.S. Nice Nomos....as in all things watches, it always pays off satisfaction-wise to just "do you".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads