• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I *know* it's easy to bash pricing these days, but I do feel like Patek has just gotten crazy high. Even in its peer group.

Like several others have mentioned, I'd love to "someday" be a PP owner. And I have always liked/lusted for the World Time personally-- thinking that it may be my first.

But damn, even if I sold everything in my watch box, I don't think it would quite add up to full retail for a "new" 5230. And frankly, that's another example where a previous model (5130) would probably be preferred ... by me, anyway.

The values have just gone bonkers. Much less if we were talking platinum?! Forget it!

And I also know the quality > quantity mantra is gospel on SF, for good reason-- and certainly has its adherents within this thread. But I think for now I'll keep the option of having quite a few different daily choices for my wrist, rather than marrying myself to that one (even if it is oh-so-killer) piece.

Not saying that I would never ever ever consolidate at some level, but I don't see it happening anytime soon.

For all you lucky souls that can buy / sell / flip / trade at that level, amongst Patek, VC, Lange, etc....rock on, and more power to you. Please keep posting pics! LOL.

pmeis

Reaction score
Quick shot from a wedding I attended last night. I really enjoy wearing this watch for its suited purpose.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just wrote my watch bio....except I acquired my Casablanca and my wife's Cintree Curvex, the same way. My AD apparently had an argument with Franck Muller himself and sold all remaining stock at 40% off. So I bought two. Although more than 15 years ago, before TWAT II, I was a naive collector, but had no aspirations of trading the watches in for something else, so I never tested the secondary market.

Exploding numerals is the style of font he used for his numbers where they basically vary in size and look like they are coming out toward the edges of the case.  He may be the first person to reorder the numbers, at best its cute,...but hardly impressive.  You ask why FM isn't more a more highly rated watch by enthusiasts and its the product he produced. There were many companies that were doing so much more and offered higher levels of reliability and workmanship.

The high prices MSRPS of his watches and the ordinary movements used in many of them, made his watches difficult to sell to educated collectors, but may have been a reasonable purchase in the used market after they depreciated significantly.  I'm sure plenty of newbies bought them and took a bath on them if they tried to trade or resell them.  The 3 dealers near me that carried the brand, found it was a very tough sell, and eventually ditched the brand and liquidated the remaining pieces in their stock at huge discounts.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You just wrote my watch bio....except I acquired my Casablanca and my wife's Cintree Curvex, the same way. My AD apparently had an argument with Franck Muller himself and sold all remaining stock at 40% off. So I bought two. Although more than 15 years ago, before TWAT II, I was a naive collector, but had no aspirations of trading the watches in for something else, so I never tested the secondary market.
Funny that I summarized your watch situation. Well, if you bought them at 40% off, I wouldn't worry too much about their value. Just wear them and enjoy them. Cheers!

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing you can't accuse Richard Mille of is being bad at talent spotting.

* eschews trendy coach (middle) * wears watch * obliterates world record out of nowhere * thanks God and RM *

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More impressive to me than Bolt's 100. I'm no track expert, but I know enough to know the outside lane is supposed to get eaten up around the turn.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't believe no one mentioned the nautilus 5712. No love?
I really like the 5712 at lot, but for me it would have to be on a bracelet. IMHO, the there is something missing when a RO or Nautilus is not on a bracelet. Still, yours is a really beautiful piece. Enjoy it.
cheers.gif

tigerpac

Reaction score
5712 dial doesn't do it for me. Sometimes a lack of symmetry can work but not a fan here vs the 5711.

SteveH35

Reaction score
Love the 5712. I just sold a very rare GR (white and rose gold) with Tiffany dial. Have to agree though, my favorite would be the 1a on bracelet

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also too OCD to get my head around the bits of batons on the 5712.

5726 on a bracelet is the best Nautilus for me -- symmetry uber alles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads