• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What do we think of the design of this Fabergé? Know the company is going big into the timepiece world.

jamesryan123

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking at a JLC Master Ultra Thin with the ref 174.8.90.S on the caseback and I am unable to tell if it is a master ultra thin or a master grande ultra thin.

I asked for measures and was told 40.5mm with the crown and 38.5mm without but I am not 100% certain,

Could anyone with any better knowledge than me clarify this for me? Thanks!

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Definitely dressy. I buy only new things but in this case I am not sure. I am / was not into watches so I do not know what to pick :) and based on...what criteria.

I like Nomos...no contest here. But the price is too steep. Somebody recommended stowa earlier but I did not like any of the watch that much to convince myself buying it.

Like many here I would be biased towards a mechanical watch. Generally I'd be looking at Tissot for a dress watch under a few hundred Euros. I got one for my son and it really feels like a "proper" watch, from a maker with a strong history. If you shop around for offers you might get a nice deal on Raymond Weil in that range - though some friends have had reliability problems - or I'd look also for grey market/clearance on Longines, you'll definitely find sub $1000 and maybe better.

But as you liked the Nomos so much I'll point you in another direction: look at Junghans' "Max Bill" range. The mechanical models are well within budget and have a similar Bauhaus design ethos. If you could stretch to 1000 Euros, then the Stowa Antea is quality, and that's with VAT, so if you're outside the EU it's under 850.

Novelty77

Reaction score
Hey guys! Its been awhilw since i last post. Just wana share my latest horror story! But all is not lost, an awesome job by my buddy polishing off like it nv happened.! The left side is after polishing.

My latest acquisition. Finally know why is called the perfect dress watch. The shape of the case allows full view of the watch under a shirt. Unlike the circular dress watches out there where we always tuck our shirt a little to see the whole watch.

Last edited:

IGotId

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to NYC this weekend. In addition to the Crockett & Jones store & the various boutiques I'll be visiting the Tourneau stores & Wempe. Am I forgetting anyplace?

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm planning a trip to NYC this weekend. In addition to the Crockett & Jones store & the various boutiques I'll be visiting the Tourneau stores & Wempe. Am I forgetting anyplace?

There's a grey market store whose name I'm forgetting. Has some solid mid-tier brands at low to very low prices. It's on 57th between 5th and 6th on the south side of the street. And if you're looking higher end, nothing beats the service at Cellini.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are also lots of boutiques in NYC such as AP, Breguet, Journe, VC, Rolex, Omega, etc.

jamesryan123

Reaction score
Sorted out the JLC size issue. Turns out the ref on the back bears no resemblence to the product code for each of their watches, it is actually a movement casing/metal/movement size coding so could see the same ref on different models. Bought it and might even be tempted to post a pic or two.

Winot

Reaction score

Sorted out the JLC size issue. Turns out the ref on the back bears no resemblence to the product code for each of their watches, it is actually a movement casing/metal/movement size coding so could see the same ref on different models. Bought it and might even be tempted to post a pic or two. 

Please do!

I came close to buying the Master Ultra Thin 1907 - a lovely watch (went for a pre-owned Lange Saxonia Thin in the end).

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please do!

I came close to buying the Master Ultra Thin 1907 - a lovely watch (went for a pre-owned Lange Saxonia Thin in the end).

I really like the look of the 1907 in rose gold. I'd have to see it on the wrist for size though. 37mm would probably be a better size, but a great looking watch either way.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of JLC, I think I'm back onto considering buying the MUT Moon I've been looking at for some time.

I was wondering though, does anyone have experience with negotiating FURTHER discounts at a Heathrow Duty-Free Watches of Switzerland?

I imagine you'd stand no chance with asking for a discount on a Rolex there. But JLC isn't exactly the most popular make these days...

Last edited:

jamesryan123

Reaction score
MUT Moon should get a discount, but if it is in the duty free already they may be less willing. The Ultra Thin 38.5mm I have just bought was 1 year old but WoS gave the buyer a £400 discount last June off the £5,600. I just picked it up from a pawnbrokers for just over half the list. Would have been rude not to. Sure a near 10% may be possible.

The 1907's are lovely. The white gold is a gorgeous watch. Bit out of my price range at the moment given I am in my 20's. Must work harder!

Dillardiv

Reaction score
]
There's a grey market store whose name I'm forgetting. Has some solid mid-tier brands at low to very low prices. It's on 57th between 5th and 6th on the south side of the street. And if you're looking higher end, nothing beats the service at Cellini.

Kenjo? Looked it up online. Is it legit?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads