• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a fun piece. Very simple with a sort of restrained whimsy. Small at 35.5mm x 8.8mm. The first editions are nearly all sold out online and at boutiques (though I suppose the right concierge could put in the footwork for one so inclined). Supposedly, only 3001 examples (it's named caliber DUW 3001) with the new movement were made as part of the "first editions." That's something I may have liked for the collectability as much as the smile I get looking at the playful face of it.
If you really wanted one, you could get one. I've seen boutiques "Magically" pull in watches that were far more limited in terms of production numbers and which were supposedly sold out.

haTTer

Reaction score

PVD today

Winot

Reaction score
Back to Nomos. This was my entry into mechanical watches too, via the Tetra. Have still got it but will sell shortly - it's a nice watch but feels too small now.

I also have a Tangomat GMT. Not this one with the 3 letter location code, but the earlier discontinued model with the number of hours +/- GMT:

It's a nice size and I love the Bauhaus-inspired design. Would prefer the Lange Saxonia Dualtime, but that's 7 times the price...

I've just had a look back at the Nomos website following the posts upthread, and I am mesmerised by the beautiful Lambda:

However, it's a cool GBP 10K - seems incredibly expensive for a 2nd tier brand. Had anyone seen it in the flesh?

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Back to Nomos. ...the beautiful Lambda: anyone seen it in the flesh?

I haven't, but it does seem to be around for $10k from various dealers in Germany. So it's maybe not that crazy. And an innovative in-house movement in a gold case that looks like that, maybe isn't that "second tier".

It is a quandary I understand, though: when all their other watches are relatively accessible, in the sort of Tag or Rado region, it's a bit of a conceptual leap to add that fifth digit, even for a brand new gold watch. Plenty of good arguments why it's worth it, but would I do it? Maybe not (even if I did wear gold, and even if I had the tokens).

This does lead me to one other thought that I've often had, and might even become a standard TWAT advice meme, like "wait to buy the one you really want" or "don't buy as an investment" or "good luck with whatever you decide. It's this: if it seems a bit expensive, wait two years. The logic? If it seems too much for you, it will for others. Demand will be limited, and there won't be blood spilt fighting over the used market. In a couple of years, new discounts will be deeper and used prices will be reasonable. Maybe then you'll look at it for, say, $6k mint used, or $7-8 new, and see it as a real bargain. The only thing that could maybe make a difference is that this is the first of a kind. But I'm not sure there are yet many people frantically picking up a new Nomos to keep in the safe for investment purposes.

Yeah, look again in 2018.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back to Nomos. This was my entry into mechanical watches too, via the Tetra. Have still got it but will sell shortly - it's a nice watch but feels too small now.
I also have a Tangomat GMT. Not this one with the 3 letter location code, but the earlier discontinued model with the number of hours +/- GMT:

It's a nice size and I love the Bauhaus-inspired design. Would prefer the Lange Saxonia Dualtime, but that's 7 times the price...

I've just had a look back at the Nomos website following the posts upthread, and I am mesmerised by the beautiful Lambda:

However, it's a cool GBP 10K - seems incredibly expensive for a 2nd tier brand. Had anyone seen it in the flesh?

I don't think there's anything second-tier about Nomos. About the only thing that isn't world-class about the company is their level of mainstream name recognition.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
... does seem to be around for $10k from various dealers in Germany. So it's maybe not that crazy. And an innovative in-house movement in a gold case that looks like that... it's a bit of a conceptual leap to add that fifth digit, even for a brand new gold watch.
Sadly $10K is a substantial amount, but it doesn't buy as much watch as is used to. 10-12 years ago $10K or less would put a nicely discounted brand new Calatrava on your wrist, fresh from an AD. It would put a new from AD a discounted steel Sub Date and Pepsi GMT on your wrist and you'd still have more than $2K left over. Whether or not a $10K Nomos is worth it is something everyone has to decide for himself. One certainly isn't going to get a brand new so called "First tier watch" in that price range. Perhaps the issue becomes for the same money, what else is worth it or puts a bigger smile on one's face. Or is the $10K a substantial chunk of another watch that a buyer would rather own, and he merely needs to save a bit longer to acquire. Nomos has a lot going for it, but I always like them more on paper than in person. At $10K, I'd be looking elsewhere or use the $10K toward something else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads