• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tigerpac

Reaction score
Thanks for all the JlC Reverso posts. Love them, very stylish and still classical. I was just looking at a few prior to visiting SF, so your timing is perfect.

One question to those who wear them; is there anything that annoys you with them - style or function, or whatever?

IGotId

Reaction score
Thanks for all the JlC Reverso posts. Love them, very stylish and still classical. I was just looking at a few prior to visiting SF, so your timing is perfect.

One question to those who wear them; is there anything that annoys you with them - style or function, or whatever?

I'm annoyed that I only have one...lol

Seriously, not really! I typically only wear it to work & some social gatherings so I don't think I have any significant scratching. That being said, I haven't looked too closely for scratched either.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I debated getting this duoface vs. a TT1931... a pic of the 'other side' for 'Reverso Thursday':

The thing I like about the Reverso is that you can flip it over and you've got that steel side that "protects" the watch. I've said it before, but I think the watch could used as a military watch or an "explorer's" watch, or at least it could have been historically. That said I think the idea of a duoface is great and that JLC could do even more with that.

I like the silver face better than the black, especially for your Reverso. You made a great choice and I love the blue face. I like all the colors though and even the "standard" 1931 Reverso is a great looking watch.

Not sure why it didn't quote him correctly, but as @tigerpac noted it seems like it could be a real scratch magnet. I've had many scratches on mine and they're difficult to unless you're really angling the watch in the light to find them, but they can happen. Ditto for fingerprints. Also, if I really wanted to get picky I could say how it sits on the wrist as the watch isn't rounded on the bottom (something they're doing with some of the newer Reversos), but that would be nitpicking as it lays just fine. Quite frankly I wouldn't want the watch rounded in that manner anyway. And the watch is so thin that it's not remotely an issue with a cuff.

I got mine because I liked the vintage/tribute styling of the watch and I felt it worked well with my wardrobe. That said it has a real polish/finish to it that means I could dress it up more than I likely have need to.
I'm annoyed that I only have one...lol

Haha. Me too. Quite a few that I like. Despite having the Thin Tribute to 1931, were money no object I'd also have the similar "standard" Tribute to 1931. They've been doing a great job with the Reverso of late and a lot of nice options out there.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of engraving the case-back on a JLC Reverso, this was in a recent article on Hodinkee:

A watch made for a king who was never crowned...

OzWino

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I appreciate your learned opinions. To be honest i know nothing about the Reverso movement. How is the accuracy of the timekeeping - I'm a bit OCD with those sort of things.

Novelty77

Reaction score

Hello 5712G!

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of engraving the case-back on a JLC Reverso, this was in a recent article on Hodinkee:

A watch made for a king who was never crowned...

Read that one. Interesting little piece. I've actually heard that the Reverso was favored by some European royalty back in the day. That watch, along with MacArthur's, are in JLC's possession which is great. Nice to see them such historic pieces thus preserving their heritage and making it possible to share them with the rest of the World. Of course it also allows them to promote the brand, but still cool they have them.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate your learned opinions. To be honest i know nothing about the Reverso movement. How is the accuracy of the timekeeping - I'm a bit OCD with those sort of things.

I haven't measured it's accuracy and likely won't any time soon, but from what I can tell mine is very accurate.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All new JLCs go through 1000 hours of testing before being let loose on the world. They are calibrated more stringently than COSC (-1+6 vs -4+6) - which apparently they made a conscious decision not to subscribe to.

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have found the JLC croc wristband not quite as high quality as one by another maker though that is thicker but it has lasted well.

Style and function wise nothing annoys me and its time keeping is enough for me although I have never actually measured how accurate it is.

OzWino

Reaction score
Much obliged all. I still have much to learn, but this thread has been a great help, as well as a constant source of inspiration and envy.

johnnilcru

Reaction score
Those are some mouth-watering watches in here. Mine has a pretty worn out strap and, for the first time, I am seriously considering replacing it with a leather one. I found a pretty nice one at Lucrin, https://www.lucrin.com/watch-strap-men.htm , however, I know not how reliable they are. They have pretty nice reviews for their Apple watch band, but nothing on their classic watch straps. Other brands I'm considering are Hirsch, Shinola and Daniel Wellington.

Has anyone else had to replace their watchbands here? What other good brands are there out there?

Last edited:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have used Jean Rousseau but there are plenty of watch band makers out there. If you are after something chunkier Sabel Saddlery do bespoke ones.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads