• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch is from the Rare Handcrafts line, which is a super small batch release (thank you to @Newcomer for schooling me on this recently). In particular, this model is from the Marquetry line, which means this watch is made from extremely intricate cuts of wood layered together to create an image.

Every year they have specific images on the dial, and they are never for everyone. They are for individuals who value a different type of aesthetics and craftsmanship in a watch that can't be achieved with a traditional style dial.

And hey bud, as always, you can either take or leave!

Marquetry_1.jpg

Marquetry_8.jpg

Marquetry_9.jpg

Tastes are notoriously individual. Would you spend $$$$$ on that watch?

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a lot that Patek should not be commended for but the RHC line is one place where I think that Patek should be commended. I think the Surfer is cool and I respect the craft, but that one does not really do anything for me. However, to me the right RHC is something that is very cool. In particular, I am incredibly drawn to the 5089G-059, which shows roped alpinists. Some of the designs are kitschy, no doubt, but the people who make these dials are at the top of their craft. I personally really like marquetry and enamel.

clipboard15-horz-1024x635.jpg

I did learn, however, that the price is about double what I was told the price is, so that curtails my personal desire 🤣.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course this watch is somehow reminiscent of a famous Salvador Dali’s painting.
View attachment 2169085
If you like it why not. Some others here too I think.
I would say that it’s a watch for a watch collector who already has a lot of watches, and is a bit jaded. So especially looking for originality and rarity.
I understand you had a real crush on that watch and it’s great to keep a sense of wonder, now its beauty is highly subjective. De gustibus…

Interesting, your point about being a bit jaded. I probably fit that very description.

I was in the car listening to the same podcast the other day. I don't always agree their take on watches, but I have to agree with his assessment of Patek. It seems like years ago their $50K watches were truly impressive, and even many of their more reasonably priced watches, or reasonably priced for Patek I should say, seemed special. Perhaps, the many years of seeing various brands and the paths they have taken, has left me feeling less impressed by where Patek has gone. However, maybe with the success they have experienced in recent years they see no reason to go out of their way to really wow us unless it's a piece so dear that you will have to sell vital organs on the black market to afford, along with a promise during the application process to name your 1st born Thierry.

I did hear Ben discuss the Mirage. When they described it, I was like "I think that's the watch Newcomer ordered." When I got to the office, I looked it up and sure enough that was the watch. Wishing you lots of luck and fun with the Mirage when it arrives, and I hope the ownership experience will far exceed your expectations!

Thanks, Dino! I think I will really enjoy it. Apparently it will be arriving just in time for Christmas (but hopefully not too much before my December distribution).

Personally, I find Patek's recent transition to be very interesting. If you look at the watches produced over the last, say, 7-9 years (i.e., when Thierry took the reins), it really feels like a different company.

I, too, agree with the assessment that Patek does not make many watches in the $50,000 range that are not "hot" that are very appealing and feel like you are getting bang for your buck. The movements (with the exception of the new 30-255) are reliable yet somewhat pedestrian, price increases hit year-after-year, a lot of the dials and cases are stamped, etc. And, on the other side, there are a bunch of brands offering more impressive finishing and hand work where you can avoid dealing with an AD.

The only major benefit with Patek, and this is something that carries a TON of water with me, is that Patek's servicing and servicing guarantee provides a buyer with a lot of comfort. With that said, the new WR policy does make me question Patek's willingness to adhere to the servicing policy.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a lot that Patek should not be commended for but the RHC line is one place where I think that Patek should be commended. I think the Surfer is cool and I respect the craft, but that one does not really do anything for me. However, to me the right RHC is something that is very cool. In particular, I am incredibly drawn to the 5089G-059, which shows roped alpinists. Some of the designs are kitschy, no doubt, but the people who make these dials are at the top of their craft. I personally really like marquetry and enamel.

clipboard15-horz-1024x635.jpg

I did learn, however, that the price is about double what I was told the price is, so that curtails my personal desire 🤣.
Got dang that's amazing

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This watch is from the Rare Handcrafts line, which is a super small batch release (thank you to @Newcomer for schooling me on this recently). In particular, this model is from the Marquetry line, which means this watch is made from extremely intricate cuts of wood layered together to create an image.

Every year they have specific images on the dial, and they are never for everyone. They are for individuals who value a different type of aesthetics and craftsmanship in a watch that can't be achieved with a traditional style dial.

And hey bud, as always, you can either take or leave!
No watch can be everything to everyone and I had read about that collection. After seeing a few photos, I'm solidly in the camp of...

th

acconrad

Reaction score
They can't swim.

Ironically I don't think I saw a single Patek in either of those music videos except for (maybe fake) diamond-covered Nautilus (something like this, 5719/10G?, $500-750k??) but that seems so insanely expensive even Quavo would probably have a hard time stomaching that purchase or its on loan for the music video (or just fake)

Last edited:

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Realized a bit ago that the "middle ground" watches in my collection never get worn. So wiping them all out and going lower end + super high end like the Voutilainen, hopefully a Logical1 at some point, and the Armin Strom Resonance...

Then on the lower end as a tool watch I picked up this Sinn. I have always loved the U1, but it is way too ******* big. Then saw the u50 and...
Sinn.jpg

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always been looking for the right erotic watch, but I have never been able to liken myself to the muscled, Grecian demi-gods that typically grace such dials. Well, finally, I have found one that speaks to me:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Realized a bit ago that the "middle ground" watches in my collection never get worn. So wiping them all out and going lower end + super high end like the Voutilainen, hopefully a Logical1 at some point, and the Armin Strom Resonance...

It is funny you say that. I have had a similar experience. "Middle ground" watches never get worn.

Fred G. Unn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tried this on today. I was actually hoping to try the steel GMT One if they had it, but they only had the titanium and gold. I was hoping to like it, but left fairly unimpressed as the GMT bezel did not work very smoothly on this one at all.

gmtone.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads