• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A Berneron Mirage update, through the lens of Watches & Wonders:

This obviously comes from a place of extreme bias, but the Berneron Mirage was, to me, the new watch of Watches & Wonders. The renders were nice and all that but the perceived quality of the final watch has greatly exceeded my already high expectations. I understand that mine will be here by the end of the year and I could not be more excited.

IMG_2579 (1).jpg

IMG_2580 (1).jpg

Further, today, Sylvain posted the following update on the company:

IMG_2591.PNG

IMG_2592.jpg

I knew that a second watch was in the works, but the fact that it is arriving in the middle of 2025 is, to me, a complete surprise. For a nascent brand, that is pretty darn impressive. I am very curious to see the second watch because, in my opinion, the second watch is sometimes more difficult. The second watch will always be compared with the first, and with a second watch you begin to create a brand.

Finally, I was catching up on the Hodinkee podcast and Ben Clymer said something pretty darn surprising: to paraphrase, he said that he hoped that Patek would release something for $50,000, give or take, that was beautiful, because he cannot in recent memory think of anything that Patek released for that amount that was beautiful. Ben said something to the effect that a $50,000 watch from Patek does not feel like a $50,000 watch, and the watches from Patek that do feel worthwhile are way up the food chain or are application pieces etc. Obviously, Patek did not do that this year. And I question whether, going forward, Patek will do that anytime soon. And, on a separate podcast, picking up on Ben's thread, one of the persons mused that Patek's failure to produce such a product will cause younger collectors to choose something other than Patek, because there is not that value. To complete the circle here, I think that the Berneron Mirage is that beautiful watch, and at least as to this collector, I did choose to take my money elsewhere. Just some musings.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Of course this watch is somehow reminiscent of a famous Salvador Dali’s painting.
IMG_7757.jpeg

If you like it why not. Some others here too I think.
I would say that it’s a watch for a watch collector who already has a lot of watches, and is a bit jaded. So especially looking for originality and rarity.
I understand you had a real crush on that watch and it’s great to keep a sense of wonder, now its beauty is highly subjective. De gustibus…

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Berneron Mirage update, through the lens of Watches & Wonders:

This obviously comes from a place of extreme bias, but the Berneron Mirage was, to me, the new watch of Watches & Wonders. The renders were nice and all that but the perceived quality of the final watch has greatly exceeded my already high expectations. I understand that mine will be here by the end of the year and I could not be more excited.

View attachment 2169021
View attachment 2169019

Further, today, Sylvain posted the following update on the company:

View attachment 2169017
View attachment 2169015

I knew that a second watch was in the works, but the fact that it is arriving in the middle of 2025 is, to me, a complete surprise. For a nascent brand, that is pretty darn impressive. I am very curious to see the second watch because, in my opinion, the second watch is sometimes more difficult. The second watch will always be compared with the first, and with a second watch you begin to create a brand.

Finally, I was catching up on the Hodinkee podcast and Ben Clymer said something pretty darn surprising: to paraphrase, he said that he hoped that Patek would release something for $50,000, give or take, that was beautiful, because he cannot in recent memory think of anything that Patek released for that amount that was beautiful. Ben said something to the effect that a $50,000 watch from Patek does not feel like a $50,000 watch, and the watches from Patek that do feel worthwhile are way up the food chain or are application pieces etc. Obviously, Patek did not do that this year. And I question whether, going forward, Patek will do that anytime soon. And, on a separate podcast, picking up on Ben's thread, one of the persons mused that Patek's failure to produce such a product will cause younger collectors to choose something other than Patek, because there is not that value. To complete the circle here, I think that the Berneron Mirage is that beautiful watch, and at least as to this collector, I did choose to take my money elsewhere. Just some musings.
I was in the car listening to the same podcast the other day. I don't always agree their take on watches, but I have to agree with his assessment of Patek. It seems like years ago their $50K watches were truly impressive, and even many of their more reasonably priced watches, or reasonably priced for Patek I should say, seemed special. Perhaps, the many years of seeing various brands and the paths they have taken, has left me feeling less impressed by where Patek has gone. However, maybe with the success they have experienced in recent years they see no reason to go out of their way to really wow us unless it's a piece so dear that you will have to sell vital organs on the black market to afford, along with a promise during the application process to name your 1st born Thierry.

I did hear Ben discuss the Mirage. When they described it, I was like "I think that's the watch Newcomer ordered." When I got to the office, I looked it up and sure enough that was the watch. Wishing you lots of luck and fun with the Mirage when it arrives, and I hope the ownership experience will far exceed your expectations!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This watch is from the Rare Handcrafts line, which is a super small batch release (thank you to @Newcomer for schooling me on this recently). In particular, this model is from the Marquetry line, which means this watch is made from extremely intricate cuts of wood layered together to create an image.

Every year they have specific images on the dial, and they are never for everyone. They are for individuals who value a different type of aesthetics and craftsmanship in a watch that can't be achieved with a traditional style dial.

And hey bud, as always, you can either take or leave!

Marquetry_1.jpg

Marquetry_8.jpg

Marquetry_9.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads