• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People were also smaller, times change. Things get bigger and smaller, it is what it is. Doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
People were also smaller, times change. Things get bigger and smaller, it is what it is. Doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Ha! You must be new around here, you may want to abandon thread now.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

*sigh

Phones were smaller in the 2000s they’re now larger, cars also were smaller and now people want large SUVs. It’s called trends and what’s popular at the given time.

I don’t see how it’s such an issue that I want to pass on my watch to a girl. That’s a bit of an outdated thought in my eyes.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Guys one more question for you knowledgeable vintage buyers: I’ve only previously purchased pre owned watches with full sets. I’m currently looking at a Rolex watch that comes with “service” papers (card). Can I expect that this, at the least, means that Rolex has serviced the watch and thus validated its authenticity?
Like Ebitdaddy said, if they can fake the watch then they can easily fake the papers. When it comes to used watches like Rolex, you should be buying the seller more than the watch. If I was looking to buy one, my first stop would be Bob’s Watches as he is a known commodity in the Rolex world. Personally, I’d prefer a modern Rolex for the water resistance and robustness, recently a guy that I’ve bought from showed me a Blaken Sub and a all black PVD Daytona, which I thought were pretty sweet.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
*sigh

Phones were smaller in the 2000s they’re now larger, cars also were smaller and now people want large SUVs. It’s called trends and what’s popular at the given time.

I don’t see how it’s such an issue that I want to pass on my watch to a girl. That’s a bit of an outdated thought in my eyes.
It’s not an issue ! As you said we all have our opinions and personal preferences.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
*sigh

Oh, I don’t disagree with you, I’m a live and let live type of guy. My smallest watches clock in at 40mm but as is with most enthusiasts communities, there are some diehards that don’t agree with the present trends. Think baseball purists, stick shift drivers, only farmers wearing brown after 5 and only sanitation workers wearing Fresco etc.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I don’t disagree with you, I’m a live and let live type of guy. My smallest watches clock in at 40mm but as is with most enthusiasts communities, there are some diehards that don’t agree with the present trends. Think baseball purists, stick shift drivers, only farmers wearing brown after 5 and only sanitation workers wearing Fresco etc.

I see! I do think cars should be manual only, but I understand the convenience of an auto. I like the mechanical aspect of being in control, personally. Like with smaller watches, I do understand both sides of the coin. My dress watch is 35mm so a nice smaller size, but for me anything smaller than that, irks with my preferences/proportions.

symphvaria

Reaction score
People were smaller, yes, but you might be overestimating just how much smaller people actually were a century ago
"A century ago, American men ranked as the third tallest in the world, standing at 171 centimeters (5 feet 7 inches). Now, they place as the 37th, with an average of 177 centimeters (5 feet 10 inches)."

So yes, people were smaller back then, but they weren't Napoleon sized midgets either. Certainly not to the degree that the old average of 34-36mm has been totally replaced by a huge leap to 39-41mm. I think it's a lot more accurate to prescribe this trend as a public preference for larger, flashier jewelry in the last half a century or so, rather than one with some sort of physical reasoning.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
People were smaller, yes, but you might be overestimating just how much smaller people actually were a century ago
"A century ago, American men ranked as the third tallest in the world, standing at 171 centimeters (5 feet 7 inches). Now, they place as the 37th, with an average of 177 centimeters (5 feet 10 inches)."

So yes, people were smaller back then, but they weren't Napoleon sized midgets either. Certainly not to the degree that the old average of 34-36mm has been totally replaced by a huge leap to 39-41mm. I think it's a lot more accurate to prescribe this trend as a public preference for larger, flashier jewelry in the last half a century or so, rather than one with some sort of physical reasoning.
Napoleon was a midget but a great man*
Our actual president is just a midget**

* & ** Of course on that like on watch size opinions may differ.

Men are tall in my family, but always had watches between 33-36mm (with the exception of « fun » watches, and my brother had a Navitimer) so I also think it has nothing to do with physical reasons.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**As he caught up on TWAT for the day while neglecting work, he leaned back in his office chair and felt an overwhelming sense of relief that he had deleted that TWAT post all those years ago when his first daughter was born while he was wearing a 44mm Seiko. "What would have brought the most ridicule," he wondered - the fact that he dared to pass down a 44 mm watch to his daughter or his foolish arrogance in thinking that any Seiko would last long enough to actually be passed down to the next generation?

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
🤷🏻‍♂️ well actually women wearing huge men’s watches is fashionable indeed.
It’s been fashionable for longer than we care to think, at the turn of this century we started spending much of our summers in Italy and even then I noticed more Panerai watches on women than on men.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really a girl’s watch TBH…
Now yes family/heirloom watches are special.
My kids are pretty lucky as both their parents like watches… They already got a Rolex each (+ a Cartier for my daughter who is the elder), and later will have our watches collections.

the real question is why should a woman care what you think ?

acconrad

Reaction score
Motion to add, in addition to PGLB, BWGSWB -> big watch good, small watch bad

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads