• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will be there on Saturday, wearing my Frodsham, and will be interested to see how it goes.
My bid is in… probably should of went 750… what is done is done.
CA2DC896-D7D8-40D7-8CBD-9EA0BAA7DB5A.jpeg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Omega confirming white dial Speedmaster on their IG. They just posted "Now in White", "05.03.204", "#moonwatch".
White dial speedy has bad legibility IMO. Maybe they'll do something like the white dial explorer II with the high contrast black hands. That would make it a win in my book.

A Moonwatch with a black dial and white subs would be perfect but that's the Speedy Tuesday so we probably won't see that again as a standard release.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
White dial speedy has bad legibility IMO. Maybe they'll do something like the white dial explorer II with the high contrast black hands. That would make it a win in my book.

A Moonwatch with a black dial and white subs would be perfect but that's the Speedy Tuesday so we probably won't see that again as a standard release.
seems pretty high contrast from the photos taken of it on daniel craig's wrist in december
proxy copy.jpeg

pmeis

Reaction score
After thinking about it a few times, I finally bought one of the Delugs CTS rubber straps for what is, naturally, my least sporty watch. The thing that was holding me back from trying one of these sooner was my general discomfort with with most deployant clasps I've had on for any real length of time, but the one used here seems to have had the edges softened in the right places. Wore it this way most of the weekend without any signs of discomfort. Also, I've really become quite addicted to olive green straps with my more neutral-toned watches.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pBtUoC]

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After thinking about it a few times, I finally bought one of the Delugs CTS rubber straps for what is, naturally, my least sporty watch. The thing that was holding me back from trying one of these sooner was my general discomfort with with most deployant clasps I've had on for any real length of time, but the one used here seems to have had the edges softened in the right places. Wore it this way most of the weekend without any signs of discomfort. Also, I've really become quite addicted to olive green straps with my more neutral-toned watches.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pBtUoC]

That looks ******* awesome.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't get the appeal of Roger. Some really overt/lazy mistakes under the guise of being handmade. He uses a CNC now too.

Handmade1 from Greubel Forsey is completely handmade and done so to a very very high quality standard.
I think my opinion of Roger Smith is known, I think he is somewhat lacking considering his mentor… but that is for another day.
Funny you should mention Handmade 1, I know of one for sale. Actually, has been on the market for a couple of months, may have made it to C24. 43mm is a deal breaker.

Checked, Watchbox have listed it on C24.

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
I still don't get the appeal of Roger. Some really overt/lazy mistakes under the guise of being handmade. He uses a CNC now too.

Handmade1 from Greubel Forsey is completely handmade and done so to a very very high quality standard.
IMG_6975.JPG

The G-F Hand Made is such a batshit crazy watch that if I could afford it - I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I was interviewing their CEO in Dubai last year and he reckoned that they could now make 3 or 4 of them a year - the initial estimate was one per annum.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a bit of a liquidity event. Seriously thinking about a Gauthier Logical 1 or perp cal from Mb&f. Any other ideas for openworked god tier stuff?

Personally, I think the MB&F Perpetual or Sequential is the way to go. This is my choice:

20230328_MBandF_040_2200px.jpg

I'd love to own something from the mind of Stephen McDonnell.

I think my opinion of Roger Smith is known, I think he is somewhat lacking considering his mentor… but that is for another day.
Funny you should mention Handmade 1, I know of one for sale. Actually, has been on the market for a couple of months, may have made it to C24. 43mm is a deal breaker.

Checked, Watchbox have listed it on C24.

Roger Smith at the prices he used to charge - alright, I get it. Roger Smith at the prices he is now charging? Come on! Absolutely ridiculous. Particularly given the role of CNC machines in the process.

This is probably a rude take: I think the entire premise of building a watch from soup-to-nuts is silly. Roger Smith is very capable of making a complete watch. But I do not understand the draw of one person making the entire watch. To borrow an example from my line of work: some lawyers are strong writers; others are technicians at breaking down an expert witness; others are strong oral advocates. Some work demands an experienced attorney; some work is busy work that an associate can make quick work of. Some experienced partners are unbelievable in court yet incapable of drafting a brief. Conversely, I know associates who can do quick research that I would not put in front of a client, let alone a jury. Personally, I want the best, most optimized person on each particular job.

I get the draw of original Philippe Dufour - but he was something close to a finishing artist. Roger Smith, from a number of watches that I have seen, is nothing close to Dufour. A lot of it, to me, is the novelty associated with the story. That novelty is lost on me when the starting price is nearly half a million.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to like so many of these independent makers, but I can’t shake how ridiculous these _look_.

Not a popular opinion, I’m sure, but nearly every independent that gets posted here just looks extremely puerile in terms of the design aesthetic (I know the engineering, materials and finishing are all exceptional, but they all look a bit like arcade toys, no?).

I’m not advocating lights-off-missionary-only watches, but I also think these pooped-on-my-chest-while-being-choked-by-a-little-person-wearing-a-bearsuit watches might be missing the mark?

Edit: excluding pmeis’ Armin Strom. That **** looks killer!

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really want to like so many of these independent makers, but I can’t shake how ridiculous these _look_.

Not a popular opinion, I’m sure, but nearly every independent that gets posted here just looks extremely puerile in terms of the design aesthetic (I know the engineering, materials and finishing are all exceptional, but they all look a bit like arcade toys, no?).

I’m not advocating lights-off-missionary-only watches, but I also think these pooped-on-my-chest-while-being-choked-by-a-little-person-wearing-a-bearsuit watches might be missing the mark?

Can you post some examples you do like, and some examples you do not like?

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think the MB&F Perpetual or Sequential is the way to go. This is my choice:

20230328_MBandF_040_2200px.jpg

I'd love to own something from the mind of Stephen McDonnell.

Roger Smith at the prices he used to charge - alright, I get it. Roger Smith at the prices he is now charging? Come on! Absolutely ridiculous. Particularly given the role of CNC machines in the process.

This is probably a rude take: I think the entire premise of building a watch from soup-to-nuts is silly. Roger Smith is very capable of making a complete watch. But I do not understand the draw of one person making the entire watch. To borrow an example from my line of work: some lawyers are strong writers; others are technicians at breaking down an expert witness; others are strong oral advocates. Some work demands an experienced attorney; some work is busy work that an associate can make quick work of. Some experienced partners are unbelievable in court yet incapable of drafting a brief. Conversely, I know associates who can do quick research that I would not put in front of a client, let alone a jury. Personally, I want the best, most optimized person on each particular job.

I get the draw of original Philippe Dufour - but he was something close to a finishing artist. Roger Smith, from a number of watches that I have seen, is nothing close to Dufour. A lot of it, to me, is the novelty associated with the story. That novelty is lost on me when the starting price is nearly half a million.

Agreed 100%. Personally have 0 issues with things not being in-house etc.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads