• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is no right answer. I also want a DD knowing full well it’s D-Bag territory…

The Rolex DD is really "The DB watch!" It's a watch that people have purchased for decades to show "They have arrived!" Don't get me wrong, I think their are versions that can be tasteful and it's certainly a classic. I can see people wanting it simply because they like the design and the bracelet. However, it's certainly immortalized as a DB watch by Alec Baldwin in the film, Glenn Garry Glenn Ross. I'm sure many of you know the scene.

The other DB watch is a tutone Bluesy. I see it and I think 1980's to late 90's up and coming used car sales man or used car sales manager. Doesn't know much about watches, but knows about Rolex and wants a watch that is recognizable as a Rolex and has some gold...and is constantly wearing his sleeves rolled up to flaunt his watch. Basically a living caricature of a used car salesman or used car sales manager.

I think watches can evolve and become DB watches...perhaps the Nautilus and RO have become that through social media. However, I still don't see them as real DB watches as the average person isn't going to recognize them or know what they are, but there's a strong likelihood some non-watch people will know a yg DD and see the person as wearing it to flex.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
47FA90CE-3602-4BF5-B2A1-8E477339B567.jpeg

reenforced my DB status:
To my partner: should i wear the Patek or the swatch?

Him: You’re wearing a Maria callas t-shirt, what do you think, you idiot!

Sure my sister will appreciate this watch more anyway…

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i don't know what a douchebag watch is but i'm pretty sure the rainbow-jeweled daytonas (or tiger print ones)
Over here we are drowning in fuerdai and equivalent. They're relatively nicer people than the crypto sales types who have gone a little quieter lately but were really intent on parting you with your "fiat" savings for people supposed to believe in the digital equivalent. The former wears a rainbow Daytona or other rare and multicoloured object and the latter wears the most correct jumbo RO or Nautilus or whatever, possibly to attempt to generate the maximmum amount of trust by association with the honest working globalist professional.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2138799
reenforced my DB status:
To my partner: should i wear the Patek or the swatch?

Him: You’re wearing a Maria callas t-shirt, what do you think, you idiot!

Sure my sister will appreciate this watch more anyway…
Who's the Menuhin alum in the family? Rarer than Purcell's or Chets but the ones I've known have been truly exceptional musicians. I got my *** handed to me attempting Mozart K448 with a then 12 year old who sight read it note perfect at the speed I wished I could play it. I still remember the look of pity on his face.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Rolex DD is really "The DB watch!" It's a watch that people have purchased for decades to show "They have arrived!"
^^This. As corroboration, I give you an article from 1984 on it:

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who's the Menuhin alum in the family? Rarer than Purcell's or Chets but the ones I've known have been truly exceptional musicians. I got my *** handed to me attempting Mozart K448 with a then 12 year old who sight read it note perfect at the speed I wished I could play it. I still remember the look of pity on his face.
Mums book, just reading it. She was good friends with Hepi and knew Yehudi reasonably well.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just think caring about whether a watch is a “DB” watch is misguided to begin with.

The truth is, all of the watches mentioned—the Nautilus, the RO, Richard Mille, the Daytona, the Day-Date—are all exceptional watches with substantial intrinsic merit that have rightfully attained the status of modern classics. They are each expensive and hard to get. If the AP boutique suddenly wanted to sell me a 16202 at retail, I’d be jumping for joy and dropping everything to get to the store right away with my credit card. The last thing I’d be worried about? Whether some random dude on the internet without the same opportunity would think I or the watch are douchebaggy.

Mind you, said random dudes are rarely ever buying eccentric, unknown watches. They are just buying watches that are somewhat less hyped and somewhat more attainable. There is nothing original or unique about choosing a Rolex Submariner or an Omega Speedmaster for yourself.

If the Douchebag status of the Nautilus is Tier 1, due to the hype, notoriety, and visibility attached to it, that just means any “common” Rolex is Tier 3 Douchebag. In that case, I’ll happily max-out on douchebag rather than live under the sad delusion that my Explorer II says something special about me.

What’s a totally non-douchebag watch? The one nobody wants. What are we all actually choosing for ourselves? Almost in every instance: the most douchebaggy watch one can afford and attain.

Give me more douchebag, please.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^This. As corroboration, I give you an article from 1984 on it:
Thanks for sharing that! It was a fun read. Interesting to see that there were 75 dealers in Texas back then. I wonder how many there are now. There used to be so many more ADs in MA and RI in the 1980s and 90's...but now there is just 1 in RI and a few in MA. Also, interesting that the Rolex service center in Dallas that has been around for at least 30 years wasn't in existence back when the article was written.

The article also reminded me at an article my Mom shared with my back in either the late 1980s or 90's. It said in Texas a Day-Date is so common and so expected on wealthy Texans that they called it a "Texas Timex" and if you wore a tutone Rolex in Texas, people called it "Half a Rolex."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads