• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I appreciate that this thread has so many licensed psychiatrists participating in it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally got around to taking some decent photos of the 5811 with a real camera.

But photos don’t do justice to the quality and complexity of the case finishing. For example, the whisper-thin polished bevels along the edges of the bracelet links are perfectly aligned and streamlined from link to link. The brushing on the “ears” is curved to flow with their profile.

The back of the case is just as nicely finished and may be the hardest part to do. As they’ve returned to the mono-bloc construction of the original Nautilus, the bezel around the sapphire crystal is a single piece with the middle case and imposes a continuous interior angle around the entire circumference that has to be carefully resolved.

Bringing back the mono-bloc case is a really significant and meaningful upgrade versus the 5711, as it restores the original functionality of the case design, which had dictated its now iconic form—i.e. the 5811 case fully depends on the “ears” for water resistance and can be thinner for it too. In contrast, the 5711 and most other contemporary Nautilus models rely on a conventional screwback, rendering the ears superficial and decorative.

What I love is that Patek didn’t have to do it: nobody was demanding the mono-bloc, it required a ton of re-engineering and re-tooling, and they could have sold every single 5811 just as easily even without it.

I’ve now been wearing the watch for several months, on an almost daily basis. The thinness of the case and the suppleness of the bracelet make for an incredibly comfortable and natural feeling watch on the wrist. The weight is real, though. At just under 200 grams, it’s more than 50% heavier than a titanium Big Pilot (the 46mm one with 7-day movement). You won’t forget it’s an all-gold watch!

Having said all that, I would never wear this as I would a straight-up tool or sport watch. It’s just way too nice. My Daytona is my natural choice for camping trips and rough housing with the kids. But then, contrary to what some think, watches like the Nautilus and Royal Oak were never supposed to be “sport watches” in that way. They are luxury leisure watches—for lounging around in when you aren’t doing anything in particular.

For going to work in a more dressed-down environment or on a date with my wife, it is perfect. Though I’d also wear it with a suit in a pinch.

Unfortunate that the Nautilus is shrouded in so much hype. Underneath, it’s truly an exceptional watch.

CAA11821-293E-4E9E-8D0F-D68592FA5D1C.jpeg

B851852A-4959-4B5C-A241-232A1B7820D3.jpeg

6703A066-89D4-44AC-90EE-7211C2547560.jpeg

AC0B7721-B0C9-4196-9FF6-0CC5718277ED.jpeg

1251F1A6-8851-4119-A276-6FA52CF9DE72.jpeg

Last edited:

Keyser_Söze

Reaction score
I lived in Chevy Chase on the edge of DC for five years. Walked and took the metro all over DC and never felt unsafe. Mind you this was a while ago but I’ve still got connections in the city and no one tells me they worry about their personal safety.
Did you live before or after Covid? There was a large shift after Covid that isn't getting better. Before Covid I walked around DC for hours, literally everywhere except SE DC and felt fine. Now I don't at all. That's not to say you cannot go to DC at all, you can and I do for brunch or dinner with friends but that's it. The last time I tried walking around DC was after brunch with friends near the touristy area and there was a homeless woman on the corner yelling at tourists who then dropped her pants and pissed right on the sidewalk at an intersection. That's when I realized I'd rather just not walk around DC for now.

Anyways, this is going off topic but as far as watches go I don't wear my Rolex in public in DC at all.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did you live before or after Covid? There was a large shift after Covid that isn't getting better. Before Covid I walked around DC for hours, literally everywhere except SE DC and felt fine. Now I don't at all. That's not to say you cannot go to DC at all, you can and I do for brunch or dinner with friends but that's it. The last time I tried walking around DC was after brunch with friends near the touristy area and there was a homeless woman on the corner yelling at tourists who then dropped her pants and pissed right on the sidewalk at an intersection. That's when I realized I'd rather just not walk around DC for now.

Anyways, this is going off topic but as far as watches go I don't wear my Rolex in public in DC at all.

Way before COVID but there was plenty of crime hysteria about the city back then too.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Regarding wearing Rolexes in public isn't the running joke you should wear a fake in public and keep the real one in a safe at home? Regardless of the city you live in. ;)

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I still walk around everywhere as I work there and spend most of my free time there as Arlington never rises about “quaint.” Wear my Sub constantly.

Heading there now to E Street cinemas and maybe a post-flick cocktail with wifey.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have never even come close to getting mugged anywhere I’ve lived or spend a lot of time around. I’ve lived in some total shitholes.

The stuff about NYC is funny, it’s very very safe and I wouldn’t worry unless you’re like…some super tiny muggable looking nerd lol

Even MX was totally fine in less than nice areas really. But I’m also not some 60 year old muggable looking tourist.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never even come close to getting mugged anywhere I’ve lived or spend a lot of time around. I’ve lived in some total shitholes.

The stuff about NYC is funny, it’s very very safe and I wouldn’t worry unless you’re like…some super tiny muggable looking nerd lol

Even MX was totally fine in less than nice areas really. But I’m also not some 60 year old muggable looking tourist.

I agree—especially if by NYC you mean Manhattan. London and Paris are scarier, sketchier places. DC also.

Except, whoever mentioned Chevy Chase as a proxy for DC needs to get out more…

That said, I can’t think of an American city where I’d be generally worried about someone mugging me or beating me up for my watch. That and pick pocketing are just not common things here.

Ebitdaddy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree—especially if by NYC you mean Manhattan. London and Paris are scarier, sketchier places. DC also.

Except, whoever mentioned Chevy Chase as a proxy for DC needs to get out more…

That said, I can’t think of an American city where I’d be generally worried about someone mugging me or beating me up for my watch. That and pick pocketing are just not common things here.

Yeah, the mentally ill homeless people are not really muggers lol.

People from the middle of nowhere always seem to get mentally ill homeless people mixed up with violent muggers. In the US and Canada, they are not even close to being the same.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads