• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kind of into the Santos?
I know nothing about the Santos and its various sub-lines and what makes Santoses cool or not cool. But I did try on a two-tone medium sized one at the boutique in Milan.
Somebody educate me on what is the best/coolest Santos, contemporary or vintage.

View attachment 2112971
Some of my friends love the vintage ones, as they have the original bezel shape, and looked about the same for decades (and perhaps they like the vintage ones for nostalgia's sake). The first ones were released in steel and gold in 1978, then all gold and all steel followed later. It is derived from the Santos Dumont, which is the original purpose built aviator watch, but the Santos is sportier. Some of my friends love vintage steel ones as they were somewhat more affordable and prefer the original bezel and design. They use ETA based movements, are water resistant to 30m, and are good solid watches. There are what some call the Carree models with a protruding squarish case back, and the more noticeable clasp closure. Then there were the Galbee models, with a more flat back and an invisible butterfly style closure. They made a larger XL had a date at 4:30. That annoys some people, it doesn't bother me at all. Friends who are considerably older than me said that in the late 70s and 1980s the Santos was "The watch to have!" From time to time you may run across a few vintage limited edition or single shot models (one had a gray dial with lumed hands).

I tend to be slow to like change in designs, but I am a huge fan of the current Santos. I've had my steel large Santos with a blue dial for a little over 4 year and I love it. I think the change to the bezel make a lot of sense as it gives the watch a slightly sleeker look and also looks great when you have swapped out the metal bracelet for a leather or rubber one (I highly recommend the rubber one for summer). Other changes are it has an inhouse movement, its more highly antimagnetic than a Rolex Milgauss, it is water resistant to 100 meters, and it has the "Quickswitch" bracelet system that make it super easy to swap out the metal bracelet for a leather or rubber one. Full disclosure, you are wearing the medium size in the photo, and I'm not sure there is a rubber strap available for the medium models. The large models have a date at 6. I purchased the rubber strap from the ADLC and the PVD models which I believe are only made in the large size.

I find the current Santos is a great value, and and it gets a lot wrist time. I prefer the blue dial steel, and a few friends purchased Santos models after I did. One purchased it in steel, one purchased it in all rose gold, and one purchased the steel skeleton model. Also with a new one, you get an 8 year warranty when you register it. There are several variations, the newest being steel with a green dial. Wishing you lots of luck with whatever you decide. Cheers!

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Rolex Ripper gangs terrorising the streets of London, the clock is ticking.

As the next time a robber grabs a luxury watch from a victim's wrist, they may feel the long arm of the law.

Scotland Yard has deployed a squad of undercover officers posing as victims in an unprecedented sting to capture the so-called Rolex Rippers responsible for a spate of violent watch muggings across the capital.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No car at any price is fully optimized—but Porsche does an excellent job of eeking out the most efficient, highest value gains for the dollar charged to the consumer.

Magnesium wheels would have added ~$20k+ to the retail price. The improvement is noticeable, but relatively costly.
These guys do a pretty nice job of optimizing after the fact and it's fun just watching them wrench on a 992 turbo mill!

JamesInLondon

Reaction score
For someone who has spent more than half their life in the watch biz, I didn’t really notice watches until my early 20s; and I bought a Tissot PR516 because the steel bracelet had holes in it - like a Nardi steering wheel. I couldn’t afford any car that was fitted with a factory Nardi, so this was the closest I got.

But on my first dig, there was a professor from a university in Philadelphia - I forget which one - and he showed me how his GMT Master could tell the time both where we were and back home. And 24 year old me was smitten.

Three years later I had a job in advertising and my first bonus bought me a 1675 on a Jubilee bracelet - since then I have never been without a GMT Master.

GMT-2.jpeg

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For someone who has spent more than half their life in the watch biz, I didn’t really notice watches until my early 20s; and I bought a Tissot PR516 because the steel bracelet had holes in it - like a Nardi steering wheel. I couldn’t afford any car that was fitted with a factory Nardi, so this was the closest I got.

But on my first dig, there was a professor from a university in Philadelphia - I forget which one - and he showed me how his GMT Master could tell the time both where we were and back home. And 24 year old me was smitten.

Three years later I had a job in advertising and my first bonus bought me a 1675 on a Jubilee bracelet - since then I have never been without a GMT Master.

View attachment 2113141
Beautiful! What does the red text on the dial say? Is it Arabic? I always love the exotic touch of having non-Latin letters on a watch face.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the Rolex Ripper gangs terrorising the streets of London, the clock is ticking.

As the next time a robber grabs a luxury watch from a victim's wrist, they may feel the long arm of the law.

Scotland Yard has deployed a squad of undercover officers posing as victims in an unprecedented sting to capture the so-called Rolex Rippers responsible for a spate of violent watch muggings across the capital.

what a joy to watch!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
no worries for that, just check the photos below the video. Proper Englishmen.:lurk:
Must say that first, I have only watched the video.
If I had known I would have avoided the running gag.

Something I don’t understand is that London was supposed to be safe since they put cameras everywhere ?

I went there very recently and no problems at all, but it’s true that as I was with my kids I didn’t get out much the evenings.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads