• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still my favorite Rolex of all time.
IMG_5926.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a very (em)phat(ic) hour hand.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the OG Planet Ocean. I've toyed with the idea of getting the POLMLE or the orange 2500 PO for awhile now. The POLMLE have been hovering around $9k-$10k for the past few years but seems like they're starting to come back down to around $8k range.
Omega would have a huge hit on its hands if it could figure out a way to issue a new PO with the 2500's dimensions. 44 mm case with 16 mm height is a chunk of steel.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Omega would have a huge hit on its hands if it could figure out a way to issue a new PO with the 2500's dimensions. 44 mm case with 16 mm height is a chunk of steel.
Each generation of the PO has gotten worse in terms of size. The current gen of 39.5 with 14.5 height and 43.5 with 15.5mm height are terrible.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the OG Planet Ocean. I've toyed with the idea of getting the POLMLE or the orange 2500 PO for awhile now. The POLMLE have been hovering around $9k-$10k for the past few years but seems like they're starting to come back down to around $8k range.
I got this via proxy from Japan for a great price. There are some LE's listed on Rakuten for ≈$6,6k with the weak yen. Every Wednesday-Thursday, the proxy service OneMap runs a 7% or 10% discount for items on Rakuten.

I debated whether I'd want to save my pennies for the LE over this one. Overall I like the proportions of the bezel and dial of the 8500 PO best, and one thing I like about the LE is that it has the bezel design of the 8500 caliber (narrower inner metal ring), while retaining the open 9 and 6, which I love too. Plus ceramic of course.

But what appeals to me most about this watch is its resemblance to the all-time Omega great, the 165.024. So I concluded the design of this watch works best with the matte features (vs ceramic of the LE).
I also strongly considered tracking down a WatchCo assembly of one the 165.024. But ultimately I decided I'd rather have a modern Omega with a modern movement and all the serviceability and reliability of that, vs. some rickety old 552. So my hope is they re-issue the 165.024 in a few years when the heritage 300 is up for a refresh.

I've grown to love the proportions of this model, and its various quirks. The best Easter Egg I only recently noticed are the hidden sword hands (the lume on the hands are sword hands, inverted).

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Each generation of the PO has gotten worse in terms of size. The current gen of 39.5 with 14.5 height and 43.5 with 15.5mm height are terrible.
The 39.5 thickness is fine with me IMO. It's 14.1, a hair thinner than this 2500, and wears just fine on my wrist. Thinner than a Pelagos.
I just don't like it because the proportions feel off to me all around. The handset feels a tad too large; the numerals are ugly; the lugs are too stubby.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the new LV Tambour, and watched the painful Wei Koh PR video that @Newcomer linked (he looks like a midlife crisis chrome hearts stan...gross), but dang, I can't get the watch out of my mind.

It's honestly the platonic ideal for a subseconds sector dial for me. Everything is beautifully symetrical, nothing is cut off, everything feels extremely considered. All of the gripes I have about most watches are solved here in a really elegant way.

All of the numerals and indices are intact and the same size, and have this way of leading the eye from one dial subsection into the next. The hand length is perfectly in like with the dial subsections.

The bezel around the inner subsections is a consistent width, and perfectly cuts the subdial in half, a perfect proportion. In fact, it seems like the inner bezel is the same width as the outline on the numerals! The ikepod-style integrated case is also a winner, and truly awesome at just a hair over 8mm.

This could be my fav watch, aethetically, of 2023 to date.

View attachment 1988623

View attachment 1988625

The more I look at the Tambour the more I like it. I think that LV knocked one out of the park.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 39.5 thickness is fine with me IMO. It's 14.1, a hair thinner than this 2500, and wears just fine on my wrist. Thinner than a Pelagos.
I just don't like it because the proportions feel off to me all around. The handset feels a tad too large; the numerals are ugly; the lugs are too stubby.
Agreed. It's not the overall thickness that's the problem. It's the thickness compared to the overal size of the watch. 14mm thick for a 39.5mm watch with an actual dial size closer to 38mm makes the proportions all off.

14mm thick to a 42mm watch with a 40mm dial size wears much better (basically Speedy Pro proportions)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads