• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LVEsq

Reaction score
Only Barrett I care about...

copier@barrett.net_20220420_140733_0008-e1680620237848-660x389.jpg
I have one of these bad boys with BORS acquisition system on it - deadly accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. My wife tried to shoot it and even laying on the ground, with full sandbag support, it pushed her back a full foot. Crazy thing! I heard they tested them in Beirut and the initial sniper who dialed it in made a kill shot over a mile long! Really changed the sniper game. The Russians had Dragunov Rifle as the answer to Barrett, but it was never quite as good.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have one of these bad boys with BORS acquisition system on it - deadly accurate and a lot of fun to shoot. My wife tried to shoot it and even laying on the ground, with full sandbag support, it pushed her back a full foot. Crazy thing! I heard they tested them in Beirut and the initial sniper who dialed it in made a kill shot over a mile long! Really changed the sniper game. The Russians had Dragunov Rifle as the answer to Barrett, but it was never quite as good.

As someone who used to do a decent amount of skeet and trap shooting, I can only imagine how much money it costs to take that thing plinking at the range...

LVEsq

Reaction score
As someone who used to do a decent amount of skeet and trap shooting, I can only imagine how much money it costs to take that thing plinking at the range...
The best rate I got is about $5.00 per round lol - I don't shoot more than 15-20 rounds at a time. The fun is zeroing in BORS and blowing up tenorite. Shooting is just an expensive hobby in general, but so are cars and watches.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Calling shooting that thing "plinking" is an insult.

pmeis

Reaction score
Stopped at Short Hills today for something else and did a little watch browsing. It'd been a minute since I'd been there and apparently there are Panerai and IWC boutiques opening next door to the Breitling one, just below the Rolex, Patek, Tudor and Omega dealers boutiques. I actually got told to come back later when I tried to go into the Omega boutique as they said all sales reps were busy, which I thought was a bit silly as it was not particularly busy and I really just wanted to browse...The one watch that caught my fancy in real life more than I expected was the Seamaster Nekton. I could pull it off, but I just kind of wish the Seamasters were a bit smaller. Also took a gander at the new green Aqua Terra Worldtime...what a fun, but huge and highly illegible watch.

I hadn't seen the new Patek/Tudor AD yet. The Patek area was pretty nice, pretty sure a guy was picking up his new Aquanaut Travel Time while I was there. The Tudor area is pretty funny as they've basically shoved it all the way in the back corner of the jewelry portion of the store like the redheaded step child.

the Rolex boutique had the velvet rope up, but there seemed to be no real wait to get in. I didn't ask because I'm not interested in them right now. Cartier seems to be the only other store in the mall that still has a full-time gatekeeper preventing you from entering. During and even after the pandemic had eased for a while, it seemed like all of the high-dollar designer boutiques were appointment-only. Not that big of a deal, they took my name and number and called me in within 20 minutes. Saw the green Santos, I liked the dial a lot, but I feel like with the polished bezel models, I'm solidly in between sizes.

Also went into the Bulgari boutique wanting to try on the Octa Worldtimer, but they didn't have one. All told, a successful trip that left me without actually wanting any new watches.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
* Crocodile Dundee voice *

"That's not a roifle! This ... is a roifle!"

LVEsq

Reaction score
* Crocodile Dundee voice *

"That's not a roifle! This ... is a roifle!"

That thing looks like it was welded together at home using some spare Volga parts... The computations that it would take to be accurate with something like that, including windage, elevation, bullet drop, earth curvature, etc. is incredible.

Doxe

Reaction score
When I bought my two-tone Rolex Submariner "bluesy" 16613 circa 1996 in 2019 it was $7,200 USD. The regular Submariner was going for $9,000+.

Not only was it less expensive, it was different from all of the other Submariners (fake or real) that everyone seems to own.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cartier seems to be the only other store in the mall that still has a full-time gatekeeper preventing you from entering. During and even after the pandemic had eased for a while, it seemed like all of the high-dollar designer boutiques were appointment-only. Not that big of a deal, they took my name and number and called me in within 20 minutes. Saw the green Santos, I liked the dial a lot, but I feel like with the polished bezel models, I'm solidly in between sizes.
The boutique near me still has a person that takes names and lets you know when a sales associate is available to assist you. However unlike the Omega boutique you tried to visit, where they told you to come back later, Cartier will let you walk around and browse until an SA becomes available. Interesting that you feel you are between with the polished bezel models as the large is the same size as the ADLC & steel model you had. Maybe the polished bezel version creates some sort of size optical illusion in your eyes. On my last visit, they only had the medium green dial Santos. I liked it, and in photos it looked fine. However, after years of wearing the large model, the medium felt/looked too small. Even though it's considered a unisex piece, I felt like I was trying on a ladies model.
When I bought my two-tone Rolex Submariner "bluesy" 16613 circa 1996 in 2019 it was $7,200 USD. The regular Submariner was going for $9,000+.

Not only was it less expensive, it was different from all of the other Submariners (fake or real) that everyone seems to own.
Back in the 1980's the bluesy was a big hit with professionals who were becoming successful. I can remember, that a bunch of doctors in their late 30's early 40s at the hospital my Dad was affiliated with had purchased bluesies. Around the late 80's to early 90's it had also become very popular with sales managers at car dealerships...then by the mid 90's there was a big trend towards white metal watches (there were even articles about it in watch magazines). AP, PP and other companies stopped offering two tone watches, and VC didn't bother to offer a two tone version of the Overseas when the first generation was released in 1996-97. It seemed like for a number of years the three luxury watch brands that continued to offer two tone watches were Rolex, Cartier and Omega. It's been interesting to see a revival of interest in two tone watches in recent years with other brands offering two tone options again.

Tried and True

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped at Short Hills today….. Cartier seems to be the only other store in the mall that still has a full-time gatekeeper preventing you from entering. During and even after the pandemic had eased for a while, it seemed like all of the high-dollar designer boutiques were appointment-only.

The presence of the Cartier gatekeeper has morphed from health to ant-theft.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads