• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Rezaei had walked into the Shreve & Co. jewelry shop, nestled among other high-end retailers near San Francisco’s Union Square, “and expressed an interest in purchasing a Patek Phillipe 5980/1R-001 watch,” according to his lawsuit filed this week.

No, no, no, he was purportedly told by the shop. One does not just waltz in off the street and saunter out with a 5980/1R-001: No watch for you, sir — yet.

But meanwhile, Shreve — which in 1887 became the second U.S. jeweler in the U.S. to represent Patek Philippe, according to the company — knew as early as November 2021 when it sold him the women’s watch that it was losing its status as a Patek Philippe dealer and would not be able to sell him the 5980/1R-001, the lawsuit claimed.

symphvaria

Reaction score
On one hand, he's obviously a moron for playing along with the AD game and trying to suck up to them to get his precious hype watch. On the other hand, maybe a few lawsuits are in order to put this tired nonsense of accumulating spending history to rest. Can't say I have much sympathy for either party.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, you've caught me at my worst.
IMG_5596.jpeg

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was in Mille Miglia last year in Brescia on the red carpet and I couldn't spot anyone wearing any Chopard watches even though they had a giant booth there.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the brand, and the regular Mille Miglia line is anything but attractive to me, but this model has something appealing, the lovely grained beige dial and the unusual colour combination.

Another nice model of the past.

Screenshot (492).png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On one hand, he's obviously a moron for playing along with the AD game and trying to suck up to them to get his precious hype watch. On the other hand, maybe a few lawsuits are in order to put this tired nonsense of accumulating spending history to rest. Can't say I have much sympathy for either party.
Sounds like the lawsuit is less about the "pay to play" business practice and more about a straight up fraudulent inducement. It's not the fact that he has to buy other stuff to get what he wanted (which he clearly was perfectly willing to do). It's that the AD knew they wouldn't be able to get him what he wanted in the first place, regardless of whether he bought other crap he didn't really want, but smelled blood in the water and strung him along.

Doxe

Reaction score
Sounds like the lawsuit is less about the "pay to play" business practice and more about a straight up fraudulent inducement. It's not the fact that he has to buy other stuff to get what he wanted (which he clearly was perfectly willing to do). It's that the AD knew they wouldn't be able to get him what he wanted in the first place, regardless of whether he bought other crap he didn't really want, but smelled blood in the water and strung him along.

What is unstated is that the watch has a fair market value greater than the MSRP. So, in effect, ADs are selling a $12,000 FMV watch for $8,500 MSRP. Or in the case of the Tiffany blue OPs from Rolex, the FMV was $40K for a $5,500 MSRP.

I don't blame ADs for trying to leverage the fact that the AD is the loser in the equation. Hence the gray market and ADs flipping product under the table. What would solve the problem is if MSRP reflected FMV. Maybe that is what Rolex is trying to do with the pre-owned watches.

The moral of the story is that you should be comfortable buying something for FMV. Stop trying to scam ADs who know they are selling a $10 bill for $7. If you are able to buy a $10 bill for $7, then hooray for you. But don't be a cnut and whine that someone won't sell you something that will immediately enrich you at the vendor's expense.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not a fan of the brand, and the regular Mille Miglia line is anything but attractive to me, but this model has something appealing, the lovely grained beige dial and the unusual colour combination.

Another nice model of the past.

View attachment 1974737

As a fan of motorsports, and watches inspired by them, I really like this new rendition. I liked the concept of these competitor watches where they would engrave your car number into the caseback, however, the cutoff arabic numerals always rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm glad to see Chopard modernize this series with baton markers, and sword hands, however now it just looks like a Tag Carrera...which maybe isn't a bad thing?? 😂

That said, Chopard LUC is an incredibly underrated brand! Everyone (including me) was sweating like a pig over the salmon dial at W&W recently

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads