• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Among the hoi polloi today.

IMG_0004.jpeg

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got this a few weeks ago...

Last weekend, fortunate to pick this up from the Rolex Boutique with no purchase history...

img_4046-jpeg.17489474
Wow, that's pretty impressive. I don't think my local Rolex boutique will do anything for anyone who doesn't already have a purchase history. I've been in there a few times over the years and still no calls.

Last edited:

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
two tone watches give me weird vibes, like somebody is trying to stunt but can not afford full gold watch. I know it is not that with many people, but still looks like it. It is tacky and tasteless imo. I say go big or go home. So full gold or no gold at all.
Sounds a bit like the old sayings Texans with oil money supposedly had about Rolex watches back in the 1980s. An all gold Rolex was called a "Texas Timex" and two tone models were called "Half a Rolex."

That being said when Cartier first released the Santos model in 1978 - it was released in steel and gold. The all gold models and all steel models came later. So even today, the tutone Santos models are very popular and some consider it the most historically correct model to have since it was originally only offered in steel and gold.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might be in minority but I really do not understand the appeal of two tone watches.
There's one aspect that over this year I realised I quite liked which is that they fly under the radar. Two tone DJ and DJ inspired watches are very common amongst taxi drivers here for example. So you can wear something a lot nicer than you "should" and get away with it - I think even the two tone Explorer despite its more recognisable dial. The very cheapness that people now associate with their overbearing presence in the last few decades is an asset.

Doxe

Reaction score
Breguet. Retrograde seconds is fun, but the power reserve makes the dial confusing. The great thing about Breguet and Panerai is that you only need one. They all look the same, with just slight variations in design. They are the AC/DC of watches: the same 10 songs are released on multiple albums.

Breguet.jpg

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Breguet. Retrograde seconds is fun, but the power reserve makes the dial confusing. The great thing about Breguet and Panerai is that you only need one. They all look the same, with just slight variations in design. They are the AC/DC of watches: the same 10 songs are released on multiple albums.
Blasphemy, that's like saying Westminster and St Paul's are the same! Just look at yours, then ebit's Marine and weird modernist contraption. All from the same name.

I'll grant you Panerai but they don't really make watches, more like a frying pan company that accidentally put a leather strap on it and attached it to Silvester Stallone.

pmeis

Reaction score
I might be in minority but I really do not understand the appeal of two tone watches.
I think, like most things, two-tone is a range of looks and I don't think writing it off completely is a great outlook. I have the two-tone Explorer and for me there was something about the oddity of perhaps the most basic tool watch being tricked up a bit that spoke to me. Weirdly though, before the two-tone Explorer, I've essentially had zero interest in owning a normal version in the 10 or so years I've been collecting. Despite my ownership of it, I see almost no personal appeal in two-tone subs (I find the Bluesy particularly ugly), but could see something like a two-tone Santos or GMT as being something interesting in the future.

I also like the idea of gold on a watch, but whereas it can be fairly subtle on a dress watch with a leather strap, I find most full yellow/rose gold bracelet watches to be a bit overbearing to look at, whereas I can get just a touch of something extra with the gold on my Explorer.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peak Patek postulated.

Kappelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the two-tone Explorer and for me there was something about the oddity
I am generally not a fan of two-tone watches. But when I tried the two-tone Explorer I was surprised at how great it was on the wrist.

52603998484_36bc57c228_b.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads