• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested to know what you like about this one in particular. Based on the watches you normally like/own, I wouldn’t have guessed this would be a Nomos that you like.

I've tried on the more usual designs we have come to expect from Nomos, and they never looked good to my eye in person. I disliked the lugs, the basically non-existent bezel, and the case was nothing special. They just didn't sit well on my wrist. I respect the value they provide buyers with, but they simply were designs that fell flat with me.

This piece, looks a bit more like something I could wear and enjoy. It has a more conventional bezel, normal looking lugs, and I like the monochromatic look of the case and dial. It also looks like it has potentially a very smooth feel, almost like titanium, although maybe I'm wrong, I haven't tried one. In the end, I suppose I see it as the Nomos for guys who aren't traditional Nomos customers.

Fair point on the current climate. I hate wearing one of my Rolexes now if I go out. Someone will generally make a comment about it.

Not sure where you live or work, but in my area unless you walk into a watch shop, no one cares if you have a Rolex. It's a nice watch, and I really like them, but I can't recall the last time anyone commented on one. Maybe is says more about where you live than the actual watch itself.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Vegas February 3-5 for business. Staying at Aria/Vdara. Won't have a ton of free time, but I want to do something interesting, and I'm not a big gambler. Are the watch shops at CityCenter/Crystals worth visiting? Saturday afternoon is pretty much spoken for, with golf at Las Vegas National if a contact can't get me on at the Wynn (not enough of a Big Timer to justify dropping $1,000 to play Shadow Creek 🤷). So I'm looking at mostly Friday afternoon and evening for time to kill.

10 years ago you could buy almost anything there other than say a steel Daytona. Now it's the same as any other city. Nothing to buy, some samples at Rolex and you'll need appointments to try things on at a few stores. You're better off checking out some of the clothing shops.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've tried on the more usual designs we have come to expect from Nomos, and they never looked good to my eye in person. I disliked the lugs, the basically non-existent bezel, and the case was nothing special. They just didn't sit well on my wrist. I respect the value they provide buyers with, but they simply were designs that fell flat with me.

This piece, looks a bit more like something I could wear and enjoy. It has a more conventional bezel, normal looking lugs, and I like the monochromatic look of the case and dial. It also looks like it has potentially a very smooth feel, almost like titanium, although maybe I'm wrong, I haven't tried one. In the end, I suppose I see it as the Nomos for guys who aren't traditional Nomos customers.

Not sure where you live or work, but in my area unless you walk into a watch shop, no one cares if you have a Rolex. It's a nice watch, and I really like them, but I can't recall the last time anyone commented on one. Maybe is says more about where you live than the actual watch itself.

To me the Nomos watches, as well as the most German ones, are highly unattractive. Especially the much reputed Lange and Glashuette Original are absolutely uninteresting to me. I only own items from Union and Sinn.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me the Nomos watches, as well as the most German ones, are highly unattractive. Especially the much reputed Lange and Glashuette Original are absolutely uninteresting to me. I only own items from Union and Sinn.

I like Sinn watches, the original Bell & Ross when they were made by Sinn, and a few pieces from Lange & Sohne (Lange 1, Lange 1 Moonphase, and the Cabaret), but most German watches don't do much for me.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Had a great experience at the JLC boutique while in Vegas* a couple of years ago, with a very knowledgeable and patient sales rep who showed me several pieces and chatted about other brands and watches in general for a good half hour or or so. I remember looking at a Geophysic and a few Reverso models IIRC. Enjoy your visit and gamble responsibly :)

*pre-Covid, natch

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I won't deny, still the bracelet is nice and a good option.
In my, not un-biased, opinion one of the nicest watches JLC made for a while. They then downsized to use the same 39mm case as the bigger selling MUT Moon for economies of scale, went with a cheaper cut-out dial for the small seconds and some loser also decided to add text. Automatiquel deez nutz.

🙁

Screen Shot 2023-01-15 at 6.26.47 PM.png

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my, not un-biased, opinion one of the nicest watches JLC made for a while. They then downsized to use the same 39mm case as the bigger selling MUT Moon for economies of scale, went with a cheaper cut-out dial for the small seconds and some loser also decided to add text. Automatiquel deez nutz.

🙁

View attachment 1879275
Meh. Welcome to the F.A.R.T., I guess.

symphvaria

Reaction score
Going to be a contrarian and say that 40mm is too big for a dress watch (cough cough VC Patrimony) and the older smaller indices leave a lot of negative space on an already very empty dial. I just wish they made literally anything with that same shade of blue.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going to be a contrarian and say that 40mm is too big for a dress watch (cough cough VC Patrimony) and the older smaller indices leave a lot of negative space on an already very empty dial. I just wish they made literally anything with that same shade of blue.

As regards the size, I would agree, I also prefer a smaller case for a dress watch, 37/38 mm are ideal for me. Nevertheless in the case of the Master UT I find that the old 40mm version is much more attractive, the dial more distinctive, balanced and better executed.

symphvaria

Reaction score
As regards the size, I would agree, I also prefer a smaller case for a dress watch, 37/38 mm are ideal for me. Nevertheless in the case of the Master UT I find that the old 40mm version is much more attractive, the dial more distinctive, balanced and better executed.
I prefer the execution of the small seconds on the 40mm (the small metal dots are a really really nice touch) but I find the proportion of the 12/3/6/9 indices relative to the dial and the hour hand very odd. Look at how the hour hand is just long enough to touch every other indices, but for whatever reason the 12/3/6/9 markers are shorter and fatter rather than simply outright larger or differently shaped like they usually are on most other watches, so the hour hand isn't long enough to touch them and you get a lot of empty space. The 39mm version is much more balanced in this regard, with an added subtle contour of the indices size around the small seconds which I find very tasteful.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I prefer the execution of the small seconds on the 40mm (the small metal dots are a really really nice touch) but I find the proportion of the 12/3/6/9 indices relative to the dial and the hour hand very odd. Look at how the hour hand is just long enough to touch every other indices, but for whatever reason the 12/3/6/9 markers are shorter and fatter rather than simply outright larger or differently shaped like they usually are on most other watches, so the hour hand isn't long enough to touch them and you get a lot of empty space. The 39mm version is much more balanced in this regard, with an added subtle contour of the indices size around the small seconds which I find very tasteful.
Screenshot (196).png
Screenshot (197).png

Not trying to convince you, but what you pointed out, was made for having an overall symmetry, which I much appreciate, whereas on the dial of the 39mm you have indices differently sized, a thing that really bothers me.

symphvaria

Reaction score
View attachment 1879344 View attachment 1879340

Not trying to convince you, but what you pointed out, was made for having an overall symmetry, which I much appreciate, whereas on the dial of the 39mm you have indices differently sized, a thing that really bothers me.
The latest reference of the 39mm doesn’t the differently sized 11/2 indices.
9F1BCA05-B4DA-4B26-B0AD-21A0F60639E1.jpeg

The only differently sized indices are the 5/7 and 6 o’clock to conform to the shape of the small seconds, which I find to be perfectly acceptable given the subtlety of their execution. You certainly don’t hear anyone complaining that the Patek 96 has partially eaten 5/7 markers and a missing 6 o’clock marker

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The latest reference of the 39mm doesn’t the differently sized 11/2 indices.
View attachment 1879345
The only differently sized indices are the 5/7 and 6 o’clock to conform to the shape of the small seconds, which I find to be perfectly acceptable given the subtlety of their execution. You certainly don’t hear anyone complaining that the Patek 96 has partially eaten 5/7 markers and a missing 6 o’clock marker

This is so much better, even though I still prefer the 40mm.

pmeis

Reaction score

The Club model itself is the most “normal” Nomos and a great playground for trying out different colors. While it has more “normal” lugs, they are generally just as complained about as the Tangente type lugs because they are on the longer side.

I hope this doesn’t blind you ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads