• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Randomly looking at blue dial tool watches, I came across a [LE?] Seamaster re-issue (ca. 2014) that I've never seen before. Not likely to make into my collection but it checks a lot of boxes in terms of details that fucx. Looks sharp with the blue dial and titanium construction. Not too crazy about the faux vintage treatment but an interesting package.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Randomly looking at blue dial tool watches, I came across a [LE?] Seamaster re-issue (ca. 2014) that I've never seen before. Not likely to make into my collection but it checks a lot of boxes in terms of details that fucx. Looks sharp with the blue dial and titanium construction. Not too crazy about the faux vintage treatment but an interesting package.

Watch is thick AF. I was going to get the SS version of this one a few years ago until I tried it on. Way too fat wear with anything other than short sleeve shirts.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I looked at my collection and, quite frankly, it was not made for a three-watch collection. If I were to reduce to three watches, I think I would change my choices - although I have not thought that through.

In any event, here is my three - the Explorer and Speedy are neck and neck:

ap_7244241.jpg

bul.jpg

rolex_7132901.jpg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interestingly, I looked at my collection and, quite frankly, it was not made for a three-watch collection. If I were to reduce to three watches, I think I would change my choices - although I have not thought that through.

In any event, here is my three - the Explorer and Speedy are neck and neck:

View attachment 1854551
View attachment 1854552
View attachment 1854553
How do you feel about your Explorer? Would be interested to hear your take on it, from a longer-term owner's perspective.

P.S. That Patek is such a looker!

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about your Explorer? Would be interested to hear your take on it, from a longer-term owner's perspective.

P.S. That Patek is such a looker!

The Patek is my master of the weeds in my garden watch.

I’ll flesh out my thoughts on the Explorer tomorrow. TLDR, I think it’s the best modern Rolex.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t really think about a three piece capsule collection in real terms, but if I were keeping only 3 out of my collection and selling the rest, I would keep my hesa speedy, my short hand explorer and my MT-G G-Shock. I would feel bad about selling my Nomos (Tangomat GMT) and a tinge of ragrets about my BLNR, but GMT isn’t really something I need and it’s in my MTG along with everything else.

In line with what I said recently, I’m pretty much over most typical complications. As @Newcomer and I have both pointed out recently, the world has changed and it feels like the luxury watch industry for the most part would rather fight old wars. If I’m going to be buying for capability in a mechanical watch it is either something super cool/novel in a time only like a fusee and chain movement or a zeitwerk, or it’s some kind of unique complication like the Krayon Anywhere, which does something my G Shocks and Apple Watch don’t even really do.

I also recognize I’m not a traditional watch buyer and that I don’t identify with the hype people either, so I’m not representative of a big market but I yam what I yam. If I ever decide to drop real coin on a watch it’s more likely to be something like an RM with some crazy steel cable instead of a baseplate or a Zeitwerk or Richard Lange PLM. Don’t care about hand finishing, perp cals or the AD experience, so I have no interest in the big 3 or most traditional maker. I also shop almost exclusively online and even when I got my BLNR at an AD I sent friends in to pick it up because they wanted to have the champagne experience. Win win.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just couldn’t do 3 as so many where gifts for special occasions; graduations, Birthdays etc… and presents to self for momentous occasions - of course, some self indulgence, too. Futile to even try.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone have a recommendation on service and repair for this JLC Master Mariner and IWC Cal 89? Both belonged to my father. I believe both are from the 1960s. I serviced two vintage Rolexes a couple of years ago, and there seemed to be more of a consenses on the top tier independent shops for vintage Rolex. Any certification I should be looking for in an independent shop? Better to try to send back to the maker?

Thanks
View attachment 1854193 View attachment 1854194
This is a great independent in birmingham Michigan that has gone some awesome work for me in the past. They would be a place to have a chat with

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time SF-er (well, the Streetwear side), very new watch owner. My first was a Turn-O-Graph/Thunderbird…

25CA2A77-6834-4EEA-84AA-ECAC19EB099F.jpeg

And now I want a second! So I turn to you, esteemed members of the board. I’m thinking 1) my birthyear (80’s) Rolex DJ, a bit patina’d, or 2) a good ol’ Omega Seamaster

is the Seamaster too close to what I already have? What’s the move?

4F30DFB6-B8CB-44B2-9721-CA58ADDE386E.jpeg

605E09D8-9CF6-4170-9AC9-803740B95041.jpeg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Long time SF-er (well, the Streetwear side), very new watch owner. My first was a Turn-O-Graph/Thunderbird…

View attachment 1854591

And now I want a second! So I turn to you, esteemed members of the board. I’m thinking 1) my birthyear (80’s) Rolex DJ, a bit patina’d, or 2) a good ol’ Omega Seamaster

is the Seamaster too close to what I already have? What’s the move?

View attachment 1854592
View attachment 1854593
I thought all turn-o-graphs had red date wheels?! Guess not

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love two out of three here, particularly that Patek.

Of the three, I am guessing you do not like the Octo?

I like these three because I have dressy, dressy-sport, and sport. The Rolex Explorer can do double-duty on "tool." With this collection, though, I'd like to have a beater Seiko. That said, I will be the first to admit - if you asked me to put together my ideal three-watch collection, perhaps only the Rolex Explorer would remain. I decided on some level of diversity because I would like an 8-10 watch collection.

Going forward, I cannot imagine that I would leave my future Voutilainen out of the mix. I also would keep the Patek, or perhaps some other Patek I may acquire down the line. Then, maybe the Explorer?

I don't know, three watch collections are for the birds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics