• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The shape of the Cartier makes it the winner for me. I’m sure the Patek is beautiful but it’s still more watch than jewelry (which may be a benefit, I don’t know). She already has “real” watches, so going a bit more towards jewelry seems like a reasonable move here

You hit it on the head. The Cartier is definitely more jewelry and more about design (thought it does have a proper mechanical movement), whereas the Patek is definitely a far more serious watch. That said, the Patek has the benefit of being a nice complement to the 5170 she gave me for my 40th. Also, they are virtually the same price—can’t help but feel I’d be getting a lot more for my money with the Patek.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking of a watch to give my wife for her big 40th next year.

She already has a steel Reverso, two-tone Datejust, and white gold Tank LC with diamond-paved branchards.

She dresses in a luxury casual way most of the time (think Max Mara camel coats over tight, cropped jeans and sneakers) and also tilts into the girlier end of things (close-fitting mini-dresses with colorful patterns combined with ballet flats or Keds). She usually accessorizes with diamonds and/or pearls, regardless of how casual she’s dressed.

My two top choices so far:

View attachment 1846845
View attachment 1846846

Thoughts?

Is an AP RO out of the question? I feel like chicks dig the AP RO.

FPJ Elegante? Vintage TT Nautilus?

Also, some instagram inspo that I am sure you are aware of:

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking of a watch to give my wife for her big 40th next year.

She already has a steel Reverso, two-tone Datejust, and white gold Tank LC with diamond-paved branchards.

She dresses in a luxury casual way most of the time (think Max Mara camel coats over tight, cropped jeans and sneakers) and also tilts into the girlier end of things (close-fitting mini-dresses with colorful patterns combined with ballet flats or Keds). She usually accessorizes with diamonds and/or pearls, regardless of how casual she’s dressed.

My two top choices so far:

View attachment 1846845
View attachment 1846846

Thoughts?
How I think I remember her from a pic a while back, and how you describe I immediately think the Cartier.

I don’t particularly like that Patek, feels too flashy.
I do like the 7041R if sticking to Patek.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is an AP RO out of the question? I feel like chicks dig the AP RO.

FPJ Elegante? Vintage TT Nautilus?

Also, some instagram inspo that I am sure you are aware of:

Can’t get an RO or FP—even if I wanted to! Anyway, she would want a mechanical watch, so Elegante is a no go.

I already follow the second two IGs. The first is a nice find.

I’d go Cartier. No female wants to maintain a manually wound moonphase.

Vapid females, maybe. Not all females are like that and certainly not my wife.

How I think I remember her from a pic a while back, and how you describe I immediately think the Cartier.

I don’t particularly like that Patek, feels to flashy.
I do like the 7041R if sticking to Patek.

I don’t think I was ever foolish enough to post her photo here, but I’ve been known to make stupid mistakes …

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife likes diamonds too - but I feel like women don't always want everything studded out (could be wrong, who knows). Personally, I really like Lung Lung's Cartier Monopusher. It is interesting horologically (IIRC, it is a Journe movement), is beautiful, is slightly effeminate, and the yellow strap is insanely cool.

Lung Lung 2.JPG

Lung Lung1.JPG

I know you know the watch, but the details are quite lovely and I think it would be a challenge getting one in lovely condition:

Cartier-Privee-Collection-Tortue-Monopoussoir-Chronograph-W1525851-9-1536x1024.jpg

Cartier-Privee-Collection-Tortue-Monopoussoir-Chronograph-W1525851-19-1536x1024.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a watch for my wife for Christmas, and have been vacillating between the Panthere, Francais, diamonds or no diamonds, small or medium, etc.

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My wife likes diamonds too - but I feel like women don't always want everything studded out (could be wrong, who knows). Personally, I really like Lung Lung's Cartier Monopusher. It is interesting horologically (IIRC, it is a Journe movement), is beautiful, is slightly effeminate, and the yellow strap is insanely cool.

View attachment 1846878
View attachment 1846879

I know you know the watch, but the details are quite lovely and I think it would be a challenge getting one in lovely condition:

Cartier-Privee-Collection-Tortue-Monopoussoir-Chronograph-W1525851-9-1536x1024.jpg

Cartier-Privee-Collection-Tortue-Monopoussoir-Chronograph-W1525851-19-1536x1024.jpg

I've been thinking about getting a watch for my wife for Christmas, and have been vacillating between the Panthere, Francais, diamonds or no diamonds, small or medium, etc.

The Monopoussoir is fantastic, but it would almost feel like giving her something that is more about what I like than what she likes.

While she wants her watches to be “real” watches, with substance to them, she is not a watch enthusiast. They really are more like jewelry for her—but with guts.

That said, I’d wager she knows exponentially more about watches than most women. She knows about all the major makers and can spot who makes what. She likes the history, tradition, etc. So, Patek being Patek certainly does have an effect on her.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Monopoussoir is fantastic, but it would almost feel like giving her something that is more about what I like than what she likes.

While she wants her watches to be “real” watches, with substance to them, she is not a watch enthusiast. They really are more jewelry for her—but with guts.

I get it. This is why I am probably going to get my wife a SS quartz Francaise and call it a day.

Maybe you should go a different direction than watches, then? I have also had this thought...

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I get it. This is why I am probably going to get my wife a SS quartz Francaise and call it a day.

Maybe you should go a different direction than watches, then? I have also had this thought...

No, she wants a watch. It’s like jewelry to her, only better, with more dimensions to enjoy.

If I got her a quartz watch, she’d feel insulted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads