• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ctp120

Reaction score
I suggest a Lange Saxonia Thin if it's not too plain and dressy for your tastes. Goes great with both a tuxedo and a t-shirt and jeans.

It is a little on the plain side, but very handsome nonetheless. Would definitely be different from anything I have now and fill a bit of a hole I have on the dressier side of things.

My wishlist (at least the somewhat feasible one) currently includes two main targets: Patek 3940 and AP 15500 (currently on a list for this one at the 57th St. store. I know Foo's opinion on lists, but thus far I've had good interactions with the SA there, and I also tend to put some faith in "lists" since I've bought my Daytona, GMT, and a Seadweller that way).

Anyways, thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:

ctp120

Reaction score
Rule number 1 of watch collecting:
Buy as many Rolex as you can

Rule number 2:
See rule number 1

But seriously if you are mostly casual in Jordan 4’s, I would suggest another sports watch, non black face.A blue dialed Panerai, a GP Laureato, an IWC pilot or chrono, the black Santos, APRO if you want to go that high in price. On the lower price end, Sinn would work.

D50185F9-A260-47FF-845B-86E37607D5A6.jpeg

Thanks, Ed. I'm more often causal in the manner of today's outfit (Orazio sportcoat 2 open patch, raw APCs, Denim/Chambray BD, Baudoin & Lange loafers), but I'm glad the APRO made the list (see my reply to Ambulance Chaser). I've also toyed with a Panerai as an idea too.

JPHardy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ctp120

If todays look is a norm. Panerai would be great.
While my 44 fits me well, I would today go for the 40 and if color change blue or the green.

Nice collection. Really like both dress watches.

1666211520098.png

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1846210
^What I happen to be wearing today.

Thought it might be fun to get opinions from this crowd on where I should go next with my “collection” (feels silly calling it that, but whatever). I certainly have my own ideas about what I'd like next, but I’ll keep them to myself, at least at first, and instead ask for your thoughts without reference to my mine. If interested, see the spoilered pics and descriptions below for the rest of my current inventory.

These first two were my purchases and not tied to any significant occasions; same with the Sub above. I tend to wear this trio most often. I rarely wear a tie and am often in jeans, so sportier rolexes fit in well with my day-to-day needs:
View attachment 1846219
View attachment 1846223

The blinged-out DD President is an heirloom that belonged to my Grandfather that sees very limited wrist time (wish it didn't have the diamond bezel or Morelis finish, but an heirloom nonetheless).
View attachment 1846252

This Tag was a wedding day gift from my wife, so strong sentimental value, but also sees very limited wrist time these days.
View attachment 1846261
Definitely lighter on dressier watches, but I like and still often wear this Parmigiani, a gift from my father many years ago.
View attachment 1846220

A hand-me-down dress watch from my father long ago--I think maybe a "gift" to him from a business associate but not totally sure. He hardly wore it, and at the time I didn't have anything approaching a dress watch.
View attachment 1846254

A gift from my parents during college, this one saw heavy rotation then; mostly sits unused now, though I've dusted it off a few times recently.
View attachment 1846259

You have a very interesting and diverse group of watches. I am a big fan of ROs. However, even if you are on a waitlist, it could be a while. The current Overseas is a nice watch, but to me, its sort of a step down from a RO, and a bit like a place holder until you get a call for a RO. Personally, my favorite "Reasonably priced" watch that is readily available is the Cartier Santos. It's available in a variety of metals (steel, steel and gold, yg, rg, ADLC), and its a very versatile watch. I find it easy to dress up or down, and its a a classic design with some nice modern updates such as the quickswitch bracelet, it's highly antimagnetic, and it's water resistant to 100m. I also like the design of the Bvlgari OF, but I don't care for the bracelet and a few people seemed to have issues with them, at least in the beginning. Wishing you luck with whatever you decide.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Oh! Do me next. I was born in Kyiv AND I don't like Rolex!
what are yyou blabbering on so foolishily about
"do you?"
i was just kidding pulling Kappelan's leg a little bit for old times' sake even tho I don't know him and heard of him today for the first time
everbody loves a joke, all in good fun
anyway peace out
i sign off for little bit

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ime some quartz watches can be somewhat piggish when it comes to battery longevity and servicing can be a hassle , i think i'd prefer mech but have never used a winding watch , just auto and quartz

leisurewear

Reaction score
Nice. Just don’t call it a hype piece. Soft secondary market. Poor winding feel and cheap boxes. Otherwise cool watch bro.

yeah, I just like the watch. Not really a watch hardo or super knowledgeable, didn’t really buy it for the box. In fact it didn’t even come with the box, got a good price on it used. Specifically like the bracelet (edit, typo), dial and the big date at the top.

Last edited:

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads