• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I really had not thought of. Right now, I have a Speedy Pro, Explorer, PP5205, Bulgari OF, and a JLC MUT Moon. I have another dress watch on the way (mystery independent acquisition (i.e., MIA)).

To be honest, I do not believe I have the capacity to beat the hell out of a watch. I am a soft lawyerboy and I generally treat my things well. I'd say my focus is more on versatility. I still wear a sport coat most days, and something that slips underneath a cuff is darn near a necessity for me. I gravitate more to the Explorer than the Speedy for that reason.

Plus, that minty dial is pretty fresh (this is the 41mm abomination):

View attachment 1810684

Does not exist, unfortunately. But yes, much, much, much better with a fluted bezel.
Yeah, 41mm is too big for that watch.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The new ranger checks a lot of boxes: micro adjustment clasp, no rivets, decent thickness, in house movement, and a crowd pleasing 39mm diameter.

But that dial is timex level. It’s flat printed text and it kills the watch and makes it look cheap. With the recently discontinued Ranger, the numerals and markers were applied giving the dial some depth, it’s strange that Tudor would leave that out for this iteration. Also I think the numerals are just a touch too big, the dial just feels off especially with the removal of the smiley text as well.

I’m sure it’ll still sell well but from the several real world pics I’ve seen of it, it looks like a micro brand’s interpretation of an explorer, not in a good way.

I agree with some of your criticisms after taking a closer look. The numerals are a hair too big. It also feels like they could have given the dial a similar treatment as the BB Pro to add a touch of depth.

513BF4D3-E3AB-44C9-B9D8-06B5014DC5D5.jpeg

I think I’ll reserve final judgement till I see the Ranger in person.

Last edited:

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with some of your criticisms after taking a closer look. The numerals are a hair too big. It also feels like they could have given the dial a similar treatment as the BB Pro to add a touch of depth.

View attachment 1810717

I think I’ll reserve final judgement till I see the Ranger in person.
The dial needs something to make it more interesting. Applied indices would have probably been a little too close to an Explorer and inconsistent with the overall vibe that Tudor was looking for. That said, I'm surprised they did not at least go with printed numerals with some visual depth or a sandwich dial relative to the indices. Something. Maybe my opinion will change when I see more pictures, but right now I'd rather have a Railmaster than the Ranger when it comes to boring Explorer type watches as I kind of like that brushed dial with the visual depth to its numerals and indices.

Not my pictures (all are the black dial version):

1657306179033.png

1657306202655.png

1657306220264.png

Delands

Reaction score
This is something I really had not thought of. Right now, I have a Speedy Pro, Explorer, PP5205, Bulgari OF, and a JLC MUT Moon. I have another dress watch on the way (mystery independent acquisition (i.e., MIA)).

To be honest, I do not believe I have the capacity to beat the hell out of a watch. I am a soft lawyerboy and I generally treat my things well. I'd say my focus is more on versatility. I still wear a sport coat most days, and something that slips underneath a cuff is darn near a necessity for me. I gravitate more to the Explorer than the Speedy for that reason.

Plus, that minty dial is pretty fresh (this is the 41mm abomination):

View attachment 1810684

Does not exist, unfortunately. But yes, much, much, much better with a fluted bezel.
36mm is definitely the better choice. I don’t like the 5, 10… markings on the 41mm version.
Unpopular opinion, but I’m also not a fan of the jubilee bracelet. I would much prefer it on oyster.
The green dial looks really nice here. The only thing I wonder is how much of a ”trend colour” it is and whether you’ll still like it 5 years from now. Of course, assuming that it will not be a daily given the rest of your collection, it might not be that big of an issue.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The dial needs something to make it more interesting. Applied indices would have probably been a little too close to an Explorer and inconsistent with the overall vibe that Tudor was looking for. That said, I'm surprised they did not at least go with printed numerals with some visual depth or a sandwich dial relative to the indices. Something. Maybe my opinion will change when I see more pictures, but right now I'd rather have a Railmaster than the Ranger when it comes to boring Explorer type watches as I kind of like that brushed dial with the visual depth to its numerals and indices.

Not my pictures (all are the black dial version):

View attachment 1810724

View attachment 1810725

View attachment 1810726

I have always liked the Railmaster, but the "denim" texture on the dial has never worked for me.

I do want to see the Ranger in person. Sometimes pictures and specs don't tell the whole story. Case in point, everyone was freaking out about the thickness of the BB Pro when it was first announced. Once people started to get hands-on and were able to wear them for a length of time it turned out to not be that bad.

PGS

Reaction score
It has to do with the coaxial movement that Omega uses. The first generation coaxial was a modified ETA movement. Omega called it the 2500 and was the thinnest of their coaxial movements for the Seamaster. I think all 2500 movement watches came with a closed caseback.

The next generation was the 8500 and was an "in-house movement". These movements were thicker and came with an open caseback increasing the watch thickness even more.

Current generation is the 8800/8900 which are a slimmer updated version of the 8500 but still quite a bit thicker than the 8500.
I have small wrists and usually don't have much tolerance for thickness, but I own this watch and honestly haven't been bothered by its height. Up through the top of the bezel it's only around 13mm; the rest is the domed crystal. On the wrist it's worked for me.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1810619
New 70th anniversary Tudor

Sure as some mention there is some Explorer overlap, but having overlap is part of Tudor's history until more recently. Look at the old Tudor Subs or Tudor Prince Subs of the 1980s, and often the only visual difference between it and a Rolex Submariner were the hands and hour markers. The case and bracelet were the same.

I think this is a watch I'd have to see in person. Still, for a good quality, time only watch with an inhouse movement, there isn't much else I find appealing in the $3,000 range. So this watch definitely has potential. Personally, I like the Explorer and how it looks on others, but as I've said in the past, I hardly ever wore the 36mm Explorer during the 10 years I had one. I almost always chose to wear something else I owned. So I'm not sure if I bought a Tudor Ranger, it would see much wrist time, but its nice to see a good watch being offered at a more affordable price point.

Last edited:

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure as some mention there is some Explorer overlap, but having overlap is part of Tudor's history until more recently. Look at the old Tudor Subs or Tudor Prince Subs of the 1980s, and often the only visual difference between it and a Rolex Submariner were the hands and hour markers. The case and bracelet were the same.

I think this is a watch I'd have to see in person. Still, for a good quality, time only watch with an inhouse movement, there isn't much else I find appealing in the $3,000 range. So this watch definitely has potential. Personally, I like the Explorer and how it looks on others, but as I've said in the past, I hardly ever wore the 36mm Explorer during the 10 years I had one. I almost always chose to wear something else I owned. So I'm not sure if I bought a Tudor Ranger, it would see much wrist time, but its nice to a good watch being offered at a more affordable price point.

If someone is looking for an "honest" watch in the under $3,000 range, I would certainly point that person to this watch.

In-house movement built with Rolex's aid, storied brand, good accuracy, METAS certified, great bracelet, a "t-link" adjustment. Honestly, it's kind of impossible to beat.

It would have been really cool in titanium, and with the ceramic raised numerals. But beggars can't be choosers.

It is just boring. But boring is not always a bad thing.

Last edited:

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone own, or even tried on, one of these? I just got done saying I’m not buying watches but I keep looking at this. Measurements are a bit big in terms of lug to lug but I’m guessing it wears smaller.

after much deliberation, i went with the non fxd pelagos in blue, mostly because i preferred the shade of blue, which is lighter than the fxd and less navy. IMO both are solid choices and I would have been happy with either.

For reference, my wrist is 7.6 inches.
I love the FXD. I have the black dial version Ref.25600TN. IMO, it's a very reasonably priced bombproof watch. The ti case is very cool, the bracelet and its micro adjustment feature is super comfortable and fits well with the watch. My only gripe is its thickness but I wear mine mostly when around water and rarely need it to fit under a shirt cuff.

The FXD has really grown on me since its release. I love the lume on the bezel. Looks amazing in the dark. No pesky HEV and a perfectly adequate 200m WR allows it to be much thinner and [personal preference], I like the blue more than the standard blue dial Pelagos since it's darker and more subtle than the standard pelagos. I keep thinking of selling my Pelagos and picking up the FXD but it seems like too much trouble. Maybe one day.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
ID Guy tweaked the new Ranger’s design slightly in a mock-up. Small changes but they make a big difference. Tudor should hire him as a consultant. :laugh:

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads