• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vocans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The prices on the secondary market suggest otherwise:https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=moonswatch&_sacat=0 You can get used Speedy professionals for not much more, and reduced models for actually less. There is something special about this.collaboration. I don't think "accessible version of an iconic watch" adequately describes what is going on here. It that's what you wanted, you would have gotten a reduced Speedmaster years ago. Is this worth it to me? No. But clearly, there is some cultural resonance in the collaboration.

Not sure what this really proves other than scalpers gonna scalp and just because they're listed for that doesn't mean they're selling. The X factor here from any other Swatch drop is the Speedy and Omega name.

Not terribly surprising that on the very first day following the very first batch of these being released that fomo hypebeasts are going to ask insane money for them after waiting in line for the past 24 hours. Prices are going to normalize once the initial hype dies down unless Swatch keeps a tight leash on supply.

d4nimal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have to assume that just means they'll get restocked in physical stores rather than online in the US.
Honestly, it's hard to make anything of all the half-truths and rumors posted on the internet right now. I don’t even think Swatch knows what they’re doing at the moment.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I was Swatch and really wanted to turn the hype into overdrive, I would hide a real Moonwatch in 1 out of every 10,000 (or even larger number) MoonSwatch boxes and announce it online.
Willy Wonka tried this with mixed results.

Uranus is Tiffany blue.
Seek medical attention.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The prices on the secondary market suggest otherwise:https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=moonswatch&_sacat=0 You can get used Speedy professionals for not much more, and reduced models for actually less. There is something special about this.collaboration. I don't think "accessible version of an iconic watch" adequately describes what is going on here. It that's what you wanted, you would have gotten a reduced Speedmaster years ago. Is this worth it to me? No. But clearly, there is some cultural resonance in the collaboration.
I can see some Pitti Peacocks rocking the MoonSwatch instead of a PP Nautilus or vintage Rolex sports watch as an anti-elitist message. "Sure, I'm wearing a $10K bespoke suit and $2K bespoke shoes, but I'm mixing it with my MoonSwatch and beaded bracelets I bought from a Florence street vendor." Obviously Mars or Uranus so it's instantly recognizable.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have Speemaster Professionals. I think that I would rather have two Moonswatces (one to wear, one to collect) than a reduced (a few rare Japanese models excluded).

GShock and Swatch have brand value that is overlooked by a lot of people interested in mechanical watches.

Moonswatch caused me to browse Swatch’s new offerings. Memoryberries kicked in and I might buy a couple to wear for fun.

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Speemaster Professionals. I think that I would rather have two Moonswatces (one to wear, one to collect) than a reduced (a few rare Japanese models excluded).

GShock and Swatch have brand value that is overlooked by a lot of people interested in mechanical watches.

Call me sentimental, but I just think Swatch is cool. Every time I see one I usually comment on it/ask about it.

On a side note, Drakes used to have them in their shoots a few years back and I think Michael Hill wears them.

sushijerk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me a bear but I don't believe these prices are sustainable or organic. This feels like an initial crypto/token pump where demand and media hype are piggybacking off each other and every reseller is pricing to the moon because the market hasn't been established yet.

I like the watch well enough but I've never heard of any young casual consumer caring the least bit about omega.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Swatch knew that the release would generate hype, just not to this extent. They run the risk of customers turning on them if they can't deliver a watch to everyone who wants one. If I was Swatch and really wanted to turn the hype into overdrive, I would hide a real Moonwatch in 1 out of every 10,000 (or even larger number) MoonSwatch boxes and announce it online. That might lead to real violence, however.

Air King x StyleForum collaboration? I'm not a huge fan of The Crown, but I would be down for that.
The real opportunity would be to turn around, and reelase a MoonSwatch that is an actual moonwatch,but incorporates not only Moonswatch branding, but some special material that mimics the Moonswatch look or feel - I;m thinking titanium with a carbon fiber bezel. So, you have the OG Moonswatch, and then you have a Moonwatch with Moonswatch branding. Even more limited. I think that I could safely guarantee that it would go for over $25K on the secondary.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me a bear but I don't believe these prices are sustainable or organic. This feels like an initial crypto/token pump where demand and media hype are piggybacking off each other and every reseller is pricing to the moon because the market hasn't been established yet.

I like the watch well enough but I've never heard of any young casual consumer caring the least bit about omega.
I think that you are a bit right, and a bit wrong. The analogy to crypto is not really accurate because both Swatch and The Speedmaster both already have established value.

The end price will depend on future availability. Theresale value could be as low as under $250, which would be a failure for the project,and would not happen unliess Swatch oversaturates the market, or well over that of a Moonwatch, if they just don't release any more.

I would guess that if Swatch watches the secondary market, they would want to release enough such that the secondary market becomes less profitable, but still remains somewhat profitable, say, $400-450. That is what the more successful limted GShock collaborations seem to go for. It keeps the interest in the obtaining the item high, but does not make obtaining one so frustrating that people quit. Nike, probably the pioneer in the drop world, has been playing with the frequency and availability of drops, recently, becasue it started to err on the side of too limited availability and also pump out too many releases. There is no reason that Swatch can't learn this game as well.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see some Pitti Peacocks rocking the MoonSwatch instead of a PP Nautilus or vintage Rolex sports watch as an anti-elitist message. "Sure, I'm wearing a $10K bespoke suit and $2K bespoke shoes, but I'm mixing it with my MoonSwatch and beaded bracelets I bought from a Florence street vendor." Obviously Mars or Uranus so it's instantly recognizable.
$2k bespoke shoes? I wish my bespoke shoes were only $2k

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Moonswatch caused me to browse Swatch’s new offerings. Memoryberries kicked in and I might buy a couple to wear for fun.
I think that I wrote a little thing abot earned and shared media yesterday. The project has value for the brands well beyond direct sales.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Call me sentimental, but I just think Swatch is cool. Every time I see one I usually comment on it/ask about it.

On a side note, Drakes used to have them in their shoots a few years back and I think Michael Hill wears them.
I wore a black GShock Mudmaster with gold dial accents at the last Pitti that I was at, with etsy bear bears on it, since I actually do wear the thing while doing stupid stuff. I was asked about it a fair bit. I like it because it is a super rugged sports watch that uses the standard luxury color language.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics