• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is like the old days of FNB vs Manton.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have no doubt that Floyd could have easily knocked him out (even though he never was a KO artist by any means). He's got his eyes on a rematch, maybe even a sanctioned one, and to sell that people need to believe it would actually be competitive. His nickname isn't "Money" for nothing...
Having watched that fight, I couldn't imagine watching another Mayweather fight. If Mayweather could have taken Paul out, he should have. And it looked like he was trying.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m not sure I want to know which one I am.
Determine which you prefer to be and there are multiples of the other.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, don't love the date, but wow what a beauty. These retro Chronomasters are just awesome.

1623114400448.png

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that watch, although I am partial to the Chronomaster Revival Shadow. Never really been a blacked-out watch guy (tacticool, if you will), but that one is such a solid iteration. Why one would get the Tudor Blackbay ceramic over that one is anybody's guess.

@pmeis truly has an enviable watch collection, filled with very curious shapes.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something I was kind of thinking about... would anybody be interested in a watch fantasy draft? Maybe a 12-person snake draft, either pitch in $20 or don't, and then leave the vote to the rest of SF / this thread? Currently considering how we might do it (maybe over the course of a couple days), and the parameters (2020 and later?), but anybody interested?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having watched that fight, I couldn't imagine watching another Mayweather fight.
Had you ever watched one of his fights before? I didn't watch this one (I was busy watching the much more exciting and possibly bigger shitshow that was the USA-Mexico CONCACAF Nations League final), but Mayweather has always been a ruthlessly disciplined fighter, but his style is boring. Nonetheless, he has been wildly successful. Reminds me of the 2010 World Cup-winning Spain team.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Had you ever watched one of his fights before? I didn't watch this one (I was busy watching the much more exciting and possibly bigger shitshow that was the USA-Mexico CONCACAF Nations League final), but Mayweather has always been a ruthlessly disciplined fighter, but his style is boring. Nonetheless, he has been wildly successful. Reminds me of the 2010 World Cup-winning Spain team.
Mayweather? Of course. He IS a ruthlessly disciplined fighter with phenomenal technique that is fun to watch against a skilled opponent. Against Paul, or frankly anyone he is likely to fight now, there isn't really much to see. It's like watching an aging Michael Jordan beat some hackers at the Y. You aren't seeing the beauty that was/is Mayweather because his defense didn't have an occasion to rise to, and you didn't even get to see him smack some smug serial movie villain in the mouth. And, I really do think Mayweather was trying to take Paul out but couldn't. Paul was too big and strong and able to mostly keep Mayweather out or tie him out. I am pretty sure that in another four rounds Paul would have just fallen down on his own but through eight, he was strong enough to just tie Mayweather up and lean on him and Mayweather didn't have the power or speed to strike from the right range. And there were no judges, so being a disciplined fighter doesn't get you anywhere in this kind of fight unless it puts you in a position to score a knockout or, in Paul's case, prevents you from being knocked out. If you want to call it discipline (rather than desperation), you can say Paul was the more disciplined fighter.

Last edited:

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay, don't love the date, but wow what a beauty. These retro Chronomasters are just awesome.

View attachment 1621661
Speedmaster125-1.jpg

Looks a lot like, this, which I have somewhere (not my pic, though) Claimed to be the first chronometer certified automatic chronograph movement:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of Manton...saw this...

Manton chilling Tom-Wolfe style down in the Caribbean, toasting his buddy’s new Patek - or stock fantasy island pic? You decide:

B573F6D4-D2F1-4A1B-9180-363E29D09D64.jpeg

stro

Reaction score
Something I was kind of thinking about... would anybody be interested in a watch fantasy draft? Maybe a 12-person snake draft, either pitch in $20 or don't, and then leave the vote to the rest of SF / this thread? Currently considering how we might do it (maybe over the course of a couple days), and the parameters (2020 and later?), but anybody interested?
side pot for whoever's watch team would win in a standard 9 category roto league. we're going to need to invent the standard 9 categories for watches. how bout on-symmetry percentage, movement-dial-case ratio, and ummm.... most fonts

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, Lamborghini design has trended toward the much more functional and honest over the decades. Along with some successful GT racing, this has won the brand new credibility (and sales) amongst serious enthusiasts, which it sorely lacked before. You won’t see fake vents or wings on a contemporary Lamborghini. In fact, even on the worst versions of the Countach, most everything was more or less functional—just ugly and inelegant. The original Miura had terrible aerodynamics and tended to lift-off at speed, but that was because they didn’t know better at the time. As they further developed the car, they changed it to be more stable.

Porsche is one of the most faultlessly “honest” makers when it comes to design. Nobody is perfect, but non-functional performance-suggesting decorative features are all but non-existent on Porsches. When they happen, they are quite the exception.

Of course, if you don’t really know cars that well, you wouldn’t know how much the design of enthusiast-loved cars is function-driven versus purely decorative. You would just see swoopy, flashy sports cars with big scoops and bulges.
You typically completely misunderstood (i.e. typically intentionally misconstrued and re-framed for your own "argument") what I wrote.

You really do have an astoundingly inflexible mind. It is so bizarre.

Of course, if you don't know design that well, you don't know what the **** you're talking about there either....

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where can I custom order a whiskey cordovan strap for my Panerai? Any suggestions?
Mr. Lane, can you help?
Yes. Panerai straps are where I cut my teeth. I have quite a few shells, will shoot you a PM.

-DL
David Lane's reputation is excellent, and the work looks fantastic, so if he can do what you want, definitely a great choice + support a Styleforum vendor, and located in the USA.

If he cannot for some reason, then Toshi Straps, in the UK (Rich...I do not recall his last name atm) also do custom straps, with a heavy concentration on Panerai. He has a vast selection of colors, etc. I have worn some of his straps for over 10 years now; the quality is very good. Production and shipping was very fast, service completely professional.

Toshi Panerai gallery.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads