• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No worries. I appreciate your reply. It’s the sort of put down that TheFoo wishes he had the ability to do. A lot more subtle than “you’re a ******* idiot.” That’s the difference between old world Euro snobbery and new world wannabe finance tycoon. But you both take the same tact in any disagreement—“I am holier than thou.”
"The end justified the means. Now I am absolutely convinced that the means are the ends. You cannot separate a certain purpose from a certain method." - Alberto Franceschini (would have preferred a F-91W)

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
I enjoy the decision making process of watches and travel. Even before Covid, I never took more than a single watch on trips. I'll always own a beefy diver for that reason, it just works everywhere including an outdoor vacation.

I remember white water rafting in ME years ago and wearing my old Seamaster 225450 on a NATO. The guide was fascinated that anyone would wear a nice watch rafting. He was also interested in watches so we got to chatting about the benefits of a NATO over water. In addition to a nice tip (for potentially saving my wife from drowning) I sent him a handful of Nato straps and a Bergeon spring bar tool when I got home. He was saving for a Sub. Wonder if he ever got it.

Nice gesture! Spreading the watch love :inlove:

And I really do hope that he got that Sub before the stainless Rolex market went truly bonkers.

ronscuba

Reaction score
They seem very "look at me", to me at least. My parents are old (and Italian) enough that to them "Bulgari" just meant "a very well known expensive and creative jeweller on Via Condotti". But now Bulgari is trying to become Cartier, and it doesn't work. Rome at the beginning of the 21stC in not like Paris at the turn of the 20th. And so Bulgari ends up on the wrists of banksters, the Russian mob, and minor Gulf oil parasites--whereas back in the day Cartier ended up on the wrists of Santos-Dumont, assorted aristocrats, and by extension the likes of Andy Warhol. Which isn't to say that most of Cartier's current production isn't questionable as well, but then that would get us into the issue of what Richemont & co do to luxury makers, and that's a whole 'nother story.

Edit: here's another way of putting it. Even in its heyday, Bulgari wanted to make the jewels that Roman princesses would wear, but more often than not ended up making the jewels that Roman princes would give to their mistresses.

I own a Bulgari Bulgari and other watches you would probably describe as flashy/look at me. In a broad overview, I tend to see watches in 2 categories. Generic/plain or stylish. I guess you could say flashy/look at me instead of stylish.

Patek, AP, Breguet. I find Patek generally more generic/plain in comparison. I find Rolex generally generic/plain. My Santos vs my Bulgari. The Bulgari is more flashy.

We all have different tastes. I find that cool and interesting. How boring would it be if everyone had the same taste and the same brand, model of watch, clothes, shoes, etc..

Last edited:

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We all have different tastes. I find that cool and interesting. How boring would it be if everyone had the same taste and the same brand, model of watch, clothes, shoes, etc..

I don't know man.

1621617728887.png

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you were from Chicago. I'll just leave this here for you:

(Responded to that thread...thanks!)

Drek Galloche

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not a fan of homages/replicas or whatever one calls them...to me its just a fake. If I can't afford the real thing, then I'll gladly admire images of real ones in magazines or social medial. Even if made from a real Rolex, it's designed to be something it isn't, or to fool some people. I would find it the same was wearing a George Armani suit, or a kit car that is supposed to turn an old Pontiac Fiero or C4 Corvette into Lamborghini or Ferrari. Maybe some people would be fooled into believing it's the real deal, but I would always know it was fake and I would get no enjoyment from owning it.
It is a modified Rolex watch. Not a Bulova made to look like Rolex. So proper analogy would be to say I would hate to see brand new Ferrari modified to look vintage. You might feel strongly about such modification while others take consumption of mass produced goods with less devotion.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hqmilton.jpg

Yay or nay?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Same.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?