• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were they still making the 16710 in 2008? The 116710LN (GMTIIC) was introduced in 2007. Wonder if they kept making the alu bezel versions even after the advent of cerachrom? Entirely possible that the 16710 was simply purchased in 08 and made the year before or something like that.

It could be 2007...SA said 2007 or 2008 (off the top of their head, I think), but the watch comes with box/papers, so I could find out more definitively...

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do it, I like the 5-digit reference 40mm case shapes the best, the GMT is a relatively useful complication, its sporty enough to wear with shorts and a t-shirt but doesn't look out of place in a suit and tie

Well said, the GMT really is the perfect sport watch. I even swim with my 116710. Pressure test it once a year. Since I never leave the house any more, let alone my time zone, I keep the GMT hand on GMT time so I know when the F1 races start.

It could be 2007...SA said 2007 or 2008 (off the top of their head, I think), but the watch comes with box/papers, so I could find out more definitively...

That's a must buy IMO. That era Coke was always my favorite. Good luck!

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well said, the GMT really is the perfect sport watch. I even swim with my 116710. Pressure test it once a year. Since I never leave the house any more, let alone my time zone, I keep the GMT hand on GMT time so I know when the F1 races start.

Damn, I went out to buy a new speedy and might end up with a Coke instead...dammit!

officine

Reaction score
Considering a “coke” GMT (16710) circa 2008 any strong arguments against would be welcomed...
Don't do it. You will love the watch. Then you will find yourself sourcing both the Pepsi and the all black inserts. And soon thereafter, looking for the alternate bracelet (Jubilee or Oyster).

It happened to me :)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. You will love the watch. Then you will find yourself sourcing both the Pepsi and the all black inserts. And soon thereafter, looking for the alternate bracelet (Jubilee or Oyster).

It happened to me :)
Actually, my biggest hesitation is that I’m expecting a blnr from another dealer, but this watch looks and feels killer...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, I left the store. Gonna sleep on it (or maybe wait out the weekend...). If it’s meant to be, the watch will wait for me? Haha

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the insurance. My Chubb policy covers market/replacement cost even if it exceeds the purchase price of the watch.

Did you provide them with an appraisal that shows the value exceeds the MSRP? Chubb does from time to time do increases in the value of an item and you pay according to what they say it's current replacement value is. However, at least where I am if you want Chubb to cover it for say a gray market price or something beyond what they have evaluated it to be, you need to get an appraisal from a pre-owned shop/gray dealer saying that its value is X. I had to do that a few years ago with my "Patrizzi dial Daytona" that they had only evaluated at about $15,000, when values were actually more than twice that amount.

officine

Reaction score
Actually, my biggest hesitation is that I’m expecting a blnr from another dealer, but this watch looks and feels killer...
I see. Tough decision. I'm partial to the 5-digit models as they wear better for my wrist size.

Neville Southall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hot.
19373F9A-FAAF-4BA5-8A48-F96184FDF344.jpeg

ronscuba

Reaction score
Really? Any ideas as to why that is? I have been seeing Cartier mentioned a lot more frequently nowadays in watch forums..
Cartier has been advertising like crazy in the big magazines with popular current celebrities. Vogue, Elle, Harpers Bazaar, Vanity Fair, etc.. Back covers, front inside covers, multi page spreads.

ronscuba

Reaction score
I feel as though I need to ask: what is actually being argued here? It’s hard to follow
The value and quality of certain watches and brands against one another.

People can discuss or argue, but everyone has different motivations when they buy. Buying to use, collect, flip. They are different. Depending on the motivation, you might speak and post differently. A flipper might pump up a specific model or brand to increase demand.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads