• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A special post to show my solidarity with TheFoo.

My green shell cordovan wallet (made by The Warmthcrafts Manufacture in Japan) and a black dial Breguet numeral Patek (service polished, not re-cut).

Seems our tastes are more similar than one might realize. I am sure you will disagree per usual.

ABEE70C1-1E3D-4BCD-89D9-F1CEB7C74398.jpeg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
967FCE06-6D4E-4607-AC12-5D10ACD83603.jpeg
D7AFC11A-AD7F-4A06-906C-5B86809E5036.jpeg

While on Patek, my favourite casing of a PP Chrono, the 3670A. While i am not a fan of the story behind this lovely, it is the ultimate PP Chrono grail for me. Well, a any chrono grail (as generally not a fanboy).
With the 13-130 movement.
I would love the 5950 unconditionally if it were not for the silly scrolls that have brought it the nickname cowboy.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering this JLC (not my pic). I need a date window and like the brand and the movement (but not necessarily the 8 day display). Don’t need a day/night counter and not entirely sure re the asymmetrical face. Thoughts?

JLC master 8 days.jpg

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering this JLC (not my pic). I need a date window and like the brand and the movement (but not necessarily the 8 day display). Don’t need a day/night counter and not entirely sure re the asymmetrical face. Thoughts?

View attachment 1545048 .
Is that the septantieme movement? i.e. is it rectangular and pinched from the 70 eme reverso?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

it would appear that there is more you don’t like vs. what appeals to you.

What is it that appeals to you and are there other JLC offerings in the same price range?

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My green shell cordovan wallet (made by The Warmthcrafts Manufacture in Japan) and a black dial Breguet numeral Patek (service polished, not re-cut).

Seems our tastes are more similar than one might realize. I am sure you will disagree per usual.

View attachment 1545028
Not a breast wallet. Fail.

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed. My attempt at greatness, but oh so short. But idols one must have, and this is my tribute.
It does look like a nice wallet though, breastly or not. I prefer card cases that go in my front pants pocket. I'm looking at having one made by a local leatherworker, but I don't think he offers cordovan, at least not on his website.

chocomallo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does look like a nice wallet though, breastly or not. I prefer card cases that go in my front pants pocket. I'm looking at having one made by a local leatherworker, but I don't think he offers cordovan, at least not on his website.

That’s why I chose it over the breast wallet size. I carry it in my front pocket. The maker is a subsidiary of Shinki Hikaku, which I believe is the only Japanese tannery making shell.

Another Japanese company that uses the same shell with great designs is Ganzo.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it would appear that there is more you don’t like vs. what appeals to you.

What is it that appeals to you and are there other JLC offerings in the same price range?
It's a good point and perhaps I was too negative; there are quite a few things I like about it (movement, how it flies under the radar, etc.). Just not sure how I feel about the asymmetrical face and if there are other (unappealing) aspects that I missed.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1545028
I hear Hermes does a nice shade of green...

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@NakedYoga I sent you a PM. Here is my old beat up Gallet, neither polished nor re-cut. I think a hell of a dial execution minus the chomp out of the 9.
37F3E4AC-6EB7-411C-B793-DF672279FD4E.jpeg

Also, I started a vintage watch thread a while back, and we could use some new traffic. Check it out:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...90s-watches-only.660199/page-18#post-10575430

-DL

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I generally am not a fan of JLC round watches. However, I really like this one a lot. The case size is nice, it sits well on the wrist. The dimensions/porportions of the case, bezel and lugs have a modern feel (some of their old rounded cases seem too dainty to me). In addition, the case, bezel and lugs are simple enough to allow one to wear with a suit or sport coats, or jeans and a nice shirt. The movement is quite handsome and very high quality. As for the dial, I love it. if I can find any fault with the dial, I wish it had arrow shaped markers all around. Or if using Arabic numerals at 3,6,9, and 12, they could have chosen a more interesting font. However, I adore the asymmetric placement of the various subdials and functions. I think it adds a bit of excitement and charm to the watch. With a chronograph or certain types of watches symmetry makes sense or is necessary. However, wth some dials/watches symmetry just creates a very predictable almost boring appearance (kind of like seeing a boxed set of shirt, tie, suspenders/braces, and a handkerchief). I even like the day/night indicator on the one above far more than on the limited edition 8 day Master Antoine in platinum. A relative owns the limited edition, and I love everything about it except its day night indicator, and the Arabic numerals.

Below is the limited edition version, which carried and MSRP of around $28,800 when new, but ADs were selling them for $20K back in the day.
1611932117955.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads