• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LA Guy that's sick! What size? 38mm?

Thanks, and this is where you can't judge a watch by it's size. It is only 35mm, but it wears a lot bigger than say, my gold with champagne faced 101.005, which is the same sized case, and slightly thicker, and actually has longer (straight( lugs.

The 101.005, and other iterations of the 145.017. however, have a tachymetre scale on the dial. This watch was made in 1969 (production was something like 68-71), around the time Omega just made many iterations of dial for the same reference number and just generally went a bit nuts, which means that Omega has not changed at all! Anyway, all that other stuff makes the dial seem considerably smaller. The black dialed version has a super clean dial with nearly no embellishment. There are way better pictures of this version of the reference on Hodinkee: https://shop.hodinkee.com/products/...nograph-reference-145-017?variant=49866689359

I think that this watch wears as big, or maybe even a bit bigger, than the FOIS, which is 38mm, but has 3 subdials, and then a tachy on the bezel.

The lack of the 12 hour subdial makes it feel considerably slimmer than my 321 chronograph and the 861 chronographs that I've handled. It's not a dress watch, but I think that, at least for me, it hits that sweet spot between sporting and dressy as an everyday watch.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting.....I know some watches can wear larger than they are but usually by 1-2mm, however if you’re saying this would wear like the FOIS then I need to get a side-by-side pic :)

Btw, here’s my FOIS:
77E4A1C8-3FB5-426E-8280-B15253333F0A.jpeg

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s interesting.....I know some watches can wear larger than they are but usually by 1-2mm, however if you’re saying this would wear like the FOIS then I need to get a side-by-side pic :)

Btw, here’s my FOIS:
View attachment 1328431
I don’t have a FOIS to do a side by side comparison, but one friend does. He is going to find this so weird. But yeah, the FOIS is just under 40mm, right? Measure the bezel. I think that you’ll find that the dials are close to the same size.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have a FOIS to do a side by side comparison, but one friend does. He is going to find this so weird. But yeah, the FOIS is just under 40mm, right? Measure the bezel. I think that you’ll find that the dials are close to the same size.
its 39.7 actually.

Enjoy your new purchase........I'm intrigued by yours. Super-props if you ever get a chance to post a side-by-side of the two ?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
its 39.7 actually.

Enjoy your new purchase........I'm intrigued by yours. Super-props if you ever get a chance to post a side-by-side of the two ?

Thanks. I'll see if if I can do wrist shot comparisons, but I'll need to borrow a FOIS. Side-by-side without it being worn is not nearly as illustrative. My modern Speedies are all 42mm standard ones, so they look bigger, though not as much as the 20% increase in case size might indicate.

There are a ton of really interesting Omega chronographs that use the 321 and 861 movements. The 320 and 860 chronographs are somewhat harder to find, especially if you are looking for something specific. I have looked all over, and have only seen one other black dialed 145.017 on the market. Apparently, from my reading, rhere were only 10K of the 860 movement ever made, in total, all referemces and all dials, so if you see something, it might be worth jumping on.

Looking at a lot of vintage Seamasters recently, and it's somewhat surprising to me that so many them are poorly redialed, and even very reputable retailers just sell them without question, at dubiously high prices.

Last edited:

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s just fucked up.
I just read that, and it's a very strange story. The part that makes very little sense is that the alleged fraudster waited 2.5 months to send the fake watch. It doesn't make any sense in the MO. Nor does it make that much sense to make up a bunch of crazy excuses before finally sending the fake. It would have been much easier to say "He

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just read that, and it's a very strange story. The part that makes very little sense is that the alleged fraudster waited 2.5 months to send the fake watch. It doesn't make any sense in the MO. Nor does it make that much sense to make up a bunch of crazy excuses before finally sending the fake. It would have been much easier to say "He
Totally. If I didn’t have postal confirmation within 3-7 days, I’d ask for monies to be returned.
Bit of commonsense would have saved such a protracted affair. (Which does not excuse the disreputable behaviour of the dealer.)
literally: alarm bells blaring.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Totally. If I didn’t have postal confirmation within 3-7 days, I’d ask for monies to be returned.
Bit of commonsense would have saved such a protracted affair. (Which does not excuse the disreputable behaviour of the dealer.)
literally: alarm bells blaring.
Or if the guy was a known flipper, "The watch still hasn't come in from my source", can you wait for the watch?

A lot of this strikes me as the actions of a desperate man more than those of a criminal mastermind.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or if the guy was a known flipper, "The watch still hasn't come in from my source", can you wait for the watch?

A lot of this strikes me as the actions of a desperate man more than those of a criminal mastermind.
Hah!
Point taken. Still, bit of an ask to tie-up 29k for 2.5 months without clear communication as to the where-abouts of the timepiece.
Caveat emptor.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I disagree. He is a criminal.Using social media to build trustworthiness of one self and then use this trust to defraud people. This is next level staff.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads