• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That’s good info, thanks for that. I never would have expected they recommend you don’t shoot firearms with them. I guess the kick is no good for them.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green Marine.

orig.jpg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s good info, thanks for that. I never would have expected they recommend you don’t shoot firearms with them. I guess the kick is no good for them.

I mentioned already that I took a Ball watch to continuous downhill mountain biking, the kind of rocky path that shakes the watch like a martini. It needed service after 1.5 years but quite impressive as it wasn't one of their burly models but a dressy gmt.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, if you are shooting something with a lot of recoil, it could cause problems for the movements of some watches (although I've never had a problem with any Rolex after shooting while wearing one). Also, if its a watch you really care about and you are shooting a semi-automatic you might not want hot shells to potentially hit your watch as they get ejected.

Green Marine.

orig.jpg

Congrats and enjoy it. A friend of mine just picked one of those up. I like the green dial!

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The #1 killer of mechanical watches is being dropped onto a hard surface. Moisture damage also does a lot of them in. The oils eventually degrade and dry up to the point that the movement stops running, and this is another common cause of potentially-irreparable damage.

The lifespan and service requirements can depend a lot on the watch and how it's used. Fancier, more-complicated movements tend to require more frequent and costly service, and are more likely to be severely damaged if they’re treated carelessly or run to failure.

Service intervals have increased as lubricants have improved, and modern synthetic oils can often go for a decade or more without problems in most movements. Many manufacturers still recommend having them overhauled every three to five years, though — which is excessively frequent and can often cause more problems than it solves, in my opinion.

But it's always a good idea to test the seals regularly. You can also see whether the watch needs a service by checking its rate, amplitude and beat error on a timing machine, which is quick and doesn't require opening up the case.

A quality watch should be able to outlast its owner if it’s cared for half-decently. The snag is that replacement parts can be difficult or impossible to obtain for some older watches, and the cost of repair can exceed the value of the watch.

If you're looking for an older watch to wear daily, I'd stick with something simple from a reputable manufacturer that's still around. My oldest watch is an Omega from 1948 with the 30T2 movement, and it's still running beautifully — though it's very rarely worn. Provided it's in good shape to begin with, I'd trust an older Rolex to run reliably in daily use for many more decades.

Edit: Ha, looks like Dino beat me to it. :p

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The #1 killer of mechanical watches is being dropped onto a hard surface. Moisture damage also does a lot of them in. The oils eventually degrade and dry up to the point that the movement stops running, and this is another common cause of potentially-irreparable damage.

The lifespan and service requirements can depend a lot on the watch and how it's used. Fancier, more-complicated movements tend to require more frequent and costly service, and are more likely to be severely damaged if they’re treated carelessly or run to failure.

Service intervals have increased as lubricants have improved, and modern synthetic oils can often go for a decade or more without problems in most movements. Many manufacturers still recommend having them overhauled every three to five years, though — which is excessively frequent and can often cause more problems than it solves, in my opinion. But it's always a good idea to test the seals regularly. You can also the check whether the watch needs a service by checking its rate, amplitude and beat error on a timing machine, which is quick and doesn't require opening up the case.

A quality watch should be able to outlast its owner if it’s cared for half-decently. The snag is that replacement parts can be difficult or impossible to obtain for some older watches, and the cost of repair can exceed the value of the watch.

If you're looking for an older watch to wear daily, I'd stick with something simple from a reputable manufacturer that's still around. My oldest watch is an Omega from 1948 with the 30T2 movement, and it's still running beautifully — though it's very rarely worn. Provided it's in good shape to begin with, I'd trust an older Rolex to run reliably in daily use for many more decades.

I don't service my watch below 10 years. The only time I needed to put them for service below 10 years is if they become highly inaccurate or envied the smartwatch and wanted me to play Tetris

IMG-20181219-WA0015.jpg

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how is the movement on the 100th anniversary cartier louis tank?

at the moment, my plan is to get 114300 or 214270 and a tank in the next couple years and call it a day until i'm 40.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

at the moment, my plan is to get 114300 or 214270 and a tank in the next couple years and call it a day until i'm 40.

JLC movement so you're safe on that end. Just get the 114300 and forget the Explorer.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I mentioned already that I took a Ball watch to continuous downhill mountain biking, the kind of rocky path that shakes the watch like a martini. It needed service after 1.5 years but quite impressive as it wasn't one of their burly models but a dressy gmt.

Well, not to derail the thread, but martini's shouldn't be shaken either.

Medwed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had 50-60 y.o. watches work accurately and reliably with no issues. When opened for eventual service the rubber gaskets were liquid or petrified ( how long it takes for that to happen?) and yet they still worked fine. I am sure they will outlast all of us with or without service.
Too much anxiety and fetishism seem to be associated with owning a watch. They don't need to be serviced until they start malfunctioning. Juts like they don't need to be wound all the time.

Dino944

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't seen any photos of the movement in this watch or before it goes into it, and its a solid case back, but cal 8971MC is based on JLC cal 846. So its a high quality movement, just not sure how they finished it. The biggest issue with it is getting one. Since it was released I've only seen one in a boutique, and from what I understand Cartier has fallen behind in supplying these pieces (not sure if that is because they are relying on an outside source for the movements).

IIRC, someone on this forum received one as a wedding gift from his wife, and he seems to be enjoying it.

steveoffice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thanks dino and riva.

i've seen a pink gold one in chrono24 the other day; haven't called around the boutiques however.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trybiopeakenhance