• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLEFORUM MEETUP - Styleforum and Epaulet at Alfargo's Market NYC (9/27 and 9/28)

This Friday and Saturday night, please join Styleforum and Epaulet at the esteemed Alfargo's Marketplace. It will take place at the Neue House on 25th Street and Park Ave. Everyone is welcome. Check out our Alpaca Project and have beverage on us.

Details can be found here

Fok and the Styleforum Team and Epaulet.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for my 1st nice watch. I've narrowed it down to 2 of a similar price:

or

I do like a chrono and I believe Longines is a better "make" of watch?

They are both fine for your budget. It comes down to which one you like most. The Longines has a busy dial, but that’s my opinion/taste. Also, you may want to try both on as the Longines is 40mm and the Brietling is 35mm (although I’m guessing you linked the women’s version by mistake).

They both have a storied history and are both considered somewhat entry level brands now. Longines has been much improved the last few years and is owned by Swatch which owns a bunch of watch brands from low to high end.

At your budget it really just comes down to your preference as quality and materials wise there is not really much difference among the big brands at this price point.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Nomos and have two of their watches, but I'm at a loss about why there was a need to create a new caliber with two date functions:

Nomos-Tangente-2date-new-hand-wound-calibre-DUW-4601-in-house-movement-review-8.jpg

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps Longines if the ‘40s - 70s, now they are a joke.

Go the Breitling.
Ignore this idiot.

They are both fine for your budget. It comes down to which one you like most. The Longines has a busy dial, but that’s my opinion/taste. Also, you may want to try both on as the Longines is 40mm and the Brietling is 35mm (although I’m guessing you linked the women’s version by mistake).

They both have a storied history and are both considered somewhat entry level brands now. Longines has been much improved the last few years and is owned by Swatch which owns a bunch of watch brands from low to high end.

At your budget it really just comes down to your preference as quality and materials wise there is not really much difference among the big brands at this price point.

Listen to this. I would spend more time looking around. Longines has done a great job the last few years releasing new versions of watches from its archives. I'm not a fan of the one you posted but they have some great entry level choices.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pmeis

Reaction score
I like Nomos and have two of their watches, but I'm at a loss about why there was a need to create a new caliber with two date functions:

Nomos-Tangente-2date-new-hand-wound-calibre-DUW-4601-in-house-movement-review-8.jpg

As a fan of the brand, this one is beyond me as well, though I think the caliber itself only has one date function as I think it's all on the same date wheel. The peripheral date window thing is cool, but its barely legible on the 41mm versions, so I almost get why having the normal window along with it is necessary on a 37.5mm version, but that just goes to show how silly it is overall.

Bengie Vancouver

Reaction score
Ignore this idiot.

Listen to this. I would spend more time looking around. Longines has done a great job the last few years releasing new versions of watches from its archives. I'm not a fan of the one you posted but they have some great entry level choices.
What confused narrative are you sprucing?
Ignore yourself.

Bengie Vancouver

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for my 1st nice watch. I've narrowed it down to 2 of a similar price:

or

I do like a chrono and I believe Longines is a better "make" of watch?
Not a big fan of both brands.
Although the Navitimer seems a classic?
In the Longines collection, the Spirit in titanium maybe?

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kateher65