• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AndyGarton

Reaction score
I finally got myself a Speedmaster Pro, and I can't believe I waited this long - what a cracking watch. I bought the new 005 (hesalite) model, which I know some say is expensive, and partly paying for a useless box, but I got it at a very good price from a non-authorised dealer (I can live without the AD £500+ cup of tea!), and the box of goodies does add a bit to the experience. I do think this watch is good value regardless, compared to most other luxury watches anyway. I'm really pleased I went for the hesalite version - the dial is surprisingly clear as a result, although I don't really notice the often talked about "attractive" distortion (which seems about the same as a sapphire box crystal to me). It's well built and nicely finished, fits me beautifully in my opinion and is super comfortable as a result, and so far at least keeps really good time (+5 s/d).

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nothing like that first fresh Speedy. Nice choice @AndyGarton !

I particularly like that the caseback doesn't suffer from "First and Only" syndrome, as does mine.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Outstanding pics, too @AndyGarton! Congrats. You guys must click the spoiler button for some nice close-ups of this brand-new Speedy.

Thanks all!
I love it. Better than I thought it would be. I think both of the watches I have (2254.50 sword hand Seamaster and this) will be ones I keep for a very long time.

Cool! As they say on the watch boards: "Mine says "hi".

Last edited:

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally got myself a Speedmaster Pro, and I can't believe I waited this long - what a cracking watch. I bought the new 005 (hesalite) model, which I know some say is expensive, and partly paying for a useless box, but I got it at a very good price from a non-authorised dealer (I can live without the AD £500+ cup of tea!), and the box of goodies does add a bit to the experience. I do think this watch is good value regardless, compared to most other luxury watches anyway. I'm really pleased I went for the hesalite version - the dial is surprisingly clear as a result, although I don't really notice the often talked about "attractive" distortion (which seems about the same as a sapphire box crystal to me). It's well built and nicely finished, fits me beautifully in my opinion and is super comfortable as a result, and so far at least keeps really good time (+5 s/d).

You made the right decision with the hesalite. Congrats, and enjoy it!

peterpeterson

Reaction score
I like the box even more than the watch. I'm sucker for packaging and accessories.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
@BostonHedonist those gloves look sharp with the footwear and the rest of your ensemble :slayer:

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fwiw, I bought my Speedy on Jomashop. Got a great deal and had no issues. But I can't say I would ever make use of their warranty. I look at the gray market discount as a sort of "early AD service Russian Roulette."

Yeah, if you're saving enough that would cover say one service or more then it's not a bad idea. Also it's good to note the length of the warranty on what you're getting as they vary. My FOIS only has a two year warranty where as say a Seamaster 300m Master Coaxial has I believe a four year warranty. The alternative would be grey dealers with a slightly used watch but still under warranty or if you shop around enough and depending on the piece an actual new watch.

Congratulations and some cracking shots! Despite just getting the FOIS, part of me still wouldn't mind a Speedy Pro. With what you can get it for on the grey market it strikes me as one best value pieces out there and at just north of $3k on the grey market it could be the best value under $5k.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new piece today from eBay. It's a 35mm longines conquest heritage. Silver dial and plexiglass. I think I got a good deal, never worn with warranty card stamped from
1f1e6-1f1fa.png
AD. And 40% off retail.
Not sure if I can pull it off on my 6.25" wrist size. Will post pictures when it arrives.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new piece today from eBay. It's a 35mm longines conquest heritage. Silver dial and plexiglass. I think I got a good deal, never worn with warranty card stamped from
1f1e6-1f1fa.png
AD. And 40% off retail.
Not sure if I can pull it off on my 6.25cm wrist size. Will post pictures when it arrives.

(I think that you mean 6.25", rather than cm.)

Congratulations on the new watch - which colour-way did you get? I really like the style and I think that it's a lovely, classic watch.

I know that you like bigger watches, but I think that a smaller watch will suit your smaller wrist really well. My wrist is a full inch bigger than yours but I really don't like watches over 38mm unless it's something like a Casio G-Shock. Of course, it's very much a personal preference, but I think that larger dress watches tend to look a bit silly, especially on smaller wrists.

Last edited:

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

(I think that you mean 6.25", rather than cm.)

Congratulations on the new watch - which colour-way did you get? I really like the style and I think that it's a lovely, classic watch. 

I know that you like bigger watches, but I think that a smaller watch will suit your smaller wrist really well. My wrist is a full inch bigger than yours but I really don't like watches over 38mm unless it's something like a Casio G-Shock. Of course, it's very much a personal preference, but I think that larger dress watches tend to look a bit silly, especially on smaller wrists. 

Thanks JM - I bought the silver dial. I thought the piece was really warm looking and priced quite reasonably.

Belligero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sub with date is under $5k now?

With some patience, a decent 16610 can still be had within a $5K budget on the private secondary market.

They also tend to go for a bit less than normal if they're covered in BBQ paint, like the example pictured. ;)

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads