• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. From everything i've seen, they'll cut the outsole after it's been stitched to attach the steel plate. I didn't want to get into a debate with him on it so i just moved on.

Likewise.

However I do notice he seems to carry toe plate in similar thickness, the depth of the leather you can cut in on each pair of shoes is different (depending on how deep the welt is), it could be possible that he cannot do it better due to the thickness of the toe plate.

Kwaker

Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn’t bother with the cost of steel toe tap if I was going to Topy the entire sole. The Topy itself is good enough to protect the tip.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone head to the Mississauga Harry Rosen outlet yet today? Wonder if there is anything good worth grabbing.

CutandSew

Reaction score
Are there any watch lovers here in TO that can recommend a good place/person that services and repairs vintage mechanical watches? I received an old Omega Seamaster DeVille from my grandfather that needs servicing and could use a good polish/cleaning too. I thought about sending it to Omega directly, however I want to avoid spending more than the actual value of the watch.

Additionally, I'm also looking to buy my first stainless steel "luxury" watch - maybe Rolex, Tudor, Grand Seiko, JLC, Omega or Cartier. Do you have any recommendations for authorized dealers who are great to deal with and possibly even willing to provide a bit of a discount?

Thanks!

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are there any watch lovers here in TO that can recommend a good place/person that services and repairs vintage mechanical watches? I received an old Omega Seamaster DeVille from my grandfather that needs servicing and could use a good polish/cleaning too. I thought about sending it to Omega directly, however I want to avoid spending more than the actual value of the watch.

Additionally, I'm also looking to buy my first stainless steel "luxury" watch - maybe Rolex, Tudor, Grand Seiko, JLC, Omega or Cartier. Do you have any recommendations for authorized dealers who are great to deal with and possibly even willing to provide a bit of a discount?

Thanks!

Zero experience, but Darlour Watch in St David’s should be able to help out that vintage Omega.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
I only have a Omega PO 8500 from like 5 years ago, but my experience then was that you can negotiate with most stores. Not sure if you can get a discount with Rolex, but Omega for sure. Most stores were giving 15% at the time, i literally just asked what they can do for price after trying the watch on. The amount of discount seems to follow the level of the brand. Never got anything higher than 15% for Omega, lesser brands have seen up to 20-25%.
I recently looked at a Tudor at FCP and the employee offered discount without me asking. Cant' remember the exact number but there's more wiggle room to what they offered.

Thanks!

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks!

I have never used this guy, but he's in my old neighbourhood, and always seems busy. Last time I asked, he was charging $150 to clean and re-tune a mechanical watch (I'm not sure of the right terms or the work that is done).

http://littleshoppeofhorology.ca/about-us/our-partners

http://littleshoppeofhorology.ca/services/watch-repair

Seems to be a certified repair shop for many reputable brands.

I also inherited an Omega from my late father, so I will give this shop a try eventually.

Would love to know if others have a recommended shop for this kind of work.

For stainless steel automatic watches, I really like Seiko 5 series and have several. Also have a Seiko Kinetic. Solar watches are on the horizon as well. I know they're not in the same league, but maybe worth considering.

CutandSew

Reaction score
I just stopped by the new Harry Rosen outlet at Heartland a few minutes ago and I’m sad to say that there’s nothing too exciting there even with the extra 20% off. A few Belstaff and Boglioli jackets caught my eye along with a pair of Santoni shoes because they seemed to be priced well. I also thought long and hard about a nice Tom Ford suit, but it was still $3k with the discount. Lots of Corneliani and Canali sports jackets in 40R & 42R for Spring/Summer but they’re about $700 even with the discount applied.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just stopped by the new Harry Rosen outlet at Heartland a few minutes ago and I’m sad to say that there’s nothing too exciting there even with the extra 20% off. A few Belstaff and Boglioli jackets caught my eye along with a pair of Santoni shoes because they seemed to be priced well. I also thought long and hard about a nice Tom Ford suit, but it was still $3k with the discount. Lots of Corneliani and Canali sports jackets in 40R & 42R for Spring/Summer but they’re about $700 even with the discount applied.

I was there as well. Definitely nothing special in terms of prices. I grabbed 4 pairs of shoe trees for 4 incoming footwear.

Was it just me, or did they cut back on their casual section?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads