• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

linds_15

Reaction score
Anybody going to the EG trunk show?

On a separate note, ordered a few things from The Rake in the UK, and they use DHL.

No duties or brokerage fees on some items that came out to less than $20.

For a pair of shoes that cost $301 CAD, got dinged for about $57. That's not bad, but seems slightly high. HST would be about $39, so can't explain the $18 (brokerage?). Either way, not complaining.

Stopped by the EG trunk show over lunch, nice guy, great help with sizing and last advice.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did not know they were husband and wife. I've gone in a few times just to look at the Dover and had great conversations with the husband. Never asked to try on b/c i wasn't ready to buy but yes, very friendly and didn't feel pressured at all. Guess i feel liek there's added pressure since EG is there and it's a trunk show

Now that you know that there is no pressure, now is the optimal time to go if you can spare the time, because the Edward Green rep is available.

Also: if you have or receive any Oxford gift cards (Square One, Yorkdale Mall), Robert Jones accepts them (at least, last time I asked).

I'm saving mine for an EG shoe down the road, unless I change my mind and get something from Inis Meian instead.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Blackwatch sample sale:
DEAR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
DATES FOR OUR CHRISTMAS SAMPLE SALE
12TH DECEMBER 9AM TO 7PM
13TH DECEMBER 9AM TO 7PM
354 DAVENPORT ROAD (CORNER OF DAVENPORT AND DUPONT) G2
WE ARE DOING OUR LAST SAMPLE SALE OF THE YEAR COME AND GET YOUR CHRISTMAS SAVINGS.
LOTS OF NEW STOCK ADDED
ALL GOODS 80% OFF RETAIL
0909 TAILORING MADE IN ITALY SUITS $999 NOW $300 JACKETS $799 NOW $200. COATS $699 NOW $140
VALSTAR LEATHER AND SUEDE OUTERWEARWAS $1750 NOW $350
JOHN SMEDLEY KNITWEAR $325 NOW $60
ORLEBAR BROWN. SWIM SHORTS $265 NOW $60 , POLOS FROM $250 TO $60. T SHIRTS $125 TO $30
ALTEA. , JACKETS $898 NOW $180. KNITWEAR $380 DOWN TO $80
HANDVAERK.T SHIRTS , SWEATSHIRTS , POLO SHIRTS ALL 80% OFF
INCOTEX TROUSERS $495 NOW $100
ESEMPLARE COATS AT $798 NOW AT $160
ORDEAN SHIRTS$235 NOW $50
ORIAN SHIRTS$295 NOW $60
GARDEUR TROUSER$198 NOW $40

Thanks!

NoNameNecessary

Reaction score
Blackwatch sample sale:
DEAR FRIENDS AND FAMILY
DATES FOR OUR CHRISTMAS SAMPLE SALE
12TH DECEMBER 9AM TO 7PM
13TH DECEMBER 9AM TO 7PM
354 DAVENPORT ROAD (CORNER OF DAVENPORT AND DUPONT) G2
WE ARE DOING OUR LAST SAMPLE SALE OF THE YEAR COME AND GET YOUR CHRISTMAS SAVINGS.
LOTS OF NEW STOCK ADDED
ALL GOODS 80% OFF RETAIL
0909 TAILORING MADE IN ITALY SUITS $999 NOW $300 JACKETS $799 NOW $200. COATS $699 NOW $140
VALSTAR LEATHER AND SUEDE OUTERWEARWAS $1750 NOW $350
JOHN SMEDLEY KNITWEAR $325 NOW $60
ORLEBAR BROWN. SWIM SHORTS $265 NOW $60 , POLOS FROM $250 TO $60. T SHIRTS $125 TO $30
ALTEA. , JACKETS $898 NOW $180. KNITWEAR $380 DOWN TO $80
HANDVAERK.T SHIRTS , SWEATSHIRTS , POLO SHIRTS ALL 80% OFF
INCOTEX TROUSERS $495 NOW $100
ESEMPLARE COATS AT $798 NOW AT $160
ORDEAN SHIRTS$235 NOW $50
ORIAN SHIRTS$295 NOW $60
GARDEUR TROUSER$198 NOW $40
I remember it’s no HST for cash purchase right?

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody going to the EG trunk show?

On a separate note, ordered a few things from The Rake in the UK, and they use DHL.

No duties or brokerage fees on some items that came out to less than $20.

For a pair of shoes that cost $301 CAD, got dinged for about $57. That's not bad, but seems slightly high. HST would be about $39, so can't explain the $18 (brokerage?). Either way, not complaining.
I brokeraged my own package with DHL a few times. If you're close to the airport and it's pretty easy to do

djdanniedee

Reaction score
It's not guaranteed, still hit or miss whether you get dinged by taxes. With CP from Skoak, for me it's been about 90% clear of customs, and the 10% where i've gotten hit. Last time i got hit for Enzos, i was able to send in the form to get my duties reimbursed.

Someone mentioned here that sending by Canada Post helps with duties and taxes with Skoaktiebolaget. Can you please confirm?

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone interested in a Smedley medium crewneck sweater in snow white color? Though it is a medium, it fits like a small and is the reason why I am selling it. I only tried it on and took it off as it does not fit me. Unfortunately I took the tags off. Willing to meet up or ship it free of any shipping cost.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just learnt of an Alden dealer in Hamilton called Newman’s so I called them to see what’s up. They have one special make up, a cognac calf monk strap; and some shell - “a brogue boot” and a “tall cap toe boot” in color 8 and black; and no widths other than D.

But most notably, they have a sale going on right now... I think everything in the store is 15% off. They also carry Drake’s, Ring Jacket and more.

D163611E-FEC6-4891-A14C-39615580FCD4.png

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got dinged with 13% taxes and 18% duties on Vass Chukka boot shipped from NY. I thought products made in EU ( Vass from Budapest) is this case is not subjected to duties?

penarce

Reaction score
Got dinged with 13% taxes and 18% duties on Vass Chukka boot shipped from NY. I thought products made in EU ( Vass from Budapest) is this case is not subjected to duties?

I had that happen with a pair Aldens I ordered from the US. I requested a refund of the duties from CBSA, which I subsequently received. Just clarify that the shoes were made in Hungary, which is an EU country, and therefore goods produced there fall under CETA. My take is that CBSA errs on the side of charging duties and leaves it to the recipient of the item to challenge it if they charge them where they shouldn't.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had that happen with a pair Aldens I ordered from the US. I requested a refund of the duties from CBSA, which I subsequently received. Just clarify that the shoes were made in Hungary, which is an EU country, and therefore goods produced there fall under CETA. My take is that CBSA errs on the side of charging duties and leaves it to the recipient of the item to challenge it if they charge them where they shouldn't.
Thank you

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads