• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anybody have experience stretching out a pair of sneakers and knows of a place to get it done? I have a pair of Epaulet cuoro cromo sneakers in Size 7.5 that I'm hoping to stretch a half size to accommodate what I suspect is a high instep on my left foot.

I prefer to have it done in Toronto or Mississauga, but other cities and towns are okay (Oakville, Brampton, Markham, etc.) so long as they don't take an hour to get to by car.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Truth be told I bought a pos stretcher from Amazon. Successfully stretched museaum calf epaulet sneakers mostly pinky/4th toes on my 1 foot.

It’s not rocket science, and you’ll have a hard time wrecking them. You can rub conditioner on the inside of the shoe. Also helps if the shoes are warm. Steam a towel over a kettle and wrap the shoe in it for a bit. Or leave them in the blistering sun for a few hrs then stretch.

stylemeup

Reaction score
I had been seeing Antonio from Antonio's Tailor Shop as my tailor for years, based on his approvals from this forum. Now his shop has moved to a new location in Yorkville. And when I went to visit it, Antonio wasn't there. Instead, a new guy was there who I believe said his name was James. He claimed that Antonio has retired, and he is now the tailor there.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? Who is James? Why is he running Antonio's former shop? Is he as good as Antonio? Are his prices the same as Antonio, meaning relatively cheap? Can any of you vouch for James' work? Should I trust James with my tailoring or is it time to find a new tailor shop? If the latter, then which other tailors in Toronto are forum-approved?

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had been seeing Antonio from Antonio's Tailor Shop as my tailor for years, based on his approvals from this forum. Now his shop has moved to a new location in Yorkville. And when I went to visit it, Antonio wasn't there. Instead, a new guy was there who I believe said his name was James. He claimed that Antonio has retired, and he is now the tailor there.

Can anyone explain what is going on here? Who is James? Why is he running Antonio's former shop? Is he as good as Antonio? Are his prices the same as Antonio, meaning relatively cheap? Can any of you vouch for James' work? Should I trust James with my tailoring or is it time to find a new tailor shop? If the latter, then which other tailors in Toronto are forum-approved?
the only one who can really explain what's going on is your boy Antonio - have you asked him??

hrv123

Reaction score
I used to get my stuff done there as well, but last couple of times I went, Antonio wasn't there and I'm not sure if he is coming back. I last went toward the end of summer-fall. Someone else was working there, not sure if his name was James. He was Middle-Eastern, not sure if that's the same guy you're referring to. I noticed that one of the old seamstresses was there. The work was done well, but the jacket was fitted too aggressively for my taste. Antonio previously would alter with some drape at my request, but this new guy preferred a tight fit. The prices also seemed higher. If you happen to know what happened to Antonio, I'd love to know. He was the best tailor in the area I've dealt with and it would be a shame if he wasn't doing it any more.

On a side note, anyone know what's going on with Francesco Sr. now that Leatherfoot seems to have closed down? Is he still working? If so, have his prices returned to at least semi-reasonability? Wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but not at all interested in the crazy prices LF was charging.

djdanniedee

Reaction score
Mind giving me a link to the stretcher you got? Have you ever tried it on a pair of leather shoes? I have some shoes where it's tight around my pinky and 4th toe and i'd like to try to stretch them out before resorting to selling them.
When you say conditioner, you mean like saphir renovateur? I've heard of people recommending this special solution that's for stretching as well.

Truth be told I bought a pos stretcher from Amazon. Successfully stretched museaum calf epaulet sneakers mostly pinky/4th toes on my 1 foot.

It’s not rocket science, and you’ll have a hard time wrecking them. You can rub conditioner on the inside of the shoe. Also helps if the shoes are warm. Steam a towel over a kettle and wrap the shoe in it for a bit. Or leave them in the blistering sun for a few hrs then stretch.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mind giving me a link to the stretcher you got? Have you ever tried it on a pair of leather shoes? I have some shoes where it's tight around my pinky and 4th toe and i'd like to try to stretch them out before resorting to selling them.
When you say conditioner, you mean like saphir renovateur? I've heard of people recommending this special solution that's for stretching as well.

Looks like this. But without the toe attachments.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B01F1...stretchers&dpPl=1&dpID=41ag+AW1j7L&ref=plSrch

Honestly it’s a *************, but I just wanted toe room and figure it was easy enough to do.
Not sure in terms of conditioner what the special mixture is. Anything to soften it will allow the stretch to be easier. That’s why I say heat it up, carefully of course.
Also stretched my Viberg cxl enough to make them comfy. Cxl stretches pretty easily though.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I used to get my stuff done there as well, but last couple of times I went, Antonio wasn't there and I'm not sure if he is coming back. I last went toward the end of summer-fall. Someone else was working there, not sure if his name was James. He was Middle-Eastern, not sure if that's the same guy you're referring to. I noticed that one of the old seamstresses was there. The work was done well, but the jacket was fitted too aggressively for my taste. Antonio previously would alter with some drape at my request, but this new guy preferred a tight fit. The prices also seemed higher. If you happen to know what happened to Antonio, I'd love to know. He was the best tailor in the area I've dealt with and it would be a shame if he wasn't doing it any more.

On a side note, anyone know what's going on with Francesco Sr. now that Leatherfoot seems to have closed down? Is he still working? If so, have his prices returned to at least semi-reasonability? Wouldn't mind giving him a shot, but not at all interested in the crazy prices LF was charging.

Would you mind let me know how much does Antonio charge?

rwtc

Reaction score
Wonder how long the line is.... I’ll go take a look after work, but I don’t think anything good would be left

Mojomojo

Reaction score
Hermes Sale: Men's line isn't too long, maybe 1 1/2 hour wait now... Women's is crazy long, probably closer to 4-5 hours wait. They keep restocking/pulling stuff out so you might get lucky; everything's 50% off their online price. Some items don't have much stock, so once it's gone its gone.

Ties: $120 (lots of printed ones)
Pocket square: $120 (very few in general)
Belt Buckles: ~$250 (most of the "H" buckles are gone)
Leather Belt: ~$200/$250 (limited sizing)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads