• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I think I’ve narrowed it down to Quick Cobbler and Bay Bloor. Will pop in to Bay Bloor next time I’m downtown before deciding.

I have used Bay Bloor for recraft and just topying.

They are the go to place for Dack's, and Ivor Woolridge. Fair prices (125 for their house brand sole, and 150 for JR sole) and quick turnaround.

whirlwynds

Reaction score
I have used Bay Bloor for recraft and just topying.

They are the go to place for Dack's, and Ivor Woolridge. Fair prices (125 for their house brand sole, and 150 for JR sole) and quick turnaround.
very cool. Any photos of your Bay Bloor recrafts?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very cool. Any photos of your Bay Bloor recrafts?

Topy work:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/toronto-cobblers.239806/page-5

Recraft:
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/toronto-cobblers.239806/page-6

You can see from the recraft pics, the shoes' original condition was rough (bought them used). That said, Alphonse at Bay Bloor did a fantastic job of bringing them back.

I should note that the famed B Nelson in NYC charges 160 US for JR recraft. Alphonse charged 150.

Quick Cobbler which I also reviewed charged 139.

Laurent Halimi in Montreal charges 250 which included return shipping.

There will always be varying prices. What it's worth, is up to buyer. I recommend all 3 of the ones I reviewed.

I recently sent a pair of Church's back to their factory for recraft. I will review their work.

Also have a pair of Alden's that I am considering their factory, or an American cobbler like B Nelson in NYC or Bedos in Virginia.

I will not try to convince anyone here why one should spend money on recraft as opposed to buying a new pair. I enjoy keeping shoes, and having them for many years.

Good luck, and post pics! Also, consider asking the guys in the cobbler pages above.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, has anyone had success getting a refund on duties from Mr Porter on the basis of CETA?

Nope. The whole yoox group is useless on duty and doesn’t recognize CETA.
I couldn’t even get it back on items I returns to yoox. Govt, yoox, and ups all gave me the run around. Gave up and let 250$ evaporate.

MR P at least refunds duty when you return stuff. Although they charged me duty on Canadian made vibergs and insistent they were made in the uk. I returned them anyways.

Kind of sick of the whole yoox group and their negligence on the whole issue.
Time to hire a consultant, could use it as easy marketing campaign for months to come.

“Duty free shipping on CETA goods”

rwtc

Reaction score
Select Kiton & Edward Green dress shoes 50% off at Robert Jones @ $750 pre-tax for either brand. There were also Kiton sneakers but didn't pay much attention to them. Note that the Kiton was blake welted. The EG seemed to be mostly MTO orders. Not many pairs left and more suede than calf. Saw sizes 9.5UK to 11.5UK with different widths.

Last edited:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't even get me started about eBay's Global Shipping Program. Some sellers will remove the option from their listing but the last seller I asked didn't even reply to my message.

The GSP is one of the worst additions on eBay. And eBay refuses to remove it altogether; an absolute scam. I've simply left buying anything on eBay and switched over to Grailed. Classic attire isn't the mainstay of Grailed, but there's no GSP involved.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The GSP is one of the worst additions on eBay. And eBay refuses to remove it altogether; an absolute scam. I've simply left buying anything on eBay and switched over to Grailed. Classic attire isn't the mainstay of Grailed, but there's no GSP involved.

It’s definitely not good for Canadians. It would be good if it actually charged the correct duties and taxes but I have no idea how they calculate it.

I haven’t used Grailed for buying or selling in a while. I liked it better before they started taking a cut but I guess it was inevitable.

Select Kiton & Edward Green dress shoes 50% off at Robert Jones @ $750 pre-tax for either brand. There were also Kiton sneakers but didn't pay much attention to them. Note that the Kiton was blake welted. The EG seemed to be mostly MTO orders. Not many pairs left and more suede than calf. Saw sizes 9.5UK to 11.5UK with different widths.

Good thing there were no EG in 8.5UK. I don’t need that temptation right now!

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, Grailed was better before their fees. But the fees are the same as what eBay/PayPal take.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update at Toronto premium outlet:

Saks:
RLPL blazers/scs in cashmere, cashmere-silk, and moleskin. Various sizes, from 599-1000.

Pic of the 599 jackets (95% cash/5% silk):
8B10F15C-FAE9-4DE2-A000-4A45766FCC92.jpeg

702D3082-E81D-42E0-AAA1-94F9F1B99FEC.jpeg

7-fold Isaia ties for $71. Slim pickings put pics of the patterns:

0841E03A-6BB5-49C8-B6A8-70C9419635E0.jpeg

6B18B843-EA4F-4746-A903-6A7F0EFABB17.jpeg

Brooks Brothers:
Mainline climacool suits for $153
Mainline 100% camel hair sports coats for $153
Mainline 100% cashmere sports coats for $270

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Saks:
RLPL blazers/scs in cashmere, cashmere-silk, and moleskin. Various sizes, from 599-1000.

View attachment 902157

Thanks for posting this. The ties are a good price.

The RLPL items are the rebranded RLBL. Not a bad price, but not amazing either. I hope Saks eventually brings in the handmade RLPL to Canada.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Saks:

View attachment 902157

View attachment 902158
7-fold Isaia ties for $71. Slim pickings put pics of the patterns:

View attachment 902159

View attachment 902160

Brooks Brothers:
Mainline climacool suits for $153
Mainline 100% camel hair sports coats for $153
Mainline 100% cashmere sports coats for $270

Would have loved to see a photo of the camel hair SC. Do you recall the sizes they had in stock?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads