• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whirlwynds

Reaction score
sure, but AE is only $125USD, about $160CAD. 13% tax on top = $180CAD. I don't think you're going to find a cheaper re-sole that uses goodyear welting AND re-lasts and re-corks the shoe.

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sure, but AE is only $125USD, about $160CAD. 13% tax on top = $180CAD. I don't think you're going to find a cheaper re-sole that uses goodyear welting AND re-lasts and re-corks the shoe.

You have to pay 2-way shipping for AE's re-crafting from Canada. Could just buy a new pair off of ebay/buy & sell for that price.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for goodyear welt resoling in the GTA? Nothing fancy, just 4 or 5 pairs of AEs that need new soles + heels. Seems like everywhere in the city just glues on new soles though.

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/toronto-cobblers.239806/page-3

I like Bay and Bloor Shoe repair for my recrafting. He did a pair and it was excellent. He is the go to guy for Dacks and Ivor Woolridge.

I also did reviews on Quick Cobbler and Laurent Halimi who are in Vancouver and Montreal.

Allen Dreadmon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where do you guys go to get your haircut in Toronto? I was thinking of getting a John Allen membership, but not sure if it's worth it.

I've been going to Madison Skye for three years now. I believe she has just moved to Bellwoods Barbers
Anyone have any recommendations for goodyear welt resoling in the GTA? Nothing fancy, just 4 or 5 pairs of AEs that need new soles + heels. Seems like everywhere in the city just glues on new soles though.

I've used Nick's on Dupont for re-heeling. Their work is very good. I've never had to resole a pair of shoes yet.

Spex

Reaction score

I've used Novelty a couple of times and they seem ok. I think it was about $140 all in to resole each of my pairs of AEs. I'm not sure about the quality of the soles they use though, since one of the pairs developed a hole after about a year, although I do walk to work every day and wear that pair often.

Where do you guys go to get your haircut in Toronto? I was thinking of getting a John Allen membership, but not sure if it's worth it.

I go to one of the locations of Maverick Studios and have my hair cut by Joseph (I think he's the owner/manager). Been going for over 4 years.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have to pay 2-way shipping for AE's re-crafting from Canada. Could just buy a new pair off of ebay/buy & sell for that price.

This kind of sums it up. Buy new then. If the re craft is that close to a new pair then it’s not even a question in my opinion, the last thing I’d want to do is go 150-200 deep into a local recraft that won’t be satisfactory. Nothing on here is a glowing review they are satisfied with

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I seldom get my hair cut in Toronto, but the last two times have been at a family friend's salon in Chinatown Centre (Spadina, south of Dundas) and N15 on Bay, north of College.

Otherwise, I get my hair cut in Mississauga, at a woman's basement salon.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get my haircut done in Chinatown. $10 after tip. This trend of hipster barbershops charging at minimum $23 before tip has to stop.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I go to Taylor and Colt. It's really dependent on who you get, some people are great and some are just okay.

Another place I go to sometimes is Town Barber, at Dundas and Ossington, but I prefer to go somewhere that will wash my hair when they're done, so I don't have hair all over my clothes. Especially in the winter with sweaters, etc. I'll probably go there in the summer time.

One day I was in North York for a work event, and decided to see if there was a barbershop around. I walked into a place that promised "traditional old-fashioned haircuts" complete with photos of scissors, and where there was a guy with a buzzer working on someones hair. I asked how much for a cut, and was told $40 lol. I promptly left.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$40?! Insane.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This kind of sums it up. Buy new then. If the re craft is that close to a new pair then it’s not even a question in my opinion, the last thing I’d want to do is go 150-200 deep into a local recraft that won’t be satisfactory. Nothing on here is a glowing review they are satisfied with

Did you see my review of Laurent Halimi from Montreal?

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! I think I’ve narrowed it down to Quick Cobbler and Bay Bloor. Will pop in to Bay Bloor next time I’m downtown before deciding.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads