• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

akoustas

Reaction score
I will respectfully direct everyone's attention to @KaleidoscopicK post he knows his stuff ;) admittedly my experience is limited

CloudLi

Reaction score
Anyone can recommend a cobbler who can apply topys at a reasonable price? Preferably in north york area

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's go to white sneaker for summer? To wear with jeans, Chino's, shorts etc..

I have a pair of tretorn and believe it or not they are the most comfortable sneaker I've ever had. But alas they're too damn small.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Epaulet, CP or a bunch of people now getting on the Zespa train.
On the cheap Stan Smith or Chucks in white leather.

Hate canvas shoes myself.

If you wait for the EP restock he may run a 15% code for a day or 2.

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep I have Epaulet all white tennis high top sneakers. Unfortunately they're a half size too small.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is everyone's go to white sneaker for summer? To wear with jeans, Chino's, shorts etc..

I have a pair of tretorn and believe it or not they are the most comfortable sneaker I've ever had. But alas they're too damn small.

Do you want something more minimalist, or are you okay with some design on them? What's your budget?

- Greats is a good sneaker, and not too expensive. You can find them at the Yorkdale Nordstroms. (I don't remember seeing them in Eaton Centre.)
- TCG is another good sneaker brand, and minimalistic like Greats. The only places that stock them are Park & Province and maybe Nordstroms.
- While not everybody likes them, I'm fond of Asics' Onitsuka Tiger label. Some are minimalistic, others have design on them. grooovy is your store for that brand.
- Epaulet is never a bad choice, either. My Size 7.5 tennis trainers have held up well but they're a half size too small as well because my left foot measures at 7.75.
- National Standard is another good choice. getOutside may still have some styles on sale.
- Zespa works too, especially if you can find them on sale. Club Monaco and Holt Renfrew carry the brand.
- For minimalist sneakers on the higher end, I'd go with Lanvin or Common Projects.

With all of this stuff, it depends on how you put yourself together.

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
Sully Wong is a pretty cool brand from Toronto. The only drawback for some may be that they use synthetics, but it's pretty good stuff and doesn't affect appearance or breathability.

Kent Wang usually has a sneaker lineup as well

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Epaulet, CP or a bunch of people now getting on the Zespa train.
On the cheap Stan Smith or Chucks in white leather.

Hate canvas shoes myself.

If you wait for the EP restock he may run a 15% code for a day or 2.

Are these all sold at Holy Renfrew?

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these all sold at Holy Renfrew?

Holt Renfrew will have adidas and Zespa. You should be able to find adidas Stan Smiths in places like Foot Locker as well..

Common Projects are at a few different boutiques (Haven, Nomad, Serpentine, gravitypope) as well as one of the Nordstroms (don't remember which one, I think it's Yorkdale).

Epaulet would be through their own website. They're a retailer in the United States.

Converse can be found at several locations - in boutiques (Haven, getOutside) and in malls.

Last edited:

akoustas

Reaction score
To be honest common projects were OK at 300 bud 450 to 500 now is a joke. Far better options as @KaleidoscopicK pointed out. Heck you may as well go for MMM for a touch more

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most on here might not like it but I like the Nike Roshe 2.

You can customize to any color you want through nike.ca (ie. White sneaker with white swoosh so it doesnt stick out). I've been able to do the live chat on the website asking for a promo code and they've given me 20% off codes.

Free returns and they cover return shipping costs.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Some solid rec's there.

Was going to say for basic cheap canvass Chucks, Vans, Keds, Supergas, Purcells
For basic athletic type there's Nike and New Balance
For minimal leather, the usual suspects like from lower end like Stan Smith and seriously check out the basic black/white Luca Del Forte at Browns for $125 on sale, see if Noble Sole is doing anything this season, to mid range like Zespa (Club Monaco maybe?), and check out Davids and Gravity Pope for National Standard on sale
to higher end like Common Projects (overpriced at retail), Margiela
Then there's the more fashion house offerings like Lanvin, D&G, Paul Smith, etc.

Personally I get one beater canvas pair and one mid range clean sleek leather pair. Current setup is:
Chucks

Luca Del Forte:

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads