• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bartolo

Reaction score

Having lived in Boston myself for a number of years, I would say that prices in Toronto are generally much worse than in the US. Note that we also have a 13% sales tax that applies to all goods, regardless of value, where I believe you pay no tax on clothing items up to $175. Also, the selection here is far worse, I would say.  Your strong dollar may make some things a better deal, though. You'd really have to do the math. Did you have specific things in mind?

We have a great city otherwise! Please do visit! :)  

Thanks for the response! This was spurred by a discussion with a friend who said he does his Tom Ford suit shopping in Vancouver (when he visits family in Seattle) and benefits from the exchange rate. I was thinking pretty much only about higher-end suits (Isaia, Brioni, Tom Ford and the like).

dappercanadian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the response! This was spurred by a discussion with a friend who said he does his Tom Ford suit shopping in Vancouver (when he visits family in Seattle) and benefits from the exchange rate. I was thinking pretty much only about higher-end suits (Isaia, Brioni, Tom Ford and the like).
Definitely check out the HR Outlet in Mississauga then. It's hit or miss, but I've seen Isaia and Cucinelli suits there for 2k CAD/1500 USD

akoustas

Reaction score
Why would you send a tourist out to Mississauga? Come on guys....

Honestly, even with the dollar you're probably only going to end up slightly ahead. Come visit and have fun, but I wouldn't recommend it as a shopping trip.

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Come visit and have fun, but I wouldn't recommend it as a shopping trip.

This. Consider it a trip with a wide cultural experience, good food in a safe city. If you end up finding a few things for a bargain great, but certainly don't come for those reasons alone.

akoustas

Reaction score
@CanadaCal you're absolutely right. Boston is a fantastic city and Toronto would offer a very different cultural experience that I would argue is unrivaled in North America (save New York but it's more dispersed).

akoustas

Reaction score
On another note they're clearing out Isaia at Saks. I kopped a Blazer for 70% off with a $150 gift certificate bonus (got me a tie). I think they're only there another week. A few smaller and larger sizes left for suits and sports coats.

I'm not usually a OTR guy but they make impeccable stuff

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On another note they're clearing out Isaia at Saks. I kopped a Blazer for 70% off with a $150 gift certificate bonus (got me a tie). I think they're only there another week. A few smaller and larger sizes left for suits and sports coats. 

What's the damage like at 70% off?

akoustas

Reaction score
With alterations about 1600 for a jacket or a suit. I think my jacket was a pricier one so possibly less.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Didn't see this posted yet, so.... 

SAVE20 for 20% off Leatherfoot or instore.  

Till how long?

Folks, I actually have a $678 Leatherfoot gift card as I had to return a pair that didn't fit me for store credit. I can sell it for $600. That's a considerable savings plus if there is 20% off right now...

PM if you want it.

yusufhar

Reaction score

Thanks for the info, is this the Sherway Saks or Downtown one?

akoustas

Reaction score
Downtown. Carl helped me out, did his best to put together a nice deal. See if you can find him he's infinitely better than some of the other guys

Last edited:

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Downtown. Carl helped me out, did his best to put together a nice deal. See if you can find him he's infinitely better than some of the other guys

I'm curious as to who these "other guys" are. Do you have their names?

I know most of the sales reps in the Men's department at Saks very well. I'd go with 2-3 other sales reps before him if you're looking for a suit. Admittedly, my opinion is a bit skewed given my past engagements with him - he is a capable sales rep.

I'd recommend:

- Jorge (Very kind and pleasant, does not pressure you into anything you don't want.)
- Sandra (based in the designer section but has extensive suiting knowledge having worked at Sydney's for years, and anybody who shops there knows that their customer service is top notch.)
- Mikhail (If you wish to buy discounted Isaia, he's your guy - he's the Isaia rep for the department. You can expect genuine honesty from him: if you don't look good in something, he will tell you.)

I've briefly written about it here in the past but if anybody wishes for further elaboration, feel free to PM me.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads