• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mebiuspower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But Garrison Bespoke is also made in China. Nothing wrong with garments made in China. Micheal has made a fortune here with Garrison so called bespoke.

And rumor has it cucinelli just signed a contract for Chinese manufacturer Kutesmart.

Not a fan of neither of these.

partenopean

Reaction score
The cost of producing in China is increasing, any very soon it won't be justifiable for any of these brands. They will either shift to Made in Vietnam or Made in Mexico or Made in D.R., or simply make in Italy with aggressive marketing promoting that.

The world is changing, friends. China is no longer a cheap factory for US/EU brands. It's not about politics or Uyghurs or Taiwan or climate change. It's about cost and only cost.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of neither of these.

The cost of producing in China is increasing, any very soon it won't be justifiable for any of these brands. They will either shift to Made in Vietnam or Made in Mexico or Made in D.R., or simply make in Italy with aggressive marketing promoting that.

The world is changing, friends. China is no longer a cheap factory for US/EU brands. It's not about politics or Uyghurs or Taiwan or climate change. It's about cost and only cost.
With BC price tag??? What are you saying 1000% is what they are aiming for?

I get my clothes made in China. Nothing wrong with that but BC pricing and then made in China?

Please elaborate on this cost/ price tag= absurd margins.

partenopean

Reaction score
Wait...what?!
Who said anything about Brunello CUcinelli? That was back in March(?), wwhen that guy was ripping up BC suits from the early 2000s and posting pics and misinformation...

I was talking about Ralph Lauren manufacturing in China. Also Garrison, and Indochino, etc etc.

You should move to China.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait...what?!
Who said anything about Brunello CUcinelli? That was back in March(?), wwhen that guy was ripping up BC suits from the early 2000s and posting pics and misinformation...

I was talking about Ralph Lauren manufacturing in China. Also Garrison, and Indochino, etc etc.

You should move to China.
I’d rather move to Russia!

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Download Taobao (Chinese Ebay, in a way), do some quick search. I don't disagree that the manufacturing cost in China is increasing, but I am pretty sure it's still a fraction of the tag price.

I just came back from China and had a full run with the Double Eleven Sale Season.

partenopean

Reaction score
Download Taobao (Chinese Ebay, in a way), do some quick search. I don't disagree that the manufacturing cost in China is increasing, but I am pretty sure it's still a fraction of the tag price.

I just came back from China and had a full run with the Double Eleven Sale Season.

I have a friend from high school who has been living and working in Hangzhou for the past 11 years. I visited her and her husband this past month, and travelled around Shanghai, Beijing,...the upmarket places. I can't afford jack **** there! Every Savile Row brand has a flagship store, where they treated me like dirt because they could just smell I had no money! The doors are kept barred like a Israeli jail holding Hamas prisoners....a man in a suit, I can't tell if it's security, a salesman, or the manager, who invariably speaks Hong Kong English, opens the door, examines you, and then decides whether to let you in or not. Usually the excuse is, our salespeople are too busy to help you now, despite there being no one else in the store! GO figure. At least they are not saying I need a 200 weeks of continuous records of negative PCR tests to be let in!

My point is -- with rising affluence even among the middle class in China, the pool of labor is shrinking exponentially, and they are demanding more pay, making cheap manufacturing practically impossible like during the early 2000s. That' why US retailers like Macy's have nothing in stock!

I disagree with things being cheaper in China.

That said, I don't know how, but I was signed up for email spam for the CHinese singes-day specials and I am getting offers for luxury suits at 80% off, dinners at top restaurants at steep discounts, so you can save in China!

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So you are claiming manufacturing cost increased in china because you cannot afford those savile row brands?
They ain’t made in china, right?
I have a friend from high school who has been living and working in Hangzhou for the past 11 years. I visited her and her husband this past month, and travelled around Shanghai, Beijing,...the upmarket places. I can't afford jack **** there! Every Savile Row brand has a flagship store, where they treated me like dirt because they could just smell I had no money! The doors are kept barred like a Israeli jail holding Hamas prisoners....a man in a suit, I can't tell if it's security, a salesman, or the manager, who invariably speaks Hong Kong English, opens the door, examines you, and then decides whether to let you in or not. Usually the excuse is, our salespeople are too busy to help you now, despite there being no one else in the store! GO figure. At least they are not saying I need a 200 weeks of continuous records of negative PCR tests to be let in!

My point is -- with rising affluence even among the middle class in China, the pool of labor is shrinking exponentially, and they are demanding more pay, making cheap manufacturing practically impossible like during the early 2000s. That' why US retailers like Macy's have nothing in stock!

I disagree with things being cheaper in China.

That said, I don't know how, but I was signed up for email spam for the CHinese singes-day specials and I am getting offers for luxury suits at 80% off, dinners at top restaurants at steep discounts, so you can save in China!

partenopean

Reaction score
I am saying that things cost the same here as in China, be it a washing machine of the same quality, a smartphone of the same quality, or an SLR camera of the same quality.

the same things are not somehow "cheaper in China".
If the cost of living is rapidly nearing parity with here, salaries for factory labor will follow suit, if not practically there already.

Yes it you can eat cheaper, but your health is you own business.

If you have no insurance here, the cost for Rifaximin (or the equivalent Xifaxan) is the same here as in China.

There are people from countries like Germany and Netherlands, who get a government "pension" when they hit 60. They took that money to live comfortably, if not like kings, doing nothing in China. Nominally "teaching english". Now there is no way in hell they can do that. Most have gone back home, or moved to Vietnam or Indonesia. In China that money won't last them 3 days of rent, bills, food.

Last edited:

partenopean

Reaction score
Also, most of the stuff at the luxury boutiques of Euro brands in China, are found only in China, and in other megarich places like Saudi, Dubai, etc.
I would imagine they don't even stock them in the Milano or Paris flagships.
For luxury, China is a different universe.

I was just saying that whereas in London, they have the common courtesy to treat you like a human (hence all the members of this forum that go to these stores to admire the stuff and try them on), they are not so indulging in China. It is a heartless soulless world of money and only money. And possibly rank within the People's Party. If you have money you are a god. If not, they don't let you into the boutiques. It's not London or Milano for tourists to go waltzing in....

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Work is done and it was great. Turned around two chain stitch hems and tapering same day. He’s at Dovercourt and Queen.

What did he charge?

Reaction score
Went for a hem with cuff alteration and this is what I got today. :(
IMG_0592.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads