• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SFA_CA

Reaction score
I tried to get duty/taxes on a pair of incorrectly sized EG that I returned. Had to mail the receipt, shipping documents and everything, 4 months later they mailed me back saying they refused the duty/tax refund saying I had insufficient proof. It's pure BS & money grab.
Similar experience here. Ordered from The Armoury (paid duties), returned said items. Applied for the refund - a good 3-4 months later it is denied.

What happens is DHL (or whoever the carrier is) acts as your broker, so DHL is the one who should be submitting the refund on your behalf and afterwards remitting the funds back to you.. now good luck calling DHL explaining this to them. After numerous calls and letters I gave up.

The agent at CBSA did admit this is known issue but no one cares to rectify it.

Your best bet is honestly absolutely ensuring what you order you don’t expect to return.

induere_to

Reaction score
We had a little gathering yesterday for a little over half of the members of the Toronto Tailors Association.

9FB2324D-6172-4775-9181-911663CF162C.jpeg

7E69C721-3AB9-4472-9C90-DCE589DBB63A.jpeg

3A6F88E2-542D-48DA-9096-DA1160F2090C.jpeg

EAD29CB4-F16E-454D-B3C9-89D086AEB76B.jpeg

Not as luxurious as one may presume. We ate three XL pizzas, watched the movie The Outfit, did a group fitting session and shared a lot of industry gossip.

117113A8-BEDD-485B-B1C4-0C71E9395795.jpeg

54ED3D85-BA71-437E-8E12-E4B0A770168B.jpeg

For those that haven’t seen it, I highly recommend the movie The Outfit. They consider it a Thriller-Crime, but I never recall much of the plot.

The actor that portrays the protagonist, apprenticed at Huntsman for a year prior to the role and the movie exhibits a pretty accurate day-in-the-life-of perspective of the latter-day tailor. There’s commentary and glimpses into the work showed that impress many tailors.

DC0DA5FB-C953-4960-BB74-A998C5EA1EF3.jpeg

0CFC73F3-9316-4E9D-B4A7-C50314799960.jpeg

FADC5440-1F65-4998-ABE6-C7AFECC6AF21.jpeg

4A260F57-4322-4D3A-8AFF-771E85084EC9.jpeg

Believe it or not, the gossip contributes just as much to the group as does methodology brainstorming. Tailoring is a small industry, and getting to know the stories of other cliques that participate is one way that helps us all feel involved. Sebastian spent time relearning the craft on Savile Row, and has come to know many of the people that are constantly talked about on the Ongoing Bespoke Thread; he spent some time earning a living as a sales associate where he became really good friends with guys like Michael Browne.

Winston Diamond attended the Maurice Sedwell school in Trinidad and is involved in his vast group of alumni.

Me, I’m a schmuck that travels to Italy thrice a year to have coffee with and dine in the homes of some of these guys I’ve been talking to on social media for ten years. My wife finds it ironic that as anti-social as I say I may be, I’ve now dragged her to breakfasts and lunches around the world with people I once idolized.

52159ECF-9445-494E-B327-67A64C373BA0.jpeg

Overall, it was a pleasant meeting. Hopefully it makes everyone realize how easy it is to plan these get-togethers and we can start planning them more frequently.

We’ve been in the talks of hosting a public event, most likely sometime in Autumn. A meet-and-greet of sorts open to anyone curious to see what the Association is up to and where we plan to exhibit our diverse aesthetics.

I’ll keep those interested in the loop as these plans progress in more concrete detail.

———

If anyone has any experience in event planning, feel free to reach out. We need all the help we can get.

Simon Chambers

Reaction score
We had a little gathering yesterday for a little over half of the members of the Toronto Tailors Association.

View attachment 1980289

View attachment 1980285

View attachment 1980291

View attachment 1980287

Not as luxurious as one may presume. We ate three XL pizzas, watched the movie The Outfit, did a group fitting session and shared a lot of industry gossip.

View attachment 1980295

View attachment 1980293

For those that haven’t seen it, I highly recommend the movie The Outfit. They consider it a Thriller-Crime, but I never recall much of the plot.

The actor that portrays the protagonist, apprenticed at Huntsman for a year prior to the role and the movie exhibits a pretty accurate day-in-the-life-of perspective of the latter-day tailor. There’s commentary and glimpses into the work showed that impress many tailors.

View attachment 1980297

View attachment 1980305

View attachment 1980299

View attachment 1980301

Believe it or not, the gossip contributes just as much to the group as does methodology brainstorming. Tailoring is a small industry, and getting to know the stories of other cliques that participate is one way that helps us all feel involved. Sebastian spent time relearning the craft on Savile Row, and has come to know many of the people that are constantly talked about on the Ongoing Bespoke Thread; he spent some time earning a living as a sales associate where he became really good friends with guys like Michael Browne.

Winston Diamond attended the Maurice Sedwell school in Trinidad and is involved in his vast group of alumni.

Me, I’m a schmuck that travels to Italy thrice a year to have coffee with and dine in the homes of some of these guys I’ve been talking to on social media for ten years. My wife finds it ironic that as anti-social as I say I may be, I’ve now dragged her to breakfasts and lunches around the world with people I once idolized.

View attachment 1980303

Overall, it was a pleasant meeting. Hopefully it makes everyone realize how easy it is to plan these get-togethers and we can start planning them more frequently.

We’ve been in the talks of hosting a public event, most likely sometime in Autumn. A meet-and-greet of sorts open to anyone curious to see what the Association is up to and where we plan to exhibit our diverse aesthetics.

I’ll keep those interested in the loop as these plans progress in more concrete detail.

———

If anyone has any experience in event planning, feel free to reach out. We need all the help we can get.
Thanks for sharing this! I'm really glad there's a group of you who are able to meet together and share in community and skills sharing :). Definitely interested in a public event if I'm in the country when it happens!

KWang94

Reaction score

View attachment 1980289

View attachment 1980285

View attachment 1980291

View attachment 1980287

View attachment 1980295

View attachment 1980293

View attachment 1980297

View attachment 1980305

View attachment 1980299

View attachment 1980301

View attachment 1980303

———

You already know I'm always happy to help out (however I can).

hysteria

Reaction score
You can use a re-shipping service, like ReShip. You can have the UK package shipped to the UK re-ship address; you then set the declared value yourself and have the re-shipper send you the package. You have to pay the shipping from the re-shipper and their fee. But if you set the declared value low, you usually save significantly on the duties. Though it requires you to be comfortable with setting the declared value low. Happy to send my referral code (we each get a $10 credit).

I recently pulled the trigger on Luxire since so many people seem to have a good exp with them. I figured if I can nail my meaurements, they can be my go-to MTO shop. However, my first two items just got shipped last week, combined value of $250, and the duties on it was $90!!!!

Items ship from India, and sadly, Luxire will not declare any other value for the items even thoguh they don't come w/ tags.

Seems like I can no longer shpo from there, or I might have to resort to a Re-ship type service if I'm getting multiple orders done at the same time.

REally annoyed about this

Spaghettimatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently pulled the trigger on Luxire since so many people seem to have a good exp with them. I figured if I can nail my meaurements, they can be my go-to MTO shop. However, my first two items just got shipped last week, combined value of $250, and the duties on it was $90!!!!

Items ship from India, and sadly, Luxire will not declare any other value for the items even thoguh they don't come w/ tags.

Seems like I can no longer shpo from there, or I might have to resort to a Re-ship type service if I'm getting multiple orders done at the same time.

Drive to Buffalo.

capua

Reaction score
What are people generally paying for duties/taxes from Cavour? Maybe I'll use one of these re ship services.

I'd be happy to save the duties/taxes but even happier not to give any money to our border racketeers.

KaleidoscopicK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Having a USA address via Cross Border Pickups and Shippsy would be handy in situations like this. The USA's import threshold for packages is $800 USD: even though you'd still have to pay HST, the fee to use their service and NY state tax (if applicable), you'd still come out ahead assuming you're not buying small items. And you'd only have to drive to Mississauga instead of Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY to pick up your package(s).

Another perk is that you'll now qualify for free US returns/exchanges (if stores you shop from offer that) by using CBP to ship your package back. (Shippsy doesn't offer shipping for return packages.)

Last edited:

capua

Reaction score
Having a USA address via Cross Border Pickups and Shippsy would be handy in situations like this. The USA's import threshold for packages is $800 USD: even though you'd still have to pay HST, the fee to use their service and NY state tax (if applicable), you'd still come out ahead assuming you're not buying small items. And you'd only have to drive to Mississauga instead of Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY to pick up your package(s).

Another perk is that you'll now qualify for free US returns/exchanges (if stores you shop from offer that) by using CBR to ship your package back. (Shippsy doesn't offer shipping for return packages.)
This is amazing info. Thank you

hysteria

Reaction score

Another perk is that you'll now qualify for free US returns/exchanges (if stores you shop from offer that) by using CBR to ship your package back. (Shippsy doesn't offer shipping for return packages.)

Very helpful.

I have another question for the group here.

I just got a shipment from Luxire via FedEx. FedEx sent me a text saying I owe $90 in duties but when I click on the llink, I just get an error. Surprisingly, the package was dropped off at my building and I see a pink customs and duties receipt for the $90. But...I haven't paid anything. When I go to fedex.ca/dutyandtax and enter the tracking to see if there's an option to pay, I just see that hte item is delivered with no prompt/option to pay the fee.

I'm happy to not pay it lol, but just wondering how to make sense of this. Usually, UPS or DHL will not even deliver until you pay. I dont' want to find out 3 mo from now that I'm supposed to find some magical backdoor to pay this fee, and now FedEx is charging me late fees for it.

Anyone have dealt with this in the past?

Simon Chambers

Reaction score

I had a similar experience with Luxire. My duties were close to 50% of the value. Same thing with an order from Justin Fitzpatrick from New York- a $330 pair of shoes with over $167 in duties owing. From now on I'm just visiting Justin in his shop when I go to NYC. And Luxire I will only order keeping in mind the extra 50% I have to pay for it. I'm not interested in driving to Buffalo every time I pick up an order. :(

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads