• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^but 99.9% of people can't tell...
That may be true, but 100Hands, which is exemplary in many ways, has its factories in India, and their MTM prices are really very reasonable for the amount and level of handiwork that they provide.

Re. 100Hands, I have some of those garments, as does my wife - we had they taken in Florence at their show room - I'm on good terms with the owners, and we visit every time we are in the same city - and garments made shortly before the pandemic started, and our measurements are on file with them. Their garments are sold in the best retailers in the world, and some of the people who own some of the best stores in the world swear by their MTM shirts and wear them nearly exclusively. Their prices, for nearly entirely handmade garments, start at just about $350 USD, depending on their fabrics.

I don't think that Larimars is proposing the same level of garment, but if they are providing a level of finish that is commensurate with drop in price compared to 100Hands, I would be personally pretty satisfied. We'll likely send a third party reviewer to get one of their shirts,

N1h1l1ty

Reaction score
Hey there guys - hoping for a lead on a Toronto (or hell, GTA-based) alterations tailor that has some experience with accommodating trousers for bowed legs. So far have tried a couple of mom & pop shops and have been met with disappointment and more disappointment. Not exactly expecting stellar results but half of them looked at me funny when I mentioned opening up the leg seams and adjusting inseam/outseam (or anything in this post https://www.styleforum.net/threads/cant-quite-get-this-right-pants-with-bow-legs.524953/post-8485826)

induere_to

Reaction score
Hey there guys - hoping for a lead on a Toronto (or hell, GTA-based) alterations tailor that has some experience with accommodating trousers for bowed legs. So far have tried a couple of mom & pop shops and have been met with disappointment and more disappointment. Not exactly expecting stellar results but half of them looked at me funny when I mentioned opening up the leg seams and adjusting inseam/outseam (or anything in this post https://www.styleforum.net/threads/cant-quite-get-this-right-pants-with-bow-legs.524953/post-8485826)

The only tailors that can fix trousers for bowed legs, or the opposite “pigeon-toed” legs, is going to be a bespoke tailor that understands pattern-making (which Toronto options are lacking). Most alteration places don’t even know how to press trousers properly. Also, no professional enjoys having a customer suggest they know how to do their job better; if they can’t do it, don’t give them your business.

Additionally, the only way this alteration can be done is if there is plenty of ease within the seams… which ready-to-wear and most made-to-measure companies do not accommodate for. For this reason, it’s always best getting the issue taken care of before leaving the shop where the trousers were purchased.

5DA481B0-6F4B-40AF-B94E-96B7993A6652.jpeg

42DFC8CB-3EB9-4B41-B0B5-613827B701BE.jpeg

Some examples and pictures of your fit issues would be helpful.

Jaggery

Reaction score
Hi there,

In case this is of interest, I just listed two pairs of size 41.5 shoes that haven't been getting wear in the B&S section. One is a wingtip derby and the other is a quarter brogue oxford. They both run large enough that they might fit a size 42. Would be convenient to do a handoff in downtown TO--feel free to reach out if you think they have a place in your rotation.

N1h1l1ty

Reaction score
Honestly, I think my largest disappointment has been that it took a fair bit of research and digging on my part to figure out some of my fit issues rather than having at least some of them pointed out to me by at least one person across the number of shops I've tried so far. Certainly some if not most of that is my fault. Its also especially ironic given my career in an IT role that requires me to do copious amounts of research and depend on crowdsourced information for solutions to complex problems - I could have started with more online research (or just by joining this site) and saved quite a bit of money and time along the way, but I digress.

The only tailors that can fix trousers for bowed legs, or the opposite “pigeon-toed” legs, is going to be a bespoke tailor that understands pattern-making (which Toronto options are lacking). Most alteration places don’t even know how to press trousers properly. Also, no professional enjoys having a customer suggest they know how to do their job better; if they can’t do it, don’t give them your business.

Additionally, the only way this alteration can be done is if there is plenty of ease within the seams… which ready-to-wear and most made-to-measure companies do not accommodate for. For this reason, it’s always best getting the issue taken care of before leaving the shop where the trousers were purchased.

Some examples and pictures of your fit issues would be helpful.

I appreciate the blunt honesty (Non sequitur but have been following you on Insta for a while before even jumping on this site, so its a pleasure) and advice - I've definitely come to understand that its best to ask some probing questions with some alterations places, and if I don't like the answers, to just walk out. Saves me time and money and them an unhappy customer.

As far as some pictures go, here are a few that are hopefully a bit illustrative (I'll apologize for the poor lighting and terrible angles ahead of time, made a janky tripod of sorts for these):

1662354162131.png

1662354180784.png

1662354196961.png

1662354212868.png

These are from Spier and Mackay in a lighter tropical wool in Contemporary cut, though the seat has had a bit of work and I've had them tapered from below the calf down (At the time I felt this was necessary because of how much the outseam was flaring out, but understand the cause of much better now).

Here is another pair from Spier that are a heavier donegal wool in Slim (These need a bit of work in the seat):

1662354548064.png

1662354573025.png

1662354650423.png

Will throw in one more set - also Spier, also contemporary fit, and also tapered below the calf - these are a bit heavier than the tropicals (and also need some work in the seat / crotch):

1662355261836.png

1662355301415.png

1662355341192.png

EDIT: Also found it really funny a Russian tailoring book got thrown up for examples - I'm from Lviv so I can actually read all of that ;)

Duff_Man

Reaction score

I often get very particular and challenging alterations done by Daniel Custom Tailor in the Yorkdale area and Moda by Francesco at Bathurst and Wilson. Both have lots of experience with Bespoke and pattern-making. They are not as expensive as the Yorkville area tailors.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I often get very particular and challenging alterations done by Daniel Custom Tailor in the Yorkdale area and Moda by Francesco at Bathurst and Wilson. Both have lots of experience with Bespoke and pattern-making. They are not as expensive as the Yorkville area tailors.
Yorkville area tailors? Can you please elaborate.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads