• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

simondg

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with have something rewoven in T.O.? I have a suit that needs work on one of its sleeves.

Do we have a good reweaver in town, or is this strictly a send away kind of thing?

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I noticed them. 

Is it just me, or do they have a long toe box? I don't like creasing on the box...

I would wait until people post more pics and reviews. They look good but I'm not going to pay $500 for a shoe. Ship it to someone in the USA if you know your size then have them ship it over here with no duty.

I've done this so many times with AE. You just save a few bucks but unlike the internet I'm not a baller

Edit. How do people feel about loding shoes?

Last edited:

CanadaCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would wait until people post more pics and reviews. They look good but I'm not going to pay $500 for a shoe. Ship it to someone in the USA if you know your size then have them ship it over here with no duty.

I've done this so many times with AE. You just save a few bucks but unlike the internet I'm not a baller

US price on them is 350$ or 490$ CAD. You're not saving anything.

Now for Bonafe you'd save about 200$

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
Why do you think that if someone from US shipped you a brand new pair of shoes you would not get hit with duties ? What you could do is ship it to aome one in Quebec and only pay GST, thus screw Ontario out of their portion of HST

CutandSew

Reaction score

Anyone have any experience with have something rewoven in T.O.? I have a suit that needs work on one of its sleeves.

Do we have a good reweaver in town, or is this strictly a send away kind of thing?

I've read good things about Cheeseworth's Invisible Mending over on Mount Pleasant, but I have no first hand experience. They were mentioned in some new articles either in the Toronto Star or Toronto Life a few years ago. It might be worth checking out if they're still around.

CutandSew

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered clothing from Europe - from the UK, or Italy specifically? I'm thinking about ordering a leather jacket from retailers located in either country and my shipping choices are FedEx from the UK retailer (although I might be able to convince them to use OCS or Royal Mail instead), or UPS Express from the Italian retailer. The jacket is the same brand and cost at either store ($1000 CDN) so it comes down to the courier company that they'll use. Any thoughts?

Picking FedEx or UPS is like getting shot or poisoned. It's going to be bad either way.

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Has anyone here ordered clothing from Europe - from the UK, or Italy specifically? I'm thinking about ordering a leather jacket from retailers located in either country and my shipping choices are FedEx from the UK retailer (although I might be able to convince them to use OCS or Royal Mail instead), or UPS Express from the Italian retailer. The jacket is the same brand and cost at either store ($1000 CDN) so it comes down to the courier company that they'll use. Any thoughts?

Picking FedEx or UPS is like getting shot or poisoned. It's going to be bad either way.

Here is my experience, although it is few cases, so statistically insignificant.

I once ordered some knits from John Smedley, they sent via DHL, I paid a lot for duties, tax and handling. Was really painful.
Recently bought a Corneliani suit from UK retailer on huge discount (go figure :) ), he sent with Royal Mail with free shipping, it was delivered by Canada Post to my door, no additional cost.
Another jacket from US seller (Belvest, so made in Italy), through USPS/CanPost, only HST charged...

So, if they can send by national Post service, it will go through Canada Post, which is less likely to carry additional cost, but ni guarantees.

Deoraby

Reaction score
too bad these arent 9.5UK otherwise i would totally kop them

They are actually 10.5 UK (Carmina sizes in UK) and were down to $400 in the sale at leatherfoot today ...their website prices rarely reflect their snap sales.

I went in today and they had a couple of pairs of J fitzpatrick, some Rider boots, some St Crispins and five or six pairs of carmina in the 60% off, last pairs, sale....even though it was like Siberia in yorkville today there were three customers in Leatherfoot when i was there...busier than i have ever seen it before.

I thought the Fitzpatricks were good looking shoes (Blue suede, around UK10.5 and they had another pair of brogues in a smaller size)...but very very light. ~$250 though.
The Rider boots were ~$450 lots of larger sizes (11+)
I didn't look at the Crispins...thats too rich for my blood but the Carminas were where the best deals were.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you think that if someone from US shipped you a brand new pair of shoes you would not get hit with duties ? What you could do is ship it to aome one in Quebec and only pay GST, thus screw Ontario out of their portion of HST

I';ve done this many times. :)

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
Ask a retailer to put a lower value on the customs declaration, let's say their cost not retail price. Whichever vendor agrees gonwith them, the alternative could be HST, plus duty up to 18% plus handling fees,plus HST on handling fee, easily all totaling 30%.

There are many vendors that ship stuff to Canada with the duties prepaid, you should inquire and you might be pleasantly surprised

MTLinStyle

Reaction score
Thanks. I am aware that Carmina is using UK sizing and I did mention that I am 9.5UK . unfortunately my size is rarely on sales. The last time I saw my size on sale was when ShoeMart was liquidating all their Carmina stock.

They are actually 10.5 UK (Carmina sizes in UK) and were down to $400 in the sale at leatherfoot today ...their website prices rarely reflect their snap sales.

I went in today and they had a couple of pairs of J fitzpatrick, some Rider boots, some St Crispins and five or six pairs of carmina in the 60% off, last pairs, sale....even though it was like Siberia in yorkville today there were three customers in Leatherfoot when i was there...busier than i have ever seen it before.

I thought the Fitzpatricks were good looking shoes (Blue suede, around UK10.5 and they had another pair of brogues in a smaller size)...but very very light. ~$250 though.
I didn't look at the Crispins...thats too rich for my blood but the Carminas were where the best deals were.

ADub

Reaction score

I've looked at the Fitzpatricks too and the sole is very well done with channeled stitching. For $250 I'd say that's a good deal for the quality. The St Crispin's and JL last pairs are a good deal if you are shopping in that price range, especially for St Crispin's. Agreed that the Carminas represent the best deal, especially in shell.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics