• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That was a ****** weekend to be in Portland.

YUP. Touched down on Thursday morning, went to grab a coffee at Barista and the snow began. Then I started hearing that everything was going to start closing up early. There goes one day out the window! I was not prepared at all. Had to re-wear my Buzz Rickson MA-1 all weekend because it was the only thing that could stand up to the cold.
Didn't get to go to as many spots as I wanted to. The weekend wasn't a complete wash though - the highlights for me were Holdfast, Pine Street Market (in the morning...it was pretty empty) for Pollo Bravo & Shalom Y'All, brunch at Han Oak, and Imperial. Wasn't the biggest fan of Basilisk's fried chicken. Nike Employee Store was a shitshow. Caught the Blazers game at Century Bar - gotta say that is a pretty great set up for watching a game! Although I was warned not to go otherwise.

Also, Saturday night at Dig A Pony was pretty fun - white girls were giving this brown guy a lot of love, ha (dating apps were blowing up too - I kinda sorta want to move to Portland for a bit)

tomenugen

Reaction score

(dating apps were blowing up too - I kinda sorta want to move to Portland for a bit)

YOU got into NES? I've been here for 3 years and still can't find an in.

Glad you salvaged the trip. Portland really is an ideal destination for an extended weekend.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
NES on weekends , or near holidays is next level slammed. Non holiday period weekdays, and not over lunch break are best.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need to try that spot, i went to la sirenita next door and was pretty disappointed. Still trying to find a goto taqueria in the alberta/33rd area. Santo domingo on 42/killinsworth has been doing the job and they have some solid chilaquiles/breakfast burritos, but Im sure im missing something in the area.

Last edited:

dixonmanor

Reaction score
Yeah, people's love for La Sirenita has always been a bit mystifying to me. Try La Bonita next time yr up there... It's been a few years since I've eaten there, but I remember them having good chilaquiles. Another old favorite was El Burrito Loco off Denver on Portland Blvd (Rosa Parks Way now, right?). Have no idea if they're even still open (been probably 15 years since I've eaten there), but they used to have killer pastrami tacos and quesadillas.

tomenugen

Reaction score
Anyone need a swoosh ES pass?

Any good new eats?

I want to hit up Spitz for some donerkebab.
i doooo! i took it last time though so i'll defer. if no one wants it, i'll take it.

new eats (probably old eats to most folks):
MEC - tasting menu, left happy and satisfied, but prefer toro bravo's
nodoguro - everything tasted great. does the quality reflect the price and effort to get tickets? probably not.
nuestra cocina - damn.
afuri - i tried one of their foo-foo options when i should've tried the yuzu. will have to return.
marukin - their tonkotsu ramen might be my favorite in the city. so simple.
tastebud - their mega margherita can rival ken's.

my new station is located in the SE so i'll probably do a lot more discovering there.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got you tom.

I wasnt to impressed with afuri, to fussy and the noodles were odd.
Really enjoying the spot at uwajimaya in the beav. Favorite ramen in town, the noodles are incredible. You can also buy them to go.

tomenugen

Reaction score
I got you tom.

I wasnt to impressed with afuri, to fussy and the noodles were odd.
Really enjoying the spot at uwajimaya in the beav. Favorite ramen in town, the noodles are incredible. You can also buy them to go.

I'll have to give Ryoma a try. I really like marukin and kizuki. I wish more places offered tsukemon. I felt the same way about afuri and then heard they were opening a second chain in Portland, so I thought it must've been me. Now that the weather's finally changing, ramen might have to take a backseat!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads