• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Ultimate Portland (OR) Shopping Thread

kixslf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to drop you a line and let you know we'll be having our Grand Opening party on Saturday from 5-9pm with all sorts of specials, including a Tellason Trunk show, the return of the prize wheel, 10% off everything all day, and drink specials at The Wayback, our new bar and patio spot inside Tanner Goods Portland.

Hope to see you there!

knathaniel

Reaction score
How far are you willing to go? There's great eating on Division. The American Local is pretty new and I really enjoyed it, but it's up near 30th (and up around some other great places, like Ava Gene's, Bollywood Theater, Pok Pok, etc.) You're also close to Yama, too.

Thanks! Ended up trying Revelry which was pretty good but far from authentic.

CityHunter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Heading to Portland in a couple days. I'm gonna for sure hit up Nong's and Pizza Jerk, and grabbed a res at Holdfast, Thinking about Willow - any reviews? Speaking of, I threw a short list together from blogs and were wondering if there was anything I HAVE to go to or I can just skip. Or anything else new that I should try (please, I need more recs!):

• Pop Bagel
  • Kim Jong Smokehouse
  • Revelry
  • Afuri
  • Pollo Norte
  • Tusk
  • Century Bar
  • Hat Yai
  • Han Oak (on the fence about this - it sounds great but LA already has a truck load of KBBQ...)
  • Pine Street Market
  • Basilisk
  • Superbite

Andurew Choi

Reaction score

Heading to Portland in a couple days. I'm gonna for sure hit up Nong's and Pizza Jerk, and grabbed a res at Holdfast, Thinking about Willow - any reviews? Speaking of, I threw a short list together from blogs and were wondering if there was anything I HAVE to go to or I can just skip. Or anything else new that I should try (please, I need more recs!):

• Pop Bagel
  • Kim Jong Smokehouse
  • Revelry
  • Afuri
  • Pollo Norte
  • Tusk
  • Century Bar
  • Hat Yai
  • Han Oak (on the fence about this - it sounds great but LA already has a truck load of KBBQ...)
  • Pine Street Market
  • Basilisk
  • Superbite

Hat yai, is overrated. I prefer chicken and guns over pollo Norte, and they're open late in a latenight food cart area. One thing you absolutely must do, is get little birds happy hour, it's from 10pm to midnight all days of the week. They're a nice little French bistro. They have this amazing burger for 5 dollars and the charcuterie board is divine.

I haven't been to century bar but there's always a huge line. I'm assuming it's a bar/club kind of thing, so if you're into that there's always white owl and dig a pony. Quarter world is a dope arcade bar with cheap drinks. 3 dollar cover though.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the bbq dinner at Han Oak, but I've been there for brunch twice -- it's wonderful. My wife likened it a brunch at a relative's (swanky) house out in the Korean countryside. Cocktails were strong, too. It's a much different take on Korean food than I've ever had in the States, and I enjoyed the diversity. I'd go for brunch again.

I second Kachka and Little Bird.

Has Pine Street Market calmed down at all? I went a few times in its first month and hated the madness.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When you get down to it, there are only about 5-6 places worth making a pilgrimage to Portland for, and possibly only one place:  Kachka, check out Eater's top 38 IN THE COUNTRY:  http://www.eater.com/2016/12/5/13492700/best-restaurants-in-america#kachka

Apparently they're opening a new spot, more of a family style + informal setup. I look forward to that.

CityHunter:

I would definitely hit hat yai. I havent been disappointed there yet. Great fried chicken, that and peoples pig fried chicken are my go to fried chix.

If your in the downtown area pepe le moko makes for a nice lowkey cocktail spot, under the ace hotel.

Olympia oysters on missisipi

Expatriate is a must. Naomi pomeroy bar spot.

Skip century and goto rum club across the way. Great cocktails, though can get too busy at peak times.

Last edited:

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

• Pop Bagel
  • Kim Jong Smokehouse
  • Revelry
  • Afuri
  • Pollo Norte
  • Tusk
  • Century Bar
  • Hat Yai
  • Pine Street Market
  • Basilisk
  • Superbite

Tusk is pretty bomb. I loved it--been in PDX a long time and finally a spot that evokes some the best of things I ate when I visited LA two years ago (Gjelina/Gjusta etc).

Second the callouts that Chicken and Guns is really strong as well as Expatriate.

Also: Dame. But you should love wine. Like, really love wine, not just want to drink recognizable producers from well known areas. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but that's not what they do...

And FWIW the last two times i went to Pine Street Mrkt it was fun. Not too crazy and the ramen was great, and the Trifecta Annex there turns out truly excellent pizza by the slice. Just don't go at Noon on a weekday. Ever.

Last edited:

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any protips on food or wine to order at dame? Just noticed that it moved in down the street from me, and the wine program sounds incredible.

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any protips on food or wine to order at dame? Just noticed that it moved in down the street from me, and the wine program sounds incredible.

Honesty, I think just asking the servers for advice/tips. They are pros, and you can talk about what you like, or ask for things that would pair well with whatever you're curious about eating. They want to talk about the wines, and get people stoked on them.

dixonmanor

Reaction score

Honesty, I think just asking the servers for advice/tips. They are pros, and you can talk about what you like, or ask for things that would pair well with whatever you're curious about eating. They want to talk about the wines, and get people stoked on them.

This. Stopped at Dame last time I was in Portland, and they had been open maybe 2 days. The owner was the somm/wine director at Ava Gene's, which always had a great list, and with Dame she's focusing on "natural" wines, i.e., unsulphered/unfined/etc. The staff are total pros (she's got one of my old co-workers from Naomi Pomeroy's pre-Beast days on the floor... what I'm saying is the place is staffed up with longtime, high-end, worked-everywhere-in-Portland servers who really know their ****), and everything we had was great. Plus, it's right across the street from Expatriate, so you can wander over there after for something a lil harder.

I've heard mixed things about Tusk, but it's coming from a great team/staff and I plan to try to squeeze in a meal there when I'm home for the holidays. I also always love Ned Ludd, which weirdly can be a controversial opinion. I dunno, maybe Jason French and I just have similar palates, but I always dig my meals there.

Ox is great. Kachka. Bollywood Theater. Ava Gene's...

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love Nedd Ludd, that spot never disappoints. Im due for a return. I could easily eat their charcuterie board for dinner and be well pleased.

I went to the Bamboo poke spot in downtown, its a quick grab and go. Nice quality fish served up in under a minute, would return.

I hit up angels food and fun after the ice storm and they had everything available at 730. Rare when you can kop relleno blanco/negro that late. This is my favorite mexican, does anyone have other goto's, preferably in the NE?

Last edited:

tomenugen

Reaction score

• Pop Bagel
  • Kim Jong Smokehouse
  • Revelry
  • Afuri
  • Pollo Norte
  • Tusk
  • Century Bar
  • Hat Yai
  • Pine Street Market
  • Basilisk
  • Superbite

That was a ****** weekend to be in Portland.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads