• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate penny loafers - does it exist?

sclemmons

Reaction score
I have had a couple pairs of Alden LHS including Black Chromexcel and Snuff Suede. Both highly recommended. I also have a Van last Michigan boot which works but is not my favorite.

Keep an eye out for the John Lobb Lopez. These are the definitive penny loafer in my view. Black is a good choice but rarely on sale. Brown Museum if you are only buying one. I found a ridiculous deal on a Navy Blue pair. If you wear an Alden 12D in the LHS, you likely wear a Lobb 11E in the Lopez. And the Lobbs do not stretch in any meaningful way, unlike the Aldens.

Lobb Lopez are a nice upgrade from Alden LHS, and their fit is constant across the different leathers. Alden LHS in the same size 12D fits differently whether you get Color 8, Snuff Suede, or Chromexcel. That is a pain to people like me in flyover country. Find your fit (size is key, and your Lobb last is equally important) in Lobb, and you can order them online, shop for the semi annual in-store sales around the July 4 and Christmas holidays, and live in them forever with periodic recrafting. Lopez has its own last. In my ultimate penny loafer competition, it is a winner.

Sorry about your wallet.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but here's a pic of four commonly recommended penny loafters, LtR: Edward Green Piccadilly, Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS, Crocket & Jones for BB Boston, and Allen Edmonds Patriot:
IMG_8499.jpeg

Imo, the unlined shell LHS is the ultimate penny loafer, as I believe @troika and others have said. Someone said they wish the LHS had a higher vamp, and the Patriot comes closes to that, followed by the Boston/Harvard. But after the LHS, the Piccadilly is my second favorite. It's less versatile and less comfortable, imo, more formal and quite a bit more expensive.

Johnniegold

Reaction score
I'm really liking them! I was afraid that they're be redundant with lhs or some vintage pairs I have, but they're different imo. The leather is thick and unlined, which is super cool. The sole is comfortable, but also cut close to the upper.

I will say, size up if you're a half size or at all concerned. They're pretty tight, and while I'm sure they'll stretch, after about 5 wears, they're holding steady. Fwiw, I took a 44 for a 10.5. If I was 11, I'd probly consider the 45.

View attachment 1533831

I get around to it eventually. 🤪😀

Picked these up earlier this year. Went with the 44 and I am quite pleased with them.

IMG_6981.jpeg

jellyroller

Reaction score
I've posted this before, but here's a pic of four commonly recommended penny loafters, LtR: Edward Green Piccadilly, Alden for Brooks Brothers LHS, Crocket & Jones for BB Boston, and Allen Edmonds Patriot:
View attachment 1904915
Imo, the unlined shell LHS is the ultimate penny loafer, as I believe @troika and others have said. Someone said they wish the LHS had a higher vamp, and the Patriot comes closes to that, followed by the Boston/Harvard. But after the LHS, the Piccadilly is my second favorite. It's less versatile and less comfortable, imo, more formal and quite a bit more expensive.

The Piccadilly may be less versatile or comfortable, but to my untrained eye, it is by far the most beautiful of the bunch.

wolfdale

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, are these Grant Stone loafers meant to be an homage to the famed Alden 986 LHS? Are they the same colour? I'm still a novice in the leather shoe world. I love the Alden's but I dont want to splurge on my very first pair of loafers. Thanks!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, are these Grant Stone loafers meant to be an homage to the famed Alden 986 LHS? Are they the same colour? I'm still a novice in the leather shoe world. I love the Alden's but I dont want to splurge on my very first pair of loafers. Thanks!

They're not the same at all! Not an homage. I did a comparison post somewhere a while ago in a different thread, can't find it right now.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member