• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The ultimate grey cashmere sweater?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which of these grey cashmere sweaters do you prefer? (or is there another option that is even nicer?)

https://www.carmelcashmere.com/prod...r-mens/mens-6-ply-cashmere-cabled-button-neck

http://www.drakes-london.com/iconic-four-ply-cashmere-shawl-collar-cardigan-1346

Another shawl collar: (appears to be a little bit slimmer cut.)

http://www.berkcashmere.co.uk/product.php?id=359&name=Shawl+Collar+Cardigan

Last edited:

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm square, but the "ideal" sweater has to be a crewneck or v-neck pullover, with or without cables.

I like the shawl neck cardigans, though.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the bottom one. Like the shawl collar with the slimmer fit, and it's also the least expensive of them all.

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the bottom one. Like the shawl collar with the slimmer fit, and it's also the least expensive of them all.

That's fair -- though I'm sneaky-minded enough that I wonder if that bottom one isn't on a form and pinned back, while the Drake's is laid out on the ground.

Least expensive is good, but cheapest isn't, if you see what I mean.

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with this. Berk is not "cheap." They're pretty well known for high-end, quality goods.

Pulled the trigger and ordered the Berk sweater. Will post fit pics when it arrives.

Least expensive is good, but cheapest isn't, if you see what I mean.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'll go with the first. I think the button-neck pullover is great for a casual look.

Last edited:

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm averse to rib knit for the most part and would choose the camelcashmere first
the Berk is doable though

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the grey Drake's (very happy with it; would buy again). We've been talking about these before on here, and it seems likely that the Drake's and Berk are identical, but Berk doesn't seem to sell a 40 or 38 under their own name.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweater showed up today. Tags say it's made by William Lockie.

Really like it. Fit and feel are perfect. (It does seem a bit slimmer than many I've seen, which I like.)

Will post pictures soon.

Last edited:

westhill

Reaction score
Looks great Kai, think you will get a good amount of use out of this garment. William Lockie's stuff always washes and wears
really well without bobbling in my experience . Their fine cashmere's to wear over a shirt , under a suit are also excellent. I get mine from
Marengo at 31 Savile Row. On the theme of the chunky cashmere knits I noticed a good promotion on these in Turnbull & Asser on
Jermyn Street last week, they were offering £100 off on some of their great Scottish heavyweights, I think they are mostly John Laing
another excellent producer and a great array of colours as typical for T&A.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it only have the 5 buttons you can see in the pic, or is there an extra higher up that fastens with a loop instead of a button hole?

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does it only have the 5 buttons you can see in the pic, or is there an extra higher up that fastens with a loop instead of a button hole?

There is a higher up button that fastens with a loop, for buttoning up when it gets really cold. You can see the loop in the Berk photo here:

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same as the Drake's then. From the looks of it, they seem to be from the same maker.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru