• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Top 5 Essentials for Men for Fall 2012

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I hope never in my life to refer to anything I own as a "statement sweater". If I do and it's something from J. Crew, I encourage any and all of you to shoot me in the face with a bazooka.

I'll remember this when you get caught up in Pitti fever, even if the sweater is not from J. Crew.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apart from the terrible douchebag delivery, all of those items are very solid and well-picked choices for an autumn wardrobe. I wouldn't want to tote, but thats personal.

Fraiche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and your sense of self- worth stands at risk of collapsing entirely when you go to a party and see some other asshole wearing your goddamn signature sweater.

I lol'd hard since it's easy to imagine some guys here actually experiencing that.

rikod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You can see the full story and pictures of each item here, but I wanted to get the communities thoughts and/or additions to this list. Certainly nothing ground-breaking but a few key items to consider:

#1: THE TWEED JACKET: A timeless wardrobe workhorse - the sport jacket. Look for classic tweed updated in a fitted and modern silhouette, like this stunning version from Gant by Michael Bastian. $950, available at Gant.

#2: DESERT BOOTS: The "Desert Trooper" is a new, updated version of Clark's classic desert boot. Same iconic leather upper, with a more aggressive, higher stance tread. Wear these confidently with jeans, fitted khaki's, a flannel suit - pretty much anything. $115, available at Clarks.

#3: THE UTILITY TOTE: There's really nothing fancy about this durable, waxed cotton utility tote and that's the point. People will appreciate your practicality. For a long time now I've been admiring the subtle beauty of all things Ernest Alexander. Based in New York City, they produce their entire line in the U.S.A. and are committed to ethical manufacturing. Available in a variety of colors, but you'll get the most out of charcoal. $195, available at Ernest Alexander.

#4: TORTOISE SHELL SUNGLASSES. By now you can probably tell there is a color story going on: gray, tan, rich chocolate - muted earth tones return this fall. These pieces are intended as bridge items - the glue that holds each look together, allowing you get the most out of your closet. Beautiful sunglasses are therefore essential, and here are two favorites in timeless tortoise shell: The Meteor by Ray Ban, $145 & The Harding by Garrett Leight, $310.

#5: A STATEMENT SWEATER. No fall story would be complete without an incredibly comfortable, luxurious sweater. This perfect layer represents all that's good about the fall - staying warm, welcoming cold autumn weekends and enjoying the great outdoors, even if it's just a stroll in a city park. Camel is one of my favorite colors and J.Crew's 100% cashmere, cable knit version is a beauty. $298, available at J.Crew.

What else? Send links if possible so I can see it.

Thank you.

"utility tote, statement sweater, tortoise shell, people will appreciate your practicality, modern silhouette, no fall story would be complete"

Gayest post ever, and that's saying a lot given the very tough competition. Congratulations

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Apart from the terrible douchebag delivery, all of those items are very solid and well-picked choices for an autumn wardrobe. I wouldn't want to tote, but thats personal.

Agreed. I've been given several totes over the summer and all immediately went into Value Village pile.

However, these "essentials" leave me wondering if pants are a non-essential item this fall. (Maybe freedom from pants is more than just a Independence Day bicycle ride?)

OmniscientCause

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't tote, never have never will...but I would wear everything else. I only wear tortise shell sunglasses as it is.

Last edited:

Gauss17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I pretty much just disagree. I have no problem with anything on the list, but I personally, have never used a tote bag (although those recyclable grocery bags come close) and am not big on tortoise shell sunglasses. I will also pretty much always pick regular boots over desert boots.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads