• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Tailors' Thread: Fit Feedback and Alteration Suggestions

carloapellido

Reaction score
I an currently having a suit made. However, it lacks some shape at the waist.
IMG_1074.jpeg

One solution I thought of is having a dart sewn here.
IMG_1075.jpeg

What are your thoughts?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s already there. Do you see the seam?
That seam attaches the side body to the front panel and adds shape.
Have you tried this on to see how much shape exists?

carloapellido

Reaction score
I tried it on back when the seams were still attached using a basting thread. I told them it lacked shape in the body and I was told to see first once the seams are sewn. This is the kind of shape that I want.
IMG_6509.jpeg

A more defined waist and consequently a flared skirt.

Would taking in the seam that connects the sidebody to the front panel achieve the shape that I want?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How to express waist suppression in the jacket depends on your body type and the tailor knowing how to cut for that body type.
Pockets are made on this jacket and now it’s very difficult to change that seam. There are limits to how much you can reduce that area without causing other issues.
You won’t know how much shape there is until you try it on. Jacket won’t look the same on a mannequin as on you.
Have seen jackets look shapeless on a mannequin and very shaped on the client and vice versa. Lots of shape on the mannequin and none on the client.

Last edited:

carloapellido

Reaction score
How to express waist suppression in the jacket depends on your body type and the tailor knowing how to cut for that body type.
Pockets are made on this jacket and now it’s very difficult to change that seam. There are limits to how much you can reduce that area without causing other issues.
You won’t know how much shape there is until you try it on. Jacket won’t look the same on a mannequin as on you.
Have seen jackets look shapeless on a mannequin and very shaped on the client and vice versa. Lots of shape on the mannequin and none on the client.
Alright. Thank you. I will try the garment on and communicate with my tailor the possible things to be changed, if there’s still any.

Brendon

Reaction score
I tried it on back when the seams were still attached using a basting thread. I told them it lacked shape in the body and I was told to see first once the seams are sewn. This is the kind of shape that I want.
View attachment 2259825
A more defined waist and consequently a flared skirt.

Would taking in the seam that connects the sidebody to the front panel achieve the shape that I want?
Talk to your tailor during the fittings phase. That is what the fittings are for. As Despos wrote approx...Too late now the pockets are sewn. This jacket in above photo does not have a significantly flared skirt. The front edge is just cut away extremely almost like a body coat.
If you want a flared skirt the jacket will accentuate the hips. As a woman's jacket must do to allow for the different body type. Why did you not have a photo with you in the jacket? It really is pointless to comment on the fit from the dummy.
If you want more waisted look to a coat from the front, then you are better off with a centre vent
Look forward to the photo of you in the jacket and after the garment has been pressed off.
Brendon

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamleflambeur