• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always found the idea that one must earn their dues when it comes to dressing fantastically foolish. Still do. Andy has far more experience than I do in dressing, particularly with black tie, yet, if we were to both wear dove grey dinner jackets, we'd both look as though we were wearing dove grey jackets. That experience should somehow change a very basic reality makes not even one iota of sense to me.

If you have an event where norms are mandated, of course you should endeavor to abide them. In literally every other scenario, you should do whatever you please, rules and experience be damned.

Maybe I'm misreading the discussion, but I don't think people are claiming that one must earn one's dues before wearing anything. I think it's more that if you have more experience with clothes, understand the rules, understand the reasoning behind the rules, and know why you want to wear something, you're in a better position to strategically break rules and norms in appropriate situations.

Experience lets someone like Andy think, "A dove grey jacket would be fun to wear as a change of pace from my cream dinner jacket when having dinner with my wife." Someone without experience might see him in that jacket and think, "I should wear that to this conservative black-tie event." Two people in the same setting / context wearing the same thing aren't going to look different because of experience (except maybe the person more used to the clothes might look a bit more comfortable), as you say two guys wearing dove grey dinner jackets are going to be two guys wearing dove grey dinner jackets. But the guy with experience isn't going to wear something a bit more fanciful to a more formal / solemn event.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Andy has far more experience than I do in dressing, particularly with black tie, yet, if we were to both wear dove grey dinner jackets, we'd both look as though we were wearing dove grey jackets.

:bigstar:

I was gonna post a "wax on, wax off' meme, but my wife wouldn't let me. But you're quite right.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Purely for my curiosity can someone please elaborate on this ‘**** in the side of the bib’.
A **** on the left side the bib makes it vastly easier to attach the studs to a marcella front shirt. You put studs on a shirt from the front, which makes it difficult to attach the stud on the inner side of the shirt. Being able to get one's hand inside and behind the shirt front makes it so much easier.
IMG_2766.jpg IMG_2767.jpg

ababac

Reaction score
I have the vaguest most distant memory of seeing one white tie shirt up close in my life decades ago. It may have been part of my Dad’s RAF officer’s mess kit. I think there was a vertical tab with a button hole on the shirt front that somehow attached to the waistcoat or trouser front in order to keep the shirt front from ballooning out. Did I just make that up or does anyone know what I’m on about?

you didn't make it up, it is a thing that exists. i have a white tie shirt that has the tab (and side ****, and a loop at the back to keep the bow tie in place when wearing a wing collar). the suit i have just had commissioned will have a corresponding button.

this post has all the details you'd need.

this is the shirt i have.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you didn't make it up, it is a thing that exists. i have a white tie shirt that has the tab (and side ****, and a loop at the back to keep the bow tie in place when wearing a wing collar). the suit i have just had commissioned will have a corresponding button.

The loop at the back of the neck is to keep the waistcoat in place, is it not? The tie would be higher than the yoke of the shirt, around the stiff collar.

ababac

Reaction score
The loop at the back of the neck is to keep the waistcoat in place, is it not? The tie would be higher than the yoke of the shirt, around the stiff collar.
you are quite right. i was confusing it with the attached wing collar shirt i returned in favour of that one (on your excellent advice).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting and enlightening stuff.

I’m still a bit puzzled by the **** on the side. I have a Marcella shirt that takes studs. I simply fix the studs to the right hand side of the shirt first then fasten them the same as if they were buttons.

I’m glad I don’t have the occasion to wear white tie. I’m not sure it would be comfortable with all the beyond the scenes fastenings, including braces and the two buckles at the back of the waistcoat along with shirt tab, boiled shirt front etc.

Interesting that I got a Marcella shirt (turn down collar) thinking it looked great and that the pique weave of the bib was the less formal option. After all that’s similar to the weave of a polo shirt!! More recently I learned that the pique weave is a holdover from the transition from white tie and it’s specific purpose is to be more dense than the surrounding shirt to hold more starch for increased stiffness. Hence the need to keep the front strapped down.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting and enlightening stuff.

I’m still a bit puzzled by the **** on the side. I have a Marcella shirt that takes studs. I simply fix the studs to the right hand side of the shirt first then fasten them the same as if they were buttons.
A lot of studs won't work the same as buttons. They're either too big or a combination of the stiffness (or thickness, perhaps) of the shirt front make it difficult to attach the studs the way you describe without mangling the bib, which then defeats the purpose of a nice, stiff shirt front.

So, you attach the studs to the left side of the shirt first, then bring the spring bar through the right side from the back. Once you can access the shirt front from behind, it's simple.

JJ Katz

Reaction score
I think Andy57 was pondering a 'dove-grey' DJ? I recall pictures somewhere (I think the "I am Dandy" blog) showing the uber-elegant Dr Churchwell wearing something along those lines which looked spectacular.

Faux Brummell

Reaction score
I had perceived that jacket as light blue, but I think you’re right, it’s closer to dove grey.

KC+8.jpg

I think Andy57 was pondering a 'dove-grey' DJ? I recall pictures somewhere (I think the "I am Dandy" blog) showing the uber-elegant Dr Churchwell wearing something along those lines which looked spectacular.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
View attachment 999445

I finally understand what this is about.
I'm actually contemplating having a bib such as that made. Starching would certainly be easier. So far my experiments with achieving sufficient stiffness on the shirt front without having the shirt body also stand up on its own have not been particularly successful.

I'm thinking loops on the sides for braces, and some contraptions for attaching to the waistcoat and trouser top button.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads