• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of Black Tie: Your Observations

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether they really are effeminate or not, and whether making that distinction is reasonable, is beside the point. It's a matter of the contrast between the fact that women are perfectly happy to wear pant suits, loafers, blazers, and all kinds of other things that have their origins in menswear whereas they are not happy to see men wear something even slightly feminine looking. Even if that thing has a long history in masculine attire, as the opera pump does. Indeed, look at the welcome, even the fawning, that women who dress in menswear get on this forum. I think it's fairly safe to say that a man attempting to dress in womenswear on a comparable women's forum would not be so welcomed. Just some things to think about.
I'll happily remain in the minority here. Not a fan at all.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But again, liking them or not isn't the point.

ETA: Nevermind. I thought you meant you didn't like opera pumps. I didn't see the bolded text at first.
No, not at all. I actually do like opera pumps. Not enough to completely write off lace-ups for formal wear, but they certainly have a place, in my estimation.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I seem to be overly picky today, but I also don't understand the use of "allow" in this context. The wife retains some sort of authority over your clothing choices?

Well, my wife and I were recently married, and, when discussing footwear, she did not care for the opera pumps. Now, clearly, I can wear what I please, but to the extent that my wife would greatly prefer that I did not wear opera pumps, I am not going to go ahead and do so. Perhaps allow is not the correct word. However, it functionally is.

aj805

Reaction score
Well, my wife and I were recently married, and, when discussing footwear, she did not care for the opera pumps. Now, clearly, I can wear what I please, but to the extent that my wife would greatly prefer that I did not wear opera pumps, I am not going to go ahead and do so. Perhaps allow is not the correct word. However, it functionally is.

It's congratulations, then!

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in the opinion of the crowd: Thoughts on a midnight blue dinner jacket w/ black tuxedo pants?

Background: Getting a standard tuxedo rig for my wedding (black, grosgrain peak, 1 button, jetted pockets). I'm interested in a classic look and feel that this is most versatile (i.e. can be used for other black tie events regardless of season and/or wedding parties). Buuuuuut, if I wanted to add some life to it do you think it would be possible to do a midnight blue dinner jacket with silk shawls on top of the black tux pants? I know a white shawl DJ and black is pretty standard, but that would only really work during the summer. Also, I know people here would notice, but do you think silk shawl DJ lapel and and grosgrain pants trim is a venial black tie offense?

Don't do it. Your black tie rig should feature matching jacket and trousers or jacket and trousers that are clearly not meant to match (e.g. cream dinner jacket or something in velvet). Mixing black trousers with a midnight blue jacket will clash more than liven anything up.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So I have been invited to a black-tie gala during my European vacation in a few weeks. I'm not in the market for a tuxedo at the moment (need some shoring up of my business wardrobe) and I am wondering if it is possible to simply wear a dark suit (navy or medium gray), white shirt, and a black tie? Apart from Spier & McKay, I don't see any thing else that's particularly affordable (under $500 total). An attendee has suggested I get a black suit from Zara (!) at this rate (and their prices) I'm actually considering it since I have many all the other required items (which I wouldn't if I purchased a tux). I also don't want to purchase a tuxedo in a rush. I have a feeling I'll get many "Splurge!" replies but hoping to get anything else.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interested in the opinion of the crowd: Thoughts on a midnight blue dinner jacket w/ black tuxedo pants?

Don't do it. Your black tie rig should feature matching jacket and trousers or jacket and trousers that are clearly not meant to match (e.g. cream dinner jacket or something in velvet). Mixing black trousers with a midnight blue jacket will clash more than liven anything up.
This is the right advice. Don't mix 'em.

Andy57

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have been invited to a black-tie gala during my European vacation in a few weeks. I'm not in the market for a tuxedo at the moment (need some shoring up of my business wardrobe) and I am wondering if it is possible to simply wear a dark suit (navy or medium gray), white shirt, and a black tie? Apart from Spier & McKay, I don't see any thing else that's particularly affordable (under $500 total). An attendee has suggested I get a black suit from Zara (!) at this rate (and their prices) I'm actually considering it since I have many all the other required items. I also don't want to purchase a tuxedo in a rush. I have a feeling I'll get many "Splurge!" replies but hoping to get anything else.
I think the answer to your question is somewhat dependent on the nature of the event. If it is a gala where people are expected to wear black tie, then I think it would be ill-considered of you to not wear the correct attire. Your alternative is to decline the invitation. If it is a black-tie optional type of event, then a dark suit, white shirt, and dark tie will probably suffice. Do not buy a black suit unless you are, in fact, and undertaker (in which case it's likely that you already possess one).

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gotcha, thanks for the input! I've always liked idea of having a unqiue black tie compatible outfit to stand out amongst the crowd...oddly enough I've been torn between the Skyfall midnight blue tux and velvet dinner jacket, so I might as well look into the later one if the need for another dinner jacket arises.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads